Saturday 30 April 2011

Power Tools Cordless Impact Wrench - impact wrench, impact wrenches


This is the third cordless impact I own, and is definitely the strongest! I also have the smaller DeWalt DW055K-2 and a Milwaukee 9079-22. Two things lacking on the DW059K-2 that the others have is variable speed and electric brake. I don't mind the lack of variable speed, but I really miss the electric brake. I mainly use the impact for automotive lug nuts. The lack of electric brake sometimes causes nuts to go flying when they reach the end of the stud. However, I can take this wrench to the track and get a whole weekend's use out of it without the battery becoming weak. I cannot say the same for the Milwaukee. The DeWalt also seems a bit better balanced than the Milwaukee. (The smaller DW055K-2 won't loosen my torqued lug nuts, but that is not what I bought it for. It's size makes it very convenient for MANY smaller tasks and has surprising power for its size) DeWALT DW059K-2 18-Volt Ni-Cad 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench Kit

This is an excellent tool. It's high quality and has a lot of power. It can take of lug nuts without any effort. It actually broke a bolt on me when I was tightening a nut.



I gave it 4 stars because it doesn't have any power adjustment the way that an air powered impact wrench has. It's an all or nothing scenario.



I am also not found of the trigger because you squeeze the top of it to remove a bolt and the bottom of the trigger to tighten. It's too heavy of a tool to share both of these functions on the same trigger. Make it like a drill where there is a forward and reverse switch. It's also very loud with the hammer action. Other than these issues, it's a great impact wrench and I highly recommend it. Especially if you already use 18 volt Dewalt tools and could use a couple of extra batteries.

This impact wrench is larger than most others, and a bit heavier, but with more torque than you'd ever need it's an easy trade. Even for Dewalt, who make great tools, this wrench is above average for quality. It just feels like it means business. I've yet to find something it can't loosen or tighten (and I've been looking - at home and around my mother's ranch for rusty bolts just to see if it can do the job - it can).

If you are looking for a cordless impact that will do the job this is definitley the one to buy. Plenty of staying power and the battery recharge is quick. If you want to tighten up stove bolts I have a Makita and a Miluwakee I'll sell you but if you want to have something with enough power to do something buy this one.

My only gripe on this tool is the trigger. It may work fine for others, but it just doesn't seem to be that user friendly for me. I'm used to a single triger, with a FWD/REV selector switch. It is a bit large, but works perfectly, is powerful, and has a long battery life. I used it on wheel lugs, up to 3/4 in. bolts. I recommend it.

Used the DW059K cordless impact for rotating tires on a vehicle changing brackets on a farm tractor and screwing lag bolts on a garage door, still have not recharged the battery. Very flexible power tool sure beats starting up the air compresser or plugging in a corded impact wrench. Highly recommend this product and as with all the Dewalt tools that I have purchased the high quality is top notch. This cordless impact will last a long time.

Before I purchased this Impact Wrench I was skeptical about cordless, electric, impact wrenches, I did not think they could be as good as pneumatic impact wrenches at removeing lug nuts. After reading the reviews and the return policy, I bought this one, got it home and it more than amazed me. It does the job as good as or better than many air-driven impact wrenches. The only downside is unlike other DeWalt cordless tools, there is no electric brake, this is only a minor inconvienience. The case this wrench comes with is perfect for keeping in the car or truck, it even has enough room to leave a deep impact socket on the tool and fit in the case, along with enough room for the charger, both batteries, and storage room for more sockets and other attachments. This tool is great for home, work and road side needs.

My plan was to use it in the junkyard to break bolts that wasn't easy to use a breaker bar for. So my review here is for automotive purposes only; I'm blissfully oblivious to it's other uses.



It's advertised as 300ft/lb; it feels weaker. It works okay as a power ratchet to get the nuts out after it's broken, but it doesn't do a good job breaking nuts. It'll sit there hammering without anything happening. The breaker bar or the ratchet would get the nut out no problem. Just to get broken bolts off, I could have used a 1/4" impact that has about 100ft/lb torque that costs $50 or so.



The other thing is that it has a huge behind and it's heavy. It's hard to position it since it's so heavy and huge.



This doesn't have the tease trigger or the variable trigger that the 1/4" impacts have. So, it's all or nothing - like an air impact. Although it has a rocker button; one way for forward and one for backwards.



So, if you think it's going to save you at the junkyard from jumping on your breaker bar, it won't. I would recommend a 1/4" impact with the socket adapters to get the screws off fast as a ratchet since it's lighter and will fit easier. Otherwise an air source and tool.



Also, the batteries are not lithium ion on this set. For a $300 set, I think it's just old stock.

Tool works well on day to day use of lag screws 6-8"

in length. Whether installing or removeing. Only problem

is rocker switch fails to engage gun after about 2 months

of use requireing repair. But every brand that I have

used in the past that was electric with same switch type

also failed.I will purchase the Dewalt impact cordless

from now on because it is cordless and there is no differ-

ence in this one and the electric version.



Ricky Evans

Modular/Mobile Home

Set-up - Impact Wrench - Cordless Impact - Cordless Tools - Impact Wrenches'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information