Saturday 30 April 2011

Coming-of-age - mortician, funeral


when I read a book, about embalming its very important to me that I get all the imformation about the practice, tools, and various methods of arterial injection. this book was very clear on every one of those subjects. If you are planning on going into,the mortuary field, its A great book!!!! The Principals and Practices of Embalming

This is the Textbook for the Embalmer.Every apprentice and Funeral Director needs this book,even if they are not active embalmers. Professional embalmers readily have this text available. Most have this book tabbed and referenced for use. This book should be read before entering the preparation room. This book should also should not be read by the general public and needs specialized instruction. Many Embalmers will tell you that experience is a better teacher. I disagree. Recently I went through this book. Funeral Directors should refer to this book in their written notes about problem cases. They are the Experts and should always use the professional skills outlined here. Of particular utility, for both arrangers and embalmers is the section on drugs and embalming.

This book+experience=the professional embalmer. A good rule for the general public is to ask if this book is available, to their embalmer,IF THE FAMILY MAKES THE EMBALMING CHOICE. Often neglected is the excellent, technical section on restorative art.

I used the text as a Mortuary Science Department student at Cypress College,Orange Co. It was a real "eye-opener". The book became my bible. I'm sure I'll continue to learn from it. Although it may be a little "dry", it is extremely informative and detailed. Definitely for the person who respects the deceased and their loved ones; it is important for readers to have a certain emotional maturity.

I am a PA licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer. I studied at NCACC. Most of my embalming training was through hands on experience, the rest through Xerox copies of outdated texts. Also, there was the 1st edition of this book. I only found it useful to study the history section. This new version has not improved at all. This book covers the legal requirements and BORES you to "death", but it is not very practicle for embalming techniques. The title is very misleading. The Theory & Practice Sections you can rip out of the book. I reiterate: This book is only good for the History of Embalming (& perhaps some of the federal requirements too). If you want a good embalming text, ask your local funeral director to Xerox his old embalming book for you --just make sure It's not by Mayer!

I am currently a student at the American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Services in NYC and this is the textbook we use for our classes. I find the book very easy to follow and it makes the embalming and dying process, both Antemortem and Postmortem clear. I would definately recommend this book.

Since I am not a funeral director but have been interested in the profession (I used to work with friends on the east coast), I could not put the book down because it captured and sustained my interest. As a novice reader to the mortuary profession, I could not believe how much technical information you had to know. It is almost like becoming a physician. Although the diagrams/pictures were not in color, just having them spiked and fueled my interest -- with actual embalming techniques. Finally, my favorite unit was on embalming instruments. I highly respect morticians because of the administrative, logistical, creative, and artistic so-called 'hats' they must wear in order to do a professional service!

Upon reading the standard textbook for Funeral Services in Canada I wasn't satisfied with the large volume of text involved so I turned to Mayer's Theory History and Practice. This book is an excellent resource for students and professionals in the Funeral Services field. There are alot of visual representations and I found it to be very useful in helping with the 'hands on approach' needed to help perfect the embalming process. I hope more students and professionals start using this book as a reference.This book is not for the average individual interested in gore.

This is THE standard Mortuary text book used in most American Mortuary-Funeral Sciences classrooms. NOT intended for the casual or avid book reader. THIS IS A TEXTBOOK. Materials contained therin include legal and practical applications of the Mortuary Sciences. Mark Alan Harman-Buseman (BigRRFan@aol.com) - Funerals - Mortician - Embalming - Funeral'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information