Friday 29 April 2011

Cloth Diapers - swim diaper, pool diaper


We have a few of these in different sizes and styles, and we also have a couple other non-disposable swim diapers. These ones are definitely better - fit is nice and snug all around, whereas the other ones don't stay snug at the waist and can slip down. Swim diapers are NOT made to hold pee, which did surprise me the first time I used one (actually the other kind we have), but I learned that is the way they are designed. So since then I just don't switch my kids into them until they're ready to get into the water. Any pee is taken care of by the chlorine in the pool; the diaper's job is to contain any poop, which would be a huge issue if allowed into the pool water. Between my 3 kids, they've pooped in them maybe 3 times (thanks to my policy of only using them when needed), but each time they performed exactly as needed and were easy to take care of - and we are not cloth-diapering people here, so these are the only non-disposable diaper products we've used. When I realized we didn't have a swim diaper in my youngest's size, I of course purchased another one of the Finis diapers. FINIS Girl's Swim Diapers (Pink Bubble, Large)

Firstly I just want to mention that my daughters swim class only allows re-useable swim diapers as they are more sanitary. Swim diapers are not meant to absorb anything just contain poo until you can get out of the pool to dispose of it properly. Urine is sterile and not harmful to other people (kind of a gross thought but true) makes me appreciate chlorine a little more.



Anyways I have tried a few re-useable swim diapers and this is my favorite one. The sizing seems to be a little on the big side based on weight so when in doubt go a size smaller. The good thing is they will grow into the next size up if you do buy the wrong size. I like these because they seem to be comfortable and if I am running late for swim class they are stylish enough to pass as cute swim bottoms. I really like the feel of the fabric. They feel more like a swimming suit than a plastic hazmat suit. This last point may not seem like a big deal but my daughter's swim class requires all kids 4 and under to wear a swim diaper regardless of potty training. So for it not to look or feel like a diaper to a potty trained kid is a big deal.



As for its contain-ability I only once had it tested and I noticed right a way and we were out of the pool as quick as we could be. So it was not much of a test.



As silly as this may sound if you think your kiddo may have pooed while in the pool make sure to lift the kid out of the water before you check their diaper for treasures regardless of whether or not you use re-useable or disposable swim diapers. This is the most common reason for actual pool contamination.

I can't believe I didn't discover these until my 2nd child was already one & a 1/2. We bought this for my daughter before we took a beach vacation - it was perfect, and we used it all week. It held in what it needed to when it was necessary. I loved it as an alternative to packing all the disposable diapers, and we will use it all summer and not buy those disposables ever again. I did buy a size up and thought that was the right call. I think this is a great alternative to those yucky other diapers.

Our community pool requires actual swim diapers for hygienic reasons. This diaper was serviceable for holding bowel movements (It is not suppose to hold urine), but it was a little snug for her 2T size (She's average 50th percentile in height & weight) & I suggest getting one size larger. I had researched many different brands and this one was recommended by a friend of mine who has 2 children and uses cloth diapers on the daily basis. The fabric does not fill up with water and weigh the children down when swimming, like the disposable swim diapers. My pediatrician also recommended against disposable swim diapers for safety reasons.

This works great. I'm glad I read that this isn't supposed to stop pee so I didn't mind it when she went and it went through the diaper. I just waited to change he into her swimsuit until we were at the pool. It was perfect!

small: 3-6 months 9-15 lbs

medium: 6-12 months 15-22 pounds

large: 12-18 months 22-28 pounds

x-large: 18-24 months 28-33 pounds

xx-large: 24-30 months 33-38 pounds

3T: 36 months 34-41 pounds

4T: 48 months 38-45 pounds



I bought the 3T on others recommendations to buy a size up. Daughter is 30 months/30 pounds and it seems a bit big (it EASILY fits over a regular diaper), at least she can grow into it!

These swim diapers are definitely worth the money. They work great, and are so much more environmentally friendly and easy on the wallet than disposables. They have paid for themselves over and over. They are very durable and cute.

Dont like it much

If you buy it, make sure you get one or two size UP then what you THINK will fit your kid.

the less expensive just plastic underwear worked better for us, which i put over regular swim diaper.



got these, put on once to see how it fit. and then never tried it again.

for me it was a waste of money - Pool Diaper - Cloth Diapers - Finis - Swim Diaper'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information