Friday 30 September 2011

Optical Mice - optical mouse, mouse


This Kensington "Mouse-in-a-Box" is a very basic, but perfectly functional optical mouse that also happens to be a great value. We needed a "no frills" mouse for my mother to use and this fit the bill perfectly. Here are my observations:



Pros -

+ Comfortable; this is a full sized mouse that feels "right" in the hand

+ Plug-and-Play; no software needed or supplied, just connected to the USB port and Windows did the rest

+ Long Cord; it is at least 5' long, allowing it easily reach anywhere on the desk

+ Good Tracking; works well on every surface I tested it on, including a generic mouse mat, a wood desktop, and my chair armrest

+ Scroll Wheel; works well for scanning through web pages and long documents



Misc -

* Very Light; I would like it to have a little more mass, but it is likely a matter of personal preference

* Minimal Packaging; came in small box containing the mouse protected in a bubble bag and a little warranty card, no plastic clam shell to cut open



While this might be too basic for some users, it is just right for our needs!



Recommended!



CFH Kensington K72356US Mouse-in-a-Box USB Desktop Mouse, Black

There is nothing spectacular about this mouse, but if you are looking for a solid mouse under $10 this is a good choice. I had to replace my parent's mouse which had buttons that were very difficult to press and a scroll wheel that was a challenge to roll. This Kensington is much better.



Like others have said, it is lightweight. For older people who simply want a mouse that works to browse the internet and look at pictures, this mouse is perfect. It does fit the hand very nicely and the buttons are very easy to click, but firm enough so you won't accidentally click them. The scroll wheel scrolls with ease and is textured for a good grip you can feel. No, I wouldn't want to use this for gaming or intense work, but for general computer use it is just right and at the right price.



I installed this on 2 separate machines, a laptop with Windows 7 and a desktop with Vista. For both, the drivers were located and the entire installation process was complete in under 20 seconds. Overall, no issues and a product I can recommend.

This isn't the slickest or most ergonomic mouse out there, but it works reliably and didn't cost too much. It has a nice long usb cord. It has a very neutral, generic shape, which is better than the tried-but-missed-the-mark "ergonomic" mice out there.

My Belkin optical mouse finally quit on me, I think I used the left button way too much playing Diner Dash. I'd never heard of the Kensington brand before now, but decided to give it a try because of the cheap price and 5 year warranty.



It has a 5 foot cord, attaches via USB port, definitely easy plug and play hookup - I'm running Vista. I have small hands and this feels comfortable. The buttons and scroll wheel work as expected as far as a basic mouse.



But if you are wanting to use it for games, even a game as basic as Solitaire, or even Slingo, find something else. This mouse is not responsive enough, and the left button starts feeling mushy after a week of using it.

I have two of these mice. One on an Dell XP system and one on an Apple G4 mac mini. They work very well on both systems. The Apple mouse quit working well, and this was a nice replacement, and a very good price that is hard to beat. I am very pleased with it in both systems. It is a good size and fits my hand well. It tracks well. It is everything I wanted in a straight forward mouse.

This is a great, inexpensive mouse that fits well with just about any computing area. The shape fits a hand well, the buttons are responsive and don't make obnoxious clicking noises, and the scroll wheel is smooth and quiet. I would definitely recommend this mouse to anyone.



Cons: only the standard 3 buttons. This isn't a con for me, but I can see how it would be for some. - Optical Mouse - Computer Accessories - Mouse - Kensington'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information