Saturday 30 April 2011

Easy To Use - easy to use


The instructions were a little challenging, but when you get this thing figured out, it works well. Now that I know how to use it, I will use it regularly to keep my chains sharp. I heat my home with wood and this is a lot easier than using a file. Ken Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener

Wow! This machine does a great job! Considering how little I had to invest in this sharpener, it has saved me a ton to time and money. No more dropping off chains at the shop for sharpening. Now I can charge my buddies! Very satisfied.

I am an older lady that likes to work in the woods with a chainsaw, and have always dreading hitting a rock or dirt, dulling my saw. When my husband was alive, it wasn't a problem, as he could sharpen it for me, but I have tried to sharpen my own in the past, but never could do it right. I just purchased this sharpener, and sharpened my chain for the first time today. It took me awhile, but after getting the "hang of it", it was absolutely wonderful. It took very little time and does a wonderful job. This will save me time, money and frustration to say the least. I couldn't be happier with a product.

As stated in previous reviews, the instructions for this sharpener aren't very clear. However, once you become familiar with its operation, this sharpener really works well. Easy to use and gets great results. Very affordable price and solidly constructed. Highly recommended.

This is rather long. But I do feel it is well worth the read.



Just as some of the others, I found the instructions leaving me wondering. Also, the pictures of the various examples in the directions are very small. You will need a magnifying glass to see those pictures.



But once you get the hang of using this device, it is a breeze.



Here are a few tips:



(1) there is a second component of this machine that has numbers on a dial. These numbers represent various angles to sharpen your chain.



The specific angle you set this to will be found in the literature that comes with your chain. For example, I have a Poulan Chain Saw. I use Oregon, S56 chains. The literature that comes with it tells me the angle for sharpening the teeth is 30 degrees. So, that is the number I rotate this component to and set it.



(2) you will have to sharpen each tooth in the chain. This machine does not automatically pull the chain through and sharpen each one. If some of you were thinking the sharpening was automatic welcome to the club. I thought so also. No question, this is quite tedious work. But when you have finished you will have a very sharp chain that cuts just as if it were new.



So, after sharpening one tooth, you will have to manually pull the chain to enable the next tooth to be in position to be sharpened. In moving from one tooth to the next, you will notice the next tooth is

on the other side of the chain, across from the previous one. So, in order to sharpen the next tooth, you will have to rotate the wheel in the other direction to the same corresponding angle number on the wheel in order for the grinder to be in proper position to sharpen that tooth.



You will know where to position the tooth because you will want the grinding disc to come down, just butting up with that tooth. Don't worry. You will see how this is all done, once you sharpen a couple of teeth. The only problem I thought I had was to somehow mark my beginning point with the first tooth, so I would know when I had sharpened all of them.



This is what I thought, anyway. However, that was not the case at all.



You will know when you have reached the last tooth to sharpen because you will see the polished, fresh metal on each tooth you have sharpened, as opposed to the dull finish of an unsharpened tooth.



(3) the direction you put the chain in the slot that holds it while the teeth are being sharpened is in the opposite the direction the chain goes on the chain saw. At least, I think I am correct on this.



(4) if you are going to attach to a table, make certain your chain will hang freely underneath and be able to be manually rotated.



I decided to bolt my chain saw sharpener to a cinder block, instead of a table or vise. Then I put 4 more cinder block underneath it, so it would be appropriate height. Or put the cinder block on a table.



This worked out quite well. Only thing was I had to find about a 4 inch to 4.5 inch bolt long enough to go through the foot of this device and the cinder block, on the front of the device.



I used regular toilet seat bolts for the other two bolts for the back.



The 4 inch to 4.5 inch bolt has to have the same head as the original bolt. You will see why this is, when you take a look at the original bolt that comes with it. You will have to loosen two Phillips screws to

get to that bolt.



If you are going to use a cinder block to attach the sharpener, as I did, you will have to knock out a portion of the cinder block with a cold chisel, so the chain will hang such that it will be able to be

manually moved through the holder.



Now, my chain saw sharpener is portable. All I have to do is get my 2 wheel, push truck and I can take it any where I want where there is electricity.



(5) when you press the button on the machine for it to start sharpening, I believe you want the grinding wheel to just touch the angle of the tooth. This will produce a few sparks.



It doesn't take much to sharpen each tooth. Hold the handle down, until there are no more sparks. This will indicate that tooth has been sufficiently sharpened.



Wow! This machine really sharpens! I just used it. It really works!



No more taking my chain saw to a shop for them to charge me $15, just to do something I can do myself.



This sharpener is going to save me a lot of money and time. And for the money it was definitely a very good buy.



Whenever it comes time to purchase new chains, I will keep a record of how long they last from now on, using my new sharpener.



Really happy I bought this.



Hope I have helped someone with my thoughts.



patrick - Easy To Use'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information