Friday 29 April 2011

Inflatable Kayak - inflatable kayak


We needed a cheap way to get into kayaking and found this kayak on Amazon. If cheap and easy is what you are after this is the way ahead. We got it to the lake and had it inflated in minutes with a coleman quick pump(which is not that good). I also purchased a skeg and some ali paddles.



Minutes later we were paddling around the lake figuring out turns and direction techniques. We have also been down flat water rivers and have had great fun. The boat is super stable and even take our 7 month old in it. Sevylor Tahiti Fishing/Hunting Inflatable Kayak

When I was looking for an inflatable boat I was looking for ease of inflating and deflating while I was camping. It is very easy to inflate and deflate. I would recommend buying an electric pump that also deflates as well. Fishing can be a bit challenging at first because of the light weight which causes drift especially when fighting the fish, but after hours of practice you will learn the dynamics of the boat and it will become second nature. This boat is great for double kayaking with a friend.

I have a small car and this works perfect for when I am wanting to float about the lakes while camping. I can blow it up and I am on my way. It is very sturdy. I have purchased two boat cushions that I sit on when rowing to bring my body up, it is easier. I also bought the SKEG, this is a must, keeps you from spinning in the lake. I haven't quite figured out the sides which have indicators on them, sure I will figure out the right amount of air with use. Overall an awesome ride!

I was thinking of buying a kayak just to get out on the water, and maybe for fishing. I live in an apartment in the city, however, and have no place to keep a hardside boat unless I consider it furniture. When I read about inflatable kayaks I was interested, but skeptical. I checked around, and narrowed my choice to this Sevylor and the Sea Eagle. I went with the Sevylor at $105 plus shipping, and I'm pretty happy so far.



I went to a small (45 acre) lake to give the thing trial run. I had to hike about 1/2 mile down a trail to get to the lake. I was alone, and able to carry the deflated boat, all my fishing gear, and a few other things this distance without too much trouble. I inflated the boat in about ten minutes with a hand pump, and was on the water. I paddled the entire length of the lake, heading into a stiff wind (about 15mph) without breaking a sweat. I have the skeg, and didn't have any problems with tracking. At the far end of the lake, I used a 5 lb. anchor while fishing several small coves. It worked perfectly. I caught a couple of bass and some panfish, and found the boat to be stable in the water the entire time and surprisingly comfortable. After a couple of hours I had fished my way back to the landing, deflated and packed everything back to the car.



If you're a serious, hardcore kayaker... go buy a kayak. If you want to be able to explore a lake and go fishing on a whim for less than $200 (boat, paddle, pump, etc.)with a boat that you can fit in the trunk of a hatchback, I'd get this thing.



=====

Update: 8/7/11

=====



I have used this boat several times over the last couple of months. I can report that it is holding up well, and I'm still very happy with the purchase.



I eventually did take it out with a passenger, and found that it feels just as stable while carrying two people as it does with one.



This is a nice, convenient item for the price.



=====

Update: 8/7/11

=====

Hello, I bought this kayak on a whim. I've been in and out of hard shell kayak's all my life. But this is my very first inflatable. I bought it because I was tired of fishing from shore. It's great to start off with. We have an ozark trail electric pump, which had it inflated in about 10 minutes including the time to figure out what goes where. I'm seeing a lot of reviews mentioning a Skeg. This i feel is a must. It was windy out today, and we were twirling like a feather in the wind. Even so we were able to navigate somewhat. We used one of the oars as a rudder which seemed to give us much better forward control. My girlfriend is a bigger girl and the two of us definetley went over the weight limit, but you wouldn't know it.



Still a little scared with my hooks around it. I think I may upgrade to the Sevylor Colorado soon, only because this first inflatable was so much fun!

This kayak is a lot of fun. Wife and I take it out to Grapevine Lake, in Grapevine, Tx. It is a big lake, with lots of boats. Keep reading for details on that. We take it out to the middle of the lake and just relax there.



--Durability

Pretty sturdy, I was a bit scared the first time we took it out, but after the first time I became very comfortable with it. The lake where we go is pretty deep so I'm not concerned with branches or big rocks sticking out. As soon as we leave the shore, I'm worry free, though I bring the patch with me just in case (and my PFD). We thought about going to Trinity River in Arlington, the water there was great, but there were too many branches sticking out of the water, so I'd rather take a hard shelled kayak there. Other than that, the valves are great, excellent quality PVC.



--Heading

After reading all the reviews, we bought the directional skeg with the kayak, so I never tried it w/o the skeg. The skeg keeps you straight, but of course it is not perfect. If 2 of you are on the kayak, you will have to coordinate your paddles, and both have to try to keep it straight. Sometimes we have problems on windy days, the wind & current can make you go around in circles, but that is expected given the size of the thing. I'd say winds under 20mph should be OK for fun kayaking. If you stay close to the shore, it should help as well. And for beginner kayakers, keep the paddling smooth and uniform. Another tip for keeping it straight, but again, sometimes the wind will turn you no matter what and you'll have to correct your direction very often. Wakes created by boats and jet-skis don't seem to affect it that much (actually they make the paddling more fun).



--Size & Seating

I've heard some comments about the size and fitting 2 people. I am 5'11", the wife is 5'4". We both fit just fine. We even bought a dry bag to carry our belongings (wallet, cell phone) and we put that under the canopy in the back. One problem we had in the beginning was the front seat. The backseat almost feels like a recliner, and it's very comfortable, but the front seat kept moving a lot, since it doesn't have anything to lean on (except for the legs of the person behind you). The way we solved that was by undoing part of the string tying down the front canopy, and using that to tie the seat (there's a hole in the middle, we just tie it there). That seems to hold the seat up pretty well, doesn't slide at all, so it's more comfortable for the kayaker in front. Also, the seats can be a pain to inflate, but they don't take much air. I'm still researching a replacement seat option.



--Portability & related items

Fits in the trunk of our small sedan just fine. We bought these items as well:

Coleman 12-Volt DC QuickPump - Good pump, we're in the water in 5-10 mins.

Kwik Tek Deluxe Kayak Paddle 2 sect Alum 84" Curved Blade - 2 sections, so they fit in your trunk even if you have a small car.

Ascend(tm) Heavy-Duty Round-Bottom Dry Bags -keeps your valuables dry.

O'rageous® Men's PFD Neoprene Life Vest - fit pretty well, comfy, though I tend to unbuckle it sometimes for easier paddling. - Inflatable Kayak'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information