Friday 30 September 2011

Pictures - adhesives, pictures


If you can read and follow directions, these strips are great. You have to clean the wall first to make sure there's no oils or dirt. You have to press firmly for several seconds and then remove the item to let the adhesive set for an hour or so. It's not that hard, folks.



I use these all the time, at work and at home. The only times I've had one fail was when I tried to hang something on a painted brick wall and on an uninsulated glass window. The surface you use has to be clean and stable (the paint hadn't adhered well to the brick) and a place that won't get very cold (the window froze).



There are hook products that use these strips too. I have one up that holds my coat at work - not a light jacket, either, but a plus-size ankle-length duster. It has been up for two years and has never failed to work.



The only reason I give them 4 stars is because of the price. All of the Command Strip products cost about twice what they should, considering they aren't reusable. Here is a tip that might save you a little - after you remove these, save the velcro part. You can buy slightly less expensive replacement strips and attach them to the velcro. Command 17204 Medium Picture-Hanging Strips, 6-Sets

I love these, they really work. I was skeptical at first, but had no choice but to try them as I was destroying my plaster walls trying to hang pictures. They really are easy to use, really do hold the picture and you really can reposition the picture w/in the first few minutes after hanging it w/o peeling the paint off the wall. Everything is as advertised. You also really can remove the picture days/weeks/months later - it's like velcro where 1/2 the velcro will stay on your wall and 1/2 on your picture so you can replace the photo or whatever you need to do and re-hang it. I know they come in small, medium and large, but I just use the medium for everything.

**** Update1: I have had pictures fall off the wall after a month or 2, but I still use these because it's better than putting a hole in your wall. In my case I would just have blank walls because it's impossible to get a nail into them. Also, I used these to mount some small decorative pieces (e.g. a butterfly, a small mirror) that have a hook for my 3 year old daughter to hang her stuff up and she tends to pull them off the wall, but it's OK because the velcro just separates and I can just mount it again really easily - no spare parts necessary. So I would say they are kid-proof, too, versus using nails - as long as the object itself is kidproof.

**** Update2: I took a real leap of faith and used these to secure a shelf over my son's door. I used 2 strips just to be safe and it's a really small decorative shelf with just his baby shoes on it. Hasn't come down yet! But the same 8 x 10 frame that came down the first time has come down again - there is a stand on the back of the frame that keeps it from lying flat and adhering to the wall on all sides.

I've been using these for years and I've never had one fail. The largest thing I've hung is 16" by 20" and it is still solidly attached 6 months later. A 10" by 24" is still hanging and it's been a year and a half.



My entire interior of the house is painted in Behr paint, so Behr IS compatible with these picture hanging strips.



I always use four pairs of strips per picture, or more. Two is not enough except for very small pictures because the picture can wiggle down if it's bumped and the velcro will not hold to the other piece of velcro.



I have also used these at my office, on painted cement walls. The pictures have held on for over a year there, too.



You need to actually use the right size for your item - if it's a large item then use the large strips, and use four of them.



I'm very happy with them because I have been able to remove and rearrange pictures easily and without leaving any wall damage.

I put up several of these in the kid's bedroom -- only to have a picture fall off of the wall while the kids were sleeping! Apparently, these don't do well with certain types of paint (behr being one of them). Dark colored walls don't hold well. Paint that is extra durable? Forget about using these! Thankfully the 3M company is very helpful when I called to complain, but I do think there should be more information on the packaging about which walls will be good and not good with these particular hanging strips.

I use these a lot and I really like them. I've used them to hang pictures, small mirrors, tiny knick-knack shelves and whatever else I want to stick to my walls. I have plaster walls and I'd rather not use nails or screws. I've even used them on the bottom of objects to keep my cats from knocking stuff off of shelves. I've used them for temporary decoration during the holidays as well. If you want to economize and you plan it right, you can take down a picture and put up a temporary decoration on the same wall strip.



A real advantage is that they're easy to reposition to straighten the item, and then it never becomes uneven again.



I'm very impressed by the entire line of Command products, but these are my favorites! I wish they came in a jumbo sized package though - it seems like I'm always buying them.

I used four sets to hang an IKEA thing (wooden framed blackboard with key hooks, stands out 2" from the wall, weighs about 10lb) about a month ago, and it's still holding strong. I do wish I'd read the reviews first so I would have been a little more cautious, but so far it's held perfectly even with me hanging stuff on it and sliding the blackboard back and forth.



I wonder if the problems people are having stem from paint/surface issues or if it's to do with the humidity, temperature, or atmospheric conditions of their locale? I'm in Dallas, TX, my apartment is painted with a probably higher-middle end quality paint, and my heavy item is hung on an interior wall. The mini-hooks I hung on the out-facing wall are holding up Christmas lights, but they're doing fine as well. I did not clean the wall in any of these instances because I had no alcohol and also because I am lazy.



Hope this is helpful to someone, at least. - 3m - Pictures - Hangers - Adhesives'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information