Thursday 29 September 2011

Impact Driver Accessories - makita, drill bits


After about a month of ownership and use with my Makita BTD141Z Impact Driver, this product gets a mixed review.



High Points:



1. As others have mentioned, the variety of bits provided is relatively complete. Multiple lengths of the main driver sizes are appreciated.



2. The case provided is compact, which is appreciated by anyone having to carry tools onto a job site or find room in a toolbox.



3. The case's exterior locking mechanism is secure. I've never had mine open unexpectedly.



Low Points:



1. When using the black bit extension with the small 1" bits, my bits release from the extension rather than the fastener head after I drive a screw. This slows jobs dramatically, especially when the bit drops from the fastener and lands in grass. Further, the extension is impossible to quickly remove and replace within the case.



2. I have had many issues with bits breaking. My 2" #2 Phillips bit broke on it's first screw, and the head on a Robertson twisted off quickly, as well. I accept that bits wear out and need to be replaced, but these bits have worn much faster than my old Dewalt set, which wasn't even "impact rated".



3. After a few uses the tabs within the case that are meant to hold the bits flat (so they don't fall out) have begun to wear out. The spade bits now swing out and release when I open the case if I'm not very deliberate.



Overall I believe this kit has potential for a homeowner using a regular (non-impact) drill/driver, but would not recommend it to a frequent user or the owner of an impact driver. Makita T-01389 62-Piece Impact Drill-Driver Bit Set

I have a Dewalt bit set that I've broken enough bits with, or lost that a replacement was due. When i saw this set show up on Amazon, I immediately put it on my wish list. This fills a perfect need for the Impact Driver and Drill set I already own from Makita. I do lots of small and medium home projects, and this has most of the bits you will need. If they added a a few hole saw bits, it would have everything, but otherwise complete. The bits are sharp and true unlike some cheaper sets which have a noticeable wobble in the smaller diameter pilot bits.



Update: 4 months after "weekend warrior" projects, I have yet to experience any of the issues listed by other users. However, as I am not driving through hardwoods as an every day carpenter or doing exterior pressure treated woods, this may be the reason why. Also, Impact driving (when you should be using the drill) a small a 3/32 bit is going to break the piece no matter who makes it. Ive broke many small good and bad bits by just twisting the drill off plane a few degrees. The metal heats up, bends, then snaps in short order. Its why groups like Kreg is in business with their pocket joinery jigs. To keep delicate bits running true and remove much of the user error. Metal does break from fatigue.



The high points remain. Quickly switch from drilling small pilot holes to driving screws for common household needs. Hang drapery rods or blinds, remove and replace light switches and cover plates, install new hardware pulls and knobs on kitchen or bathroom cabinetry. I've also used it to drive sheet metal screws and other self tapping metal screws of all sizes you might find in the home. I had to replace some sheet metal elbows to fix some rattling and poor airflow related to use of my vent fan in the kitchen over the cook top.



Perhaps the expectations I have were always intended for home related jobs. Swinging an 18volt+ cordless with expensive Carbide bits and carbon steel is just over kill for a non trades person. I'm not doing basement and bathroom remodels with these bits. If you need those bits, they typically cost you a couple bucks per bit, and last a very long time with proper use. Heck, I have a hand-me-down Milwaukee 1/2 drill with some old (20 year+) 1/2 shank carbon steel bits. I only use that on rare occasion when I have to run Romex through ceiling joists for something like a new ceiling fan.



The point is. Small jobs with lots of odd size screws, or softer materials, this works perfect. For some of the harder jobs, tougher materials, with lots of repetition, just test it and take your time. If they don't work, get the right tool for the right job... and don't forget as the user, do it The RIGHT way.

I bought 2 of these sets one for home/personal use and one for work use.

I am a big believer in Makita - power tools and own many to this day- this was the first bit accessory kit I have ever purchased with the Makita name on it and sadly enough I must say I am very disappointed with it already.



I have been using this kit at work for about 2 weeks now with my 18v cordless drill/driver and 18v cordless impact/driver.

I would not recommend using these bits with the impact driver. I completely shattered my bit extension today at work while using it in the 18v impact driver with the 5/16 hex bit.



Another issue I have had with the kit already is the inside of the case. The little plastic hinges that hold the bit holders secure in place so things don't move around have already broke and my bits are all over the place every time I open it.



The only Pro I can list at this time for this kit is it does have a nice assortment of bits, other than that I would not suggest anyone waste the $27 on it. Buy the Dewalt kits, they have proven to be much better than this one.



***Update*** Another 2 weeks of use - I have found that all of the bits are made out of a very inferior metals. I have snapped many of them now including tips breaking off the screw driver bits like nothing I have ever seen! If I could give this item 0 stars I surely would at this point!! Garbage! Do not waste your money on it. Worst purchase I have ever made in the tool department! - Drill Bits - Impact Driver Accessories - Impact Driver - Makita'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information