Saturday 30 April 2011

Home Network - switch, gigabit


We've had this switch for about 6 months now. We have a Netgear router with a gigabit wired connection wired to the switch. The switch is connected to a Dish satellite box, Blu-ray, Roku XD and Yamaha receiver. Having the gigabit connection, the Roku produces HD quality on every station we watch that has it. Netflix is crystal clear and perfect, never had a problem at all. Our Blu-ray player also has a number of stations that the Roku doesn't, so we can watch all of those crystal clear also. Plus, our satellite box now updates in about 5 minutes which used to take 20 to 30 minutes with our old regular 10/100 switch. NETGEAR 5-port Home Theater and Network Gaming Hub GS605AV

I used this to connect to my router using CAT 5e. I split the cable signal between my TV for Skype, Netflix, etc. along with my Home Receiver for Pandora and its built-in Windows 7 Play-to features. The Netflix app rates the connection at near HD quality. Skype and streaming audio and video work like a dream.

I was running out of LAN ports from my router as most audio video gadgets are going network capable. I connected it to my Netgear WNDR3700 and connected the gaming hub to my Tivo, Xbox 360 and Home Theater PC. I still have room for expansion and absolutely would buy again.

I had a dilemma I was facing; I had bought a Vizio Internet TV and a Samsung Blu-Ray player and have a TiVo, but I also have a good old dependable Linksys WRT54G router that I have been wary to replace based on the newer 'dummy-proof' antennaless models on the market because I have a pretty good 200 foot wireless range with it I don't want to give up until I truly I have to. I knew adding those other two devices would add more congestion to my network (which includes an iPhone I use often in the house), and the TiVo had an N adapter that ran too hot for my comfort and interfered with my secondary rabbit ears that I use to get a few more antenna channels.



I was about ready to give up and switch out my G router for an N router when I came upon this and the light bulb went off. I could spend $90 to buy a router, re-set it up all over again, have to get a new strong wireless password and probably have to put on that vendor's useless crudware on my PC, all to get a few extra megabits. Or I could just run an ethernet cable I already had wound up in my basement (leftover from years ago before my sister moved out), run that to the room and connect it to this switch for only $30.



I went with this option and I'm very pleased that I did. The switch is low profile, and it behaves exactly as it needs to, hooking the TV, TiVo and Blu-ray up at an average of 12 megabits p/s (I'm on an 18 Mb cable connection but 12 is still more than enough). Since it's in a bedroom I did cover the lights with electrical tape, but beyond that this has done exactly what I wanted it to do; extend my router's life for another year or two and give a stable connection to my bedroom entertainment system so I can Netflix and Hulu to my heart's content, and hook up my laptop to the ethernet in case I need a little more speed than I usually get over wi-fi. Also, I can use my antenna again without having the TiVo on the N adapter. I'm glad I got this, and would get it again if I have to expand my network further.

Very simple and straight forward. I am using this along with the Wii USB LAN adapter and an AT&T 2wire DSL modem in order to use Netflix. The only thing I had to provide was the password for the 2Wire which was obtained from their site. Work's like a champ.

Product is solid. Documentation is unclear if all 5 ports are gigabit. That is reason for 4 stars. The way it is labeled makes one think that the green ports are gigabit and the amber are fast Ethernet. Works well, no issues. Streaming movies no issues. Satisfied. - Switch - Gigabit - Hdtv - Netgear'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information