Saturday 30 April 2011

Rotary Tools - ridgid, multi tool


I'm a trim carpenter/cabinet maker by trade and purchased this tool about two months ago for simple tasks such as cutting back existing baseboard, trimming door jambs or cutting out outlet holes in plywood. Anyone who's used these type tools knows that the Fein is the MacDaddy of oscilating tools and unfortunately still commands a high price. I picked up the RIGID model for something easy and inexpensive to grab in the occasional instances where it's function outperforms the usual jig-saw or pull saw.



I've used this tool about ten-twelve times in the last two months and have purposely put it through it's paces. I never tried the two RIGID blades that came with the unit, instead I went straight for the reliable cutting capabilities of the Bosch blades. I've yet to drain a battery, even after heavy use (mind you the batteries are still new, so that's not that impressive). I recently had to cut a 22"x28" flake board shelf with oak veneer on-site, that was dado'd on all three sides into the upper section of a refrigerator cabinet. So basically I had to plunge cut and move along almost 80" of flake board continuously. I was surprised, the unit kept cutting at the same high rate of speed as when I began.



Prior to buying this tool, previous reviews about it reported the unit shutting off unexpectedly. I did experience this a few times, and it can be annoying. The unit has done this to me not while in use, but after releasing the trigger, and then when it is reengaed there will be nothing. I don't believe it's a battery issue, I believe it's a contact issue, possibly dust getting in somewhere that interupts the connection. I'd also be skeptical to say the shutting off issue is relevant to overheating, as mentioned I have on numerous times probably ran the unit beyond it's intended purpose and experienced no issues, yet I have pulled it out a few simple cuts, and have had the unit shut off. I also purchased the extra battery and have switched them out during one of the tools little tantrums, no difference.



If this type tool was something I had to use everyday I would undoubtedly drop the $300 for the Fein, but since I don't, I can deal with the RIGID's little ticks, but I shouldn't have to. I'm still on the fence about returning it. If it wasn't for the shutting off issue, this tool for it's price would probably be superior in the cordless class. Factory-Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR82235 12V Cordless JobMax Oscillating Multi-Tool Starter Kit

New, just unpacked it. Battery is fully charged. It won't stay on. If you hold it perfectly still, it works, but if you move or touch something it quits. I've tried the head in different positions, reinserting the battery, holding it different ways, etc. There doesn't seem to be any kind of safety switch and there is nothing in the directions.



It looks like it's very cheaply made.



The nice agent at Rigid (phone number in instruction booklet) said they had never heard of these and asked if I was I sure I had the right mfg.

I picked up a new unit from HD for $99. I have used it a number of times and had NO mechanical, alignment, overheating or electrical issues. It has a very solid well built feel. I also picked up a number of other Bosch blades. The unit comes with an attachment that allows you to use Rigid, Bosch or dremmel's blades. I like the Bosch blades the best but the others do work. I have not pushed the tool to its extreme limits but for occasional use this tool more than exceeds my needs and does a great job. It has plenty of power and the battery is more than adequate. Moreover, if you need or want to, you can configure the tool for other tasks. I always wanted the Fien unit but could not justify the price for how often I needed it. I think if I used it everyday that would be the tool to get but for the occasional user (and for the money) this thing is great.



I think the "package" they put together is not as complete as I would like but again it is basic. There is no question that this was assembled to meet a price point and not a construction crews needs. However what they have will do very basic projects and if you get a just few more accessories (rec Bosch) it will be a lot more useful too.

Just picked up two multi tools. The Jobmax by Ridgid and the Milwaukee 12v model. Both are cordless, come with a cloth case, universal accessory adapter, are relatively light and balanced. On the plus side the rigid has a light that can be really helpful in certain situations, versatility in the form of multiple tool attachments, is relatively quite, and inexpensive at $99. Against it is the trigger (which is great as long as you only need to hold the saw in a few positions), comes with only one battery, not enough sand paper or blades, and has a issue with the alignment between the motor body and the oscillating head. The blades and sand paper issue is just part of buying a multi tool. While the Jobmax seems like a good deal if you consider that you only get one battery and that the blades that came with it are crap, then you see how they hit their price point. I consider the rest of the problems specific to this tool.



Like I said before if you hold the Job max in only one way then the trigger is actually great. Many multi tools seemed to inherit the on/off switch and layout of angle grinders, ( I believe these are direct decedents, as fein's was the first and looks to be built from their grinders, another tool they are known for). The Jobmax uses a trigger like a drill and is proof yet again that Ridgid for better or worse likes to think outside the box. The best thing about the trigger is that you can use it to control the speed of the tool. The worst thing about the trigger is that it is the only way to control the speed of the tool. Unlike a variable speed drill controlled only by a trigger, the Jobmax is not made to be held still while in use. If you want a slow speed and are moving the tool around it can be easy to accidentally give the tool a little to much juice, if you or the tool are bumped. Controlling the tool at certain cut angle is seriously compromised by the trigger configuration, and I think that this is likely the reason that every other manufacturer of such tools sticks with a switch. Yes I realize the tool head can be mounted at different angles but this is a hassle and only alleviates part of the problem



The deal breaker for me is the alignment between the motor body and the tool head. My unit allows quit a bit of play. Not only does this make using the tool for accurate work a bit more difficult it does little to reassure me of the build quality. The tool head side of the socket is made of cast aluminum and the motor body side made of plastic. I worry about how that plastic is going to wear after being slammed with each change in cut speed or every new application of the tool. I also worry that the 20,000+ vibrations of the tool will slowly wear away at that plastic. So I suspect the fit will get more sloppy fairly quickly.



So this ends up being another tool that tries to do to much by sacrificing doing one thing really well. If it wasn't also a drill and a hammer etc, it would not need the trigger, or the detachable tool head. I like the idea of this tool. However it works better as an idea then a tool for now. Maybe next go around Ridgid will do better. For now I will take back the Ridgid and get another Milwaukee. - Ridgid - Multi-tool - Oscillating - Multi Tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information