Friday 30 September 2011

Training Equipment - lap counter, lap count


I've used two other lap counter/timers and the SportCount Chrono 100 is my favorite.



Using a lap counter I am able to forget about how much I've done and just swim. Those sessions when I swim a bit, then check the count and find that I've gone two or three times longer than I thought are a thrill allowed by these devices.



Others have criticized the push button -- that it doesn't always register -- but compared to a different ring-type device I used I find it very good. I can definitely feel the click of the button beneath the flexible plastic cover. Overall, I've had far fewer missed laps with this counter than the other type.



The ring-style counter prohibits the use of swim gloves. I haven't tried using hand paddles, although it might be possible to easil increment the ring counter while wearing them.



I have also used a wrist-watch type counter. Incrementing it requires two hands, definitely a disruption of my turning style.



My only complaint about the SportCount functionality is the lack of a pause function. In the pool three times a week I swim a mile to a mile and a half, with a few rests along the way. Since I can't pause the counter, I have to let it record a "lap" while I rest. Consequently, the total and average summaries are innaccurate. But then, I enter all my splits into a spreadsheet anyway, so I just eliminate the rest laps to get my real data.



With regard to reliability, the SportCount falls in the middle of the spectrum for the devices I've used. My old Speedo ring counter (no longer available as far as I can tell) lasted for several years, but I wasn't swimming as much then. The SportCount seems to be good for less than a year before the batteries run down. The wrist style counter from Zoggs has been a nightmare -- the first two were defective. After a recall and replacement months later I got a working one, but its LCD is starting to fade after only a month. So underwater electronic devices are problematic from the start.



The bottom line: If you're a serious swimmer, in training, or like me just a data geek who wants to see incremental improvement for encouragement, a lap counter is a must. And the SportCount is the best-of-breed from among those I've tried. SportCount Chrono 100

I've been using it for 3 weeks or so. Like the concept: fits easily on index finger with adjustable strap, one click to start timing, two to pause, hold down for a couple of seconds to go into review mode; counts laps, records lap times and cumulative time, fastest lap, slowest lap, average lap time. I find that I have to be very deliberate about clicking the button, because if I don't do it right, the unit doesn't register the click. It's not hard to figure out the mistake(s) when I review the results later, because the bad clicks will have resulted in double the usual lap time for those laps. Convenient for swimming or running laps on a track. Apparently you can't turn it off; it switches itself off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

I purchased this product along with [[Asin: B002S0OBVE H2O Audio Interval 3G Waterproof Headphone System for iPod shuffle 3rd Gen]] and they've made my laps just fly by. I used to get distracted and miss/add laps but now I just pop on a good playlist or podcast and just click away care-free. You'd be surprised how quickly your form improves when you're not swimming to the mantra of "14, 14, 14, 14, 15, 15, 15, 15". I'm swimming further and stronger and enjoying it a whole lot more.

I have used the previous version of SportsCount Chrono 100 (the yellow one with two buttons) and liked it. I was a little dubious about the one button approach, but I love it. The one button approach is actually very intuitive and easy to remember. I wear it on my middle finger on the inside of my palm and it is very easy to click the button with my thumb when I turn. I haven't missed a click yet. And best of all, the battery is replaceable (unlike the previous version)!

Update: July 30, 2010: I bought the Chrono 100 lap counter almost two years ago and use it every single time I swim. If you are like me, it's easy to lose track of how many laps you swam. The Chrono let's me know exactly how many laps. At first I was turned off a little bit by the thickness of the counter, after all it is basically the thickness of your typical digital watch. But I'm completely used to it and find it to be a much better option than anything else I've seen other swimmers use. It's better than a wrist watch because you don't need two hands to use it. I wear the counter on my forefinger and just click the button with my thumb. The button is easy to push as you swim and it has always registers the lap and split time each time I pressed the button. A couple of times I may forget to push the button after completing a lab but the Chrono registers both lap number and split time so you can quickly see when you've forgotten to press (ie one lap at 1:50 instead of two at 55 seconds). Also nice that you can review total laps, total time, average lap time, fastest and slowest splits, and each individual lap time. All in all a great tool that helps me keep track of laps, and helps me to keep track of progress.

I wear this like a little watch on my index finger. One button does it all. If you are like me it will take a bit of use to remember how to navigate through all the reports and get started for the next workout. After that is easy.



I use it for all my swimming workouts. Numbers are easy for this, um, older person to read. I have been using it four times a week for about six months, it had been flawless. The waterproofing is clearly solid.



And the price is so much better than other timers I have tried.

I received this a couple days ago and was very excited to get a good swim in while using this to track my swim. I used it for the first time this morning in a pool for laps. It worked great for the first 5 laps. The button responded perfectly when I hit it once for a lap and twice to pause. Then the screen went blank... Water got into the device.



I have sent a request to exchange the drowned one for a new one... I will provide an update when I hear back from the company.



Edit:



I called the company and they quickly sent me a replacement. It survived its first training session use - 1300 yards. It is easy to use and provides reports when done, as expected. This is definitely a tool that has made tracking my training much easier! Hopefully this replacement lasts at least a few more months!



Also, the battery does look like it can be easily replaced. - Lap Counter - Training Aids - Timer - Lap Count'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information