Thursday 29 September 2011

Waterproof Camera Case - waterproof case, photography


What a wonderful alternative to taking underwater pictures. No need to spend a couple hundred dollars on a underwater housing case or a few hundred for an camera specifically made for underwater. Also don't settle the the cheap one time use under water cameras. These cases allow you to take beautiful clear pictures using your own digital camera. I needed a waterproof case for my Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Blue) and since I already owned a Dicapac for a another brand of camera I knew there would be no other choice for me than the DicaPac brand. This is a terrific way to protect your camera from water, sand and even snow. The optical lens sometimes interfere with the camera's zooms lens, just make sure to hold the lens from the camera's view. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Check out the photos I attached to the product page so you can see yourself how clear and beautiful the pictures turned out.



Here is something I found that was helpful since the description does not list the camera's that are compatible:



DicaPac WP410 Case will fit the following brands:



Canon Powershot:

SD10/20/30/40/100/110/200/300/400/430/450/600/630/750/700IS/790IS/800IS/870IS/1000/1100/S200/230/300/400



Sony Cybershot DSC:

S40/500/600/650/700/750/780/W30/35/40/50/55/70/80/90/150/170/200/300



Kodak EasyShare:

C533/643/653/743/763/LS743

M753/763/853/873/883/893IS/1033



I have listed only a few of the camera brands this is compatible with. If you want to see if your camera is compatible, visit the company's website which I found very helpful. Amazon's price can not be beat. DicaPac WP410 160x105mm Small Zoom Alfa Waterproof Digital Camera Case with Optical Lens (Clear)

I recently purchased this product for use in Hawaii and it worked as expected. I used it with an Olympus FE170. Like another reviewed said, be sure you seal the ziplock part completely. Then just roll up and seal the bag and you're all set. I was able to take some pretty nice underwater pictures while snorkeling, as well as out of the water while kayaking.



I only have one very small complaint. The neck strap is fine out of the water, but once you're in the water, it doesn't provide much security. I basically had to hold the camera at all times in one hand and navigate with the other, which is pretty easy with fins on, but it wasn't ideal. I'd prefer a more secure wrist strap.



And one tip, if you come out of the water to take a picture back on the boat or beach, be sure you dab any water off of the lens. I came back with a few pictures that had big water droplets distorting the images, and when the camera is in the bag and the sun is shining you really can't see the LCD screen on the camera.



So to sum up, I highly recommend this product. Just plan ahead. Once we were in Hawaii we didn't see anything like this at any camera stores. All they had were the $100 + hard cases that only fit certain models.

I recently received the two DiCaPac WP410's I ordered and, after checking one out, was pleasantly surprised that I didn't waste my money. According to the instructions I tested the "waterproof" claim and found it to be as they claim, provided the ziplock type of seal on the opening is closed properly. I made the mistake of assuming I had closed the opening where the camera is inserted until I double checked it just before placing it underwater in my kitchen sink. For testing purposes I had placed a small toy inside the pack since it was more expendable than my camera. After being underwater about 8" for around 5 minutes I removed the pack, shook off any small amount of water and while holding the opening at a lower angle I removed the toy as dry as when I placed it in there. Following the beta test the camera was next and had the same dry results. The only thing different this time was that I was able to take pictures of the wall of my stainless steel sink and my face from underwater. While the plastic is a bit thick and can be a slight problem turning any buttons to activate a particular function, pushing buttons is not a problem and you can always activate the camera in the mode you want ahead of time. There is a glass lens that covers the opening where the camera lens protrudes and I was happy it wasn't made out of a cheap plastic prone to scratches. I would suggest using fully charged or new batteries in your camera so you don't have to worry about changing them right away. Other than that I would give this a big thumbs up and can't wait for next summer at the beach (I wouldn't leave this in direct sun since this would no doubt create a greenhouse effect and overheat your camera). In the meantime I'll settle for using it to protect my camera from the rain and the high humidity of an indoor pool.

Used it over the summer and fall while hiking in wet situations and boating (it got dropped in the water) and it did fine for that- clunky to use but the lens was very clear- Snorkling this winter was another thing- while it maybe rated for 16feet ,that does not take into account the pressures created by strong currents and waves I ran into and a small amount of seawater got forced into the case through the screw on lens killing off the display on my Canon SD1100-which will actually still take shots- I just cant select any functions. Pennywise Pound Foolish - Waterproof Case - Underwater - Photography - Dicapac'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information