Saturday 30 April 2011

Garmin 405 - garmin 405, gps watch


Update: after two months of using the 405, I have some additional observations. Based on my experiences, I would lower the star rating to 3 stars. The decrease in rating is due to incredibly poor software and support from Garmin. The hardware is still extremely impressive, despite the software failings.



Software and Support:



The Garmin Connect (which allows you to track your training progress) is nothing more than a beta with limited functionality and slow response times. Moreover, it is still very buggy. The software which automatically uploads the computer data to Garmin Connect just suddenly stopped working a month ago.



Hold times to get in touch with Garmin telephone support is 45 minutes. Email support is terrible - it has taken a full MONTH to have two email exchanges with support. All this and the problem has not been fixed.



Moreover, the software is poorly designed. You have to constantly monitor Garmin's website for software updates (there is no "Check for Update" feature). If a problem occurs in the software, there are no features to aid in resolving the problem.



Hardware:



First impressions: the form factor is nice, but you need to be aware that the watch is somewhat "thick". If you are wearing a button down shirt, the 405 will not fit comfortably under a sleeve cuff. However, looking at it from above, it looks like a normal watch. Wearing it while running will probably not draw a second look from other runners. This is also a downside since you want people to notice your shiny new 405.



Setup - this took only a few minutes and was very easy. TThe 405 walks you through a brief tutorial. Overall, setup was very easy.



Navigation - this takes a few minutes to get the hang of. Once you have the buttons down, it is quite easy to navigate. The sensitivity of the touch bezel is adjustable for your taste. I've played with the 305 in the store and the 405 actually seems more intuitive to navigate.



Initial lock - finding the satellites takes a few minutes the first time. It will lock on much faster if you are not moving. Subsequent times to find the satellites was much quicker.



Use - After you have turned on the GPS and gotten a lock, all you need to do is press start to begin your workout. It was very easy to use. I basically forgot about it while I was running other than to check my pace every mile or so. Kept a lock the entire time (keep in mind this was in Chicago's Lincoln Park - roughly 2/3rds of the sky is clear (except for trees) so achieving constant lock-on should not be a problem for any GPS. I have not tested this downtown).



For those worried about water resistance, my first usage of my 405 was in the pouring rain. It didn't seem to notice (or care) about the rain. It can handle a good amount of water without issue.



Syncing - you need to download the software from Garmin (it's actually a web plug in). However, the manual was clearly rushed out the door. Not only does it contain typos (at one point it refers to the wrong step) but it is not clear from the manual that you need to download the USB drivers. DO NOT put the ANT USB key into the computer until you have downloaded the specific ANT drivers from Garmin (so you have to download two different pieces of software - the plugin and the USB driver). If you plug the ANT key into the computer w/o the Garmin USB driver, Windows will find what it thinks is the correct driver (which is the wrong driver). The syncing will not work if you do this. Just a heads up.



I wish I owned a 305 to compare it to. In the Garmin store, the 405 did not see that much smaller than the 305, although the 405 was clearly more elegant. Functionally, I hear that they are extremely similar. You just need to personally evaluate whether the 405 is really worth the increased cost over the 205/305. Personally, I plan on keeping the 405.



Battery Life - After playing with it for 30 minutes, taking it on an hour's run and syncing it with my computer, it only used 12% of the battery life. Garmin Forerunner 405 Water Resistant Running GPS With USB ANT Stick (Green)

I previously owned a Forerunner 201 and my husband runs with a 205. What I really like about the 405 is how quickly it finds the satellites and is ready for a run. I also haven't had any issues with reception, which I often had with my 201.



Unfortunately, that's about the only thing that's improved with the 405 in my eyes. Here are my main issues with it:



- There's no way to turn it off. Sure, it goes into a "power save" mode. In this mode, the battery lasts about a week. You're completely draining the battery every week when you could only be using the battery for an hour or so several times a week. Each time a rechargable battery is discharged and recharged, it uses up a cycle of the battery and there are only so many cycles a battery can go through. At this rate, the battery is going to get used up really quickly. This is poor design. (Or perhaps they're hoping to capitalize on the revenue from people having to replace their batteries more often...)



- If you have small wrists, the watchband is too large and can be uncomfortable. I preferred the velcro strap on the 201. The 205/305 models also have the option to purchase a more comfortable strap that fits small wrists better. I contacted Garmin and there is no such option for the 405.



- The touch bezel is overly sensitive. Yes, you can adjust the sensitivity, but then once you do, it's nearly impossible to use it while running because it's not sensitive enough. There's no happy medium. Sorry Garmin, but old-fashioned buttons work better for pushing during activity. I'm constantly accidently getting into "virtual partner" mode while I'm trying to push the lap button.



- The low battery indicator obscures the entire screen. I did an entire run the other day with text that said "LOW BATTERY" across the entire display. I knew the battery was low, but I wanted to see how my run was going anyway! I can't find any way to dismiss this warning. It also obscures all menus (when not in training mode). It's very annoying because the device has at least 30-40 minutes of charge left after this indicator appears, but it renders the unit nearly inoperable for it's last 30-40 minutes before the battery dies.



- The computer sync only works with PC. With Mac market share growing by leaps and bounds, it's very surprising when companies don't come out with simultaneous platform support. Shame on you, Garmin. The website does indicate that support is coming "Fall 2008." I guess we'll see. (EDIT: I've been informed that this model now syncs with Mac, which is great! I ended up returning this product so I cannot speak to how that works.)



I really wish I'd just stuck with my 201. I feel like this upgrade was a waste of money. - Garmin - Running - Garmin 405 - Gps Watch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information