Friday 30 September 2011

Keyless Deadbolt


I recently bought one of these for our home after we moved in. Now I don't need to fumble with keys every time I need to ket in the house, and I don't have to worry about kids losing or forgetting keys.



Like other schlage locks I have owned, this unit seems to be very well made, sturdy, and easy to install. The programming of codes is simple, and codes can be added or deleted just by using the keypad. Keypad use as far as entering codes or even updating codes is straighforward. The fact that a simple button push "lights up" the buttons at night is also cool.



The buttons are also epoxy-coated, so the numbers won't "wear off" thus revealing the codes used. I have a separate code for each family member, and can easily add codes if I have a contractor stopping by.



A key can be used to open the lock if for some reason the electronic part stops functioning (too cold from sub-sero weather, perhaps?). Since this is a Schlage lock, it can even be re-keyed so that the key you have matches the other Schlage locks your house may have. Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot Keypad Accent Lever Door Lock, Satin Nickel

The other reviews have covered the product very well, so I am just commenting on the battery life. My 9 volt battery that came with the lock lasted 1 month. I just assumed it had been sitting in the package and was near it's exp. date. The 2nd battery I installed was a fresh Everyready Alkaline 9 volt. It lasted a total of 4 months. There are only 3 family members in my house, so I don't think it is a matter of heavy use.

My point is that 4 months is a long way from the 3 years advertised so consider this when you are thinking of getting this lock.



4/5/09 Another update...3rd battery lasted less than 1 week and when it failed the door sat unlocked all day, not good. Will contact Schlage for replacement, but do not like to have to return things and pay shipping

I timed my installation of this at a surprizing 15 minutes, including removing the old doorknobs and reversing the handles on the keyless entry. Usually everything takes twice as long with me! The only hard part was deciding which door to put it on- the main house entry or an outbuilding I use a lot.



An earlier review stated that the lock shuts down for 5 minutes after four consecutive missed entries of combinations. I timed mine at 30 seconds shutdown, confirmed in the owner's manual.

The thing is made well, heavy duty even. Easy to program and delete combinations. I was hoping to gain entry a tad quicker by "swiping" a finger across four digits in a row, but this won't allow that; it wants a discret push of a number on the keypad with a very short time between entries. So it takes 3-4 seconds to open the door.

No complaints, but I await the day the 9V battery gives out and I have to remove the inside portion of this lock to replace it. Then I may have my first gripe!

P.S. - I paid $118 (on sale) for mine in bright brass at Lowe's, Jan.'09.

Having just purchased a new home and in need of replacing the locks, we did a great deal of research on the various companies before settling on Schlage. Of course, they are a decent mid-level quality lock and there are much more secure, and much less secure lock ratings than found within this line (i.e., commercial, etc). We selected this keyless lock to use on an outdoor utility/laundry shed with the intention of being able to access laundry the laundry room easily without the need for keys. It has been wonderful, and we enjoy the bronze colored finish a great deal. I have heard that it can peel and crack, so be sure to keep your receipts in a safe place, or your original packaging, should you need to send it back to Schlage for warranty work (there is a lifetime warranty, as far as I am aware).



The lock is easy to program and uses a 6 digit master code for this purpose. You can store 2 four digit entry codes in the lock at at time, and they can be changed using the 6 digit code. As others have mentioned, this is useful when contractors need access to the home. For example, we were able to have the sprinkler system repair guy do some work on the house because of this.



As for the battery life, I can't comment much on it, except to say that we are still on the battery that came with the unit and it has been about 2 months. I would note, however, that we do not use this system on an entry door to the main house. Rather, it is in a location where it is not used every day. Nevertheless, we live in a very hot climate, which usually kills batteries at a faster rate, and have not encountered a problem with the lock as of yet.



Thus far, we have been very pleased. If I encounter any problems, I will be sure to update the review, but at present, I am very satisfied. A note of caution - be sure to retain the instructions included with the lock, as they contain the 6 digit code necessary to change the entry codes. If you happen to misplace this, you will need to take the lock apart to get the code, as it is inside of the lock.

I had all the same positive reactions listed by others when I installed this. After I had been using it about six months, the 1-4 digits stopped working - when I pressed them nothing at all happened, though all the other buttons worked. This was intermittent for a while and then they quit altogether, taking me back to using a key. I called Schlage and was told that they recommend replacing the batteries every three months. Wonderful! Anyhow, I replaced the battery and guess what?! Now none of the buttons work at all! I have messed with the connections and all, but have been unable to revive it. So how do you send a lock in for repair? Just leave your door unprotected when you send it in? Anyhow, I misplaced my receipt, so I'm totally out of luck. I guess I'm just back to living with fishing out my key every time I need to get in.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information