Friday 30 September 2011

Healthy Eating - health, olive oil


This new cookbook featuring Olive Oil Dessert recipes has opened up our eyes to making desserts more healthful and they taste great too. We've tried several of the recipes and have found them to be delicious, user friendly and have become new family favorites.



I have tried several of these recipes and they are very good and easy to make. The comfort cake is to die for and I don't make chocolate cake any other way now! Also, a favorite is the blueberry muffin recipe with the crumble topping. My family loves them.

I am an avid baker who was searching for healthier alternatives to butter. I tried different types of "heart-healthy" margarine but the taste and texture was always way off. Luckily, I received this cookbook for Christmas and am very happy with the results. I never before tried using olive oil for baking desserts but am very pleased with both the taste and texture. Also, the butter flavored extract is a clever trick for those treats and cookies that usually have a familiar buttery taste. My favorite recipe so far is the Blueberry Streusel, especially served a bit warm with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt or low-fat ice cream. It was very moist and delicious. I also appreciate finally having a recipe for a butter-free graham cracker piecrust as well as a regular flaky piecrust that doesn't use 'trans-fat laden' shortening. This book will get alot of use in my kitchen. Highly reccommended.

If you want to lower your cholesterol but not give up sweets, this book is for you. It's not just sweets, but breads, scones, muffins, pie dough, etc..But beyond that, if you have food allergies or cook for someone who does, this serves double duty. The substitution charts in back allow you to swap out eggs (sev'l choices for sweet or savory substitutions) and dairy (even buttermilk) easily. You also have a conversion chart to use w/your previous recipes by swapping out high-cholesterol butter or margarine with olive oil, thereby making the desserts healthier and even lighter b/c the olive oil to butter ratio is less. I made Lemon Sugar Cookies and swapped out the one egg (b/c my toddler granddaughter is allergic) with 1/4 cup of applesauce. They were cookies we ALL could eat, they looked exactly like the picture, were delish, and received raves...better than a bakery. The olive oil pie crust is great, don't even need to mix it in the food processor, a simple wooden spoon brings this one together, easy as pie (no pun intended) to roll out too! The book is esthetically beautiful to look at, makes a good gift or coffee table book; but this one will most likely take up permanent residence in my kitchen!

I've only made the "ginger roos" and they were very good! The rest of the desserts look like they will be great too, I can't wait to try them! The only drawback is there is no nutritional information with the desserts. This would have been a bonus for calorie counters.

If you love desserts, this is the cookbook for you! I like to look at dessert cookbooks just to salivate over the pictures. I've tried several of these delicious recipes and have absolutely loved them! Plus its nice to know that there is heart healthy olive oil in them. I've always been big on butter, so I wasn't sure desserts with olive oil would taste good. But trust me, they are delicious! One of my favorites is the Cinnamon Twisties. They are so light and tasty. I only meant to eat a couple, but ended up eating a whole plate full....Easy to do when you're pregnant. This yummy dessert is one of my latest pregnancy cravings...I just can't get enough of them!

I love desserts and these recipes allow me to indulge without eater's remorse. They are delicious and I actually like them better than similiar recipes that call for butter, vegetable oil or shortening. My husband and kids love them too and no dessert from this book has lasted in my house for more than 5 minutes. I haven't tried one of Micki's dessert that I haven't absolutely loved. I am buying this book for my mom for Mother's Day. It's been a long time since I have felt passionate about a cook book. 5 stars!!!

We have big-time sweet teeth at our house, but also bad genes for cholesterol. I liked this recipe book so much I bought one for all my siblings. My family especially likes the Simple Brownies and Cinnamon Twisties. The recipes are laid out well and easy to follow, and it's great knowing the desserts I make aren't as bad as what I used to make.

I got this cook book about 6 months ago and it is the most used cook book in my house. My husband has high cholesterol and loves to eat too many cookies. There are very few lower fat cookies to be found in a grocery store or bakery. The recipes in this book use healthy olive oil and are easy to make, and also very yummy! Our favorites are the chocolate chip, oatmeal, and peanut butter cookies. The book also contains cakes, muffins, bars.... I have just recently tried using the author's conversion method to substitue butter for olive oil in a root beer cookie recipe I found on the internet. It turned out great! - Good Fats - Health - Olive Oil - Baking - Cookbook - Cookies'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information