Friday 29 April 2011

Physical Therapy - ankle weights, adjustable ankle weights


I've been weight training for years and even do competitive stairclimbing. I bought these with the idea that I would use them to train for stairclimbing.



I'm not a small woman...5 feet 8 inches, 135 lbs, but these weights were almost impossible to keep on my ankles...they just don't seem to be made for an average woman's ankles.



I may pass these onto my husband who is 6 feet 2 and 220 lbs. I would not recommend these for an average sized woman. Valeo AW20 Adjustable Ankle / Wrist Weights (10-Pounds Each, 20-Pound Total)

While ten pounds on each wrist or ankle may not sound too extreme, any extended period of time with these weights on is going to fatigue just about anyone. Having said this, it should be noted that adjusting the amount of weight is a simple matter. Given the range of weight options, the overall appearance is somewhat large and bulky. If you are wearing these things, you really can't hide it. However, if you want to give a turbo shot to your daily walk or other activity, these things can't be beat.

I bought these with the idea of doing various exercises I had been doing at physical therapy. The bulkiness of the individual weights was not what I expected. The first time I used the weights, I had a bruise the size of an orange on the back of my leg.



I still use them, but wish I had different ones.

I use these as wrist weights while using a Nordic Track Ski Machine. For this purpose they are great. I took four neoprene soda can coolers and slit them down the side to use as inner padding, two on each wrist. Stacking a cotton wrist band for sweat absorption, can cooler, can cooler, then pull the wrist weight tight on each wrist and they fit nice and snug and don't move around at all. Took a few times to get the sequence right but now it's a snap. Not sure the material the product is made of will last a real long time but I'm happy with the product and the price is right, plus ten pounds on each arm for an hour will give you an awesome workout.



edit 3-15-09

After using these great weights for a time I can offer some advice on handling. Be gentle with these. If you toss/drop them on the floor after you take them off you'll eventually rupture the plastic sand bags inside and leak sand out a little at a time. Still-- a very nice product.

I'm 5'4" tall and weigh 135#. The weights were way too big for me & slipped off the lower legs & on to the heels. Couldn't make them any tighter. The outside construction is good. However the weight inserts are verly flimsily covered & poorly sewn & very difficult to re insert. I would be afraid that they would split open after a few handlings. If you larger than I & wouldn't want to remove the weights then it's fine. For me it wouldn't work. I have seen other products with insert bags that are sewn much better & out of stronger material. Unfortunately it's not that easy finding 20# ankle weights.

I'm rather large (6'3" and 240lbs) and I needed more weight than the average person.



These fit the bill. They are comfortable and adjustable (2 lbs at a time).



They go well with Jumpsole shoes.



I get a really good workout with these, an X vest, and Jump sole shoes. I walk my dogs twice a day and on at least 1 of those walks I'm loaded with weights. More exercise in less time. These ankle weights are the key to a great workout since you must lift your leg with every step.



I don't know that running in these would be a good idea though. May be bad on the joints. But I'm no doctor.



Great quality and great comfort.

I wanted a set of adjustable weights for physical therapy and strength training for my back, core, and legs. I am a lean female, and I knew that 10lb weight each on my legs were going to be over the top, but I figured it still would come in handy for leg lifts and what not, and for just walking around I can decrease the weights to just 2~6 lbs each leg.



I received the item today, and I must say, while I am impressed how sturdy they look, with adjustable velcro all the way around, it is HUGE. I look like I have gorilla feet, even when I remove 3 weights off from each. They look durable and long lasting, but the velcro is almost too strong to be taking it on and off frequently... in fact my thumb's sore from tring to rip the velcro off.



I think my husband (160~170 lbs martial arts buff) would be happy to make better use of this, but I might need to order something a bit smaller and formfitting for everyday use.

I have two sets of these weights for leg workouts a ten lb. set and this 20 lb. set. This set is 10lb. each thus 20lb. They are bulky and very hard to strap on, they slip around a lot and are not comfortable. I need more then the 5 lb. ankle weights so I put up with these because I really do notice a difference in the workout using these, I just wish they were easier to get on and not so clumsy. The 5lb. each set is far more comfortable on the ankle and easier to put on, maybe I should have gotten to pairs of those and used two on each leg, hmmm. - Weights - Adjustable Ankle Weights - Ankle Weights - Exercise'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information