Friday 29 April 2011

Hard Drive - esata cable, external hard drive


This cable appears to be well shielded and has good length for the price. The only drawback would be the inflexible nature of the cable, making it difficult to use with a desktop replacement/notebook. If you have a desktop setup then the cable would be perfect since it would remain in nearly the same orientation but it is difficult to get the cable to change directions otherwise. StarTech 3-Feet Shielded External eSATA Cable M/M (ESATA3)

I bought this extra eSATA cable to go with a Western Digital DVR Expander even though the DVR Expander comes with a USB cable and an eSATA cable included. I had read in other customer comments on other external hard drive products that the included cables are usually "garbage". For the extra couple of bucks I ordered this cable along with the DVR Expander. I'm sure glad I did. The eSATA cable included would not plug into the DVR Expander or the back of the DVR, obviously from ill-fitting plugs. But this "3 feet Shielded External eSATA Cable M/M" fit perfectly and works beautifully. Good product and good reason to encourage honest customer comments. Thanks, Amazon!

Just be aware that eSATA does not carry power, only data - something i didn't know about previously. Therefore, for my external 2.5 inch drive, I had to also connect the USB cable simultaneously so it got power, which is kind of funny. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with this cable. It worked perfectly.



Also, I have no complaints about cable rigidity or the cable coming out like others have mentioned. It seems fine to me.

I bought this cable to reconnect an external eSATA drive to my TiVo. At one point I had to move the TiVo and the drive. When I initially tried to reconnect them, I could not get the original cable to seat properly. Subsequently the TiVo would not recognize the drive or boot up. In order to get the TiVo to boot I had to disconnect the drive and lose all the shows I had saved to that point.



This cable worked great! It connected snugly to both the TiVo and the hard drive. Once I started the TiVo with this cable in place, the TiVo booted properly, recognized the hard drive and I was back in business.

I bought this to connect an external hard drive to a new e-SATA PCI board (which had been connected by USB 2.0). My aim was to radically incease read/write speeds and therefore accelerate the backups that I run.



The cable worked perfectly. The connections are a little fiddly, but that is the design of the connectors, not a fault of the cable manufacturer. I got exactly the result I wanted, which is a much faster backup process. I would recommend e-SATA connections to anyone writing large quantities of data to external drives. - External Hard Drive - Esata Cable - Hard Drive - Cables'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information