Friday 30 September 2011

Great Deal - am3, phenom


Paired this CPU with Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H. Was able to unlock all four cores to make it a Phenom II X4. OCed from stock 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz, rock solid. Didn't try to go any further but I know it has much more potentials. AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2 GHz 2x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Retail HDZ555WFGMBOX

This was a great purchase seeing how much you get from it. First of all, it's blazing fast at stock speeds. AND coming from my athlon II x2 240, it was a big improvement. Paired with my MSI 760g-e51 mobo, it let me unlock the two locked cores thus making it a phenom II x4. This is a great buy if your able to unlock the cores. THANKS AMD FOR MAKING A PROCESSOR WITH 2 UNLOCKED CORES!!!

Best in my opinion.



Didn't unlock cores, don't care to, works very fast. Most apps and games are single threaded so dual core is best real world usage. Benchmarks BAH!



Runs so efficient that I didn't need the fan on my Coolermaster Hyper 212 rifle cooler, and it gets as hot as 32 degrees. Keep in mind that is in a case with 120mm back and 140mm top, so good air flow.



I love EFFICIENT!

The AMD Phenom II X2 Socket AM3 is a rock-solid processor, even without unlocking the extra cores. If you manage to unlock the extra cores, you will have a processor that runs faster than stock Phenom II X4 processors. To be exact, this processor, running with all 4 cores, runs at 3.68GHz, without any overclocking. Nice!



Unlocking the cores, I've read, is somewhat of a hit and miss deal. First, you might need to upgrade your motherboard, or use someone else's that has core unlocking capabilities to unlock them. Second, the locked cores are NOT tested by AMD, so don't be too surprised if you find yourself unable to unlock one or both extra cores.



If you don't like to take chances, or if the processor you have now is better than this one with 2 cores, this is not the processor for you. If you have an old (3+ years old is practically prehistoric in the world of tech), slow, single or dual core processor, this one will knock it's socks off even with only 2 cores. I upgraded from an Athlon II X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Dual Core, and the difference was noticable the first time I powered up my machine again. Of course, I upgraded my Motherboard and RAM at the same time, so that made a difference as well, I'm sure.



As for the temperatures of this Processor, I can not say, as none of my utility programs can detect the temp. of this processor, for whatever reason.



If you don't know what Socket AM3 means, it's basically the pin configuration of the processor. They change it up, so you cannot insert a processor into incompatible motherboards. AM3 is very similar to Socket AM2, and AM3 CPUs can run on a motherboard listed for AM2 & AM2+ (but not the other way around). I do not know if using AM3 on an AM2 Motherboard reduces performance, but I have not read anything to suggest it.



WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX:

7.4/7.9 with all 4 cores in use.



The following is technical data as seen from the AMD Overdrive utility.



NAME: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor

INSTRUCTIONS: MMX(+), 3DNow!(tm)(+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64

FAMILY: 10 | MODEL: 04 | Stepping: 3

PACKAGE: Socket AM3 | Revision RB-C3

HT Ref Clock: 230MHz | Voltage: 1.43V

Core Speed: 3680MHz | Core Multiplier 16X

NB Speed: 2301 MHz | NB Multiplier: 10X



L1 Code Cache: 64 KB X 4

L2 Data Cache: 64 KB X 4

Level 2 Cache: 512 KB X 4

Level 3 Cache: 6144 KB



Not much else I can think of to say, so I'll sum it up:



Consider this CPU if you need an upgrade AND this cpu, out of the box, is better than your current one.

The 2 hidden cores may be about 60/40 as to whether you'll unlock them, in favor of success, but I could be wrong about this.

The price, for what you get, is fair. The price, for what you'll PROBABLY get, is AWESOME!



AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.7GHz FTW.

This is an amazing quad-core processor for an amazing price. Yes, quad-core. There are actually two cores turned off on this cpu. Although it's not guaranteed to work many motherboards have a quick setting to allow you to unlock the hidden cores. I was lucky enough to get a perfectly functional second set that passed stress testing flawlessly. Not bad for half the price they're asking for the advertised quad-core. My motherboard was a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 and it was a one click bios setting, though there are plenty other boards that allow it. Search online for "unlock phenom x2" and do a little research. Good luck.

I've had this processor since March of this year and i have to say that this chip is awesome. Bought this with the intention to overclock but the stock speed is more than enough at the moment. Runs all my applications very smoothly as well as my games (most games are optimized for dual core CPU's so most people don't need a quad core yet). If you are purchasing to try and unlock the extra cores please understand that AMD does not guaranty that you will succeed (to the one star temper tantrum below). This is an amazing processor for someone on a budget, hope this review helps!



-Update-

Finally gave overclocking a shot and got it to 3.675 without touching the voltage! temps are at 34-38 (idle-load) on air cooling. haven't tried going further but I'm sure I can get it to 3.8 (judging by the temperatures). BUY IT!!

what can you say, low price, dual core goodness. I tried the core unlocker but got no love, however, the chip has performed well and I would recommend this for an upgrade from an Athlon or a single core system. Obviously, it's not the fastest chip on the block, but is great for the sub-$100 price tag!

After reading the reviews on this item here in the great Amazon, I bought the item. I've always wanted a Black Edition processor but was not willing to pay a high price. This item is posted as a two core processor and with the right motherboard and luck, one can unlock the extra two cores making it a four core. I'm using this processor with the Gigabyte ma785gm-us2h motherboard and an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 cpu cooler. After messing around with the BIOS I'm running at 3.9 GHz without any problems. It was no real problem opening the extra two cores with the motherboard I am using. All cores appear to be working good. - Am3 - Great Deal - Phenom - Overclock'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information