Monday 19 September 2011

4gb Flash Drive - sandisk, usb drive


To summarize the reviews of 99% of the other reviewers and my own experience all at once, here is everything the potential buyer needs to know:



* If all you want is the best possible price on a USB flash drive, this is perfect for you. It performs and you can't beat the price per unit of storage (note, however, that WalMart currently carries them for cheaper).



* As others note, there is no way to connect it to a keychain, even though there is a metal post where a metal ring SHOULD be. If you're really desperate and broke, I suppose you could fashion something from a paper clip, but it likely would not be secure.



* Yes, the drive is very flimsy feeling, and I'm not 100% sure I'd even want it banging around next to my keys anyway. I'd also be very wary of it getting wet, because I've actually taken mine apart (trying to get a damn key ring on there without any success) and there's absolutely NOTHING between the tiny circuit board and the elements except the little plastic slider, which as you might imagine would probably not even prevent a fine mist from getting through, let alone a brief exposure to rain as you try to unlock your car (but this wont be an issue because you can't get it on your keychain anyway, remember?).



* Yes, the U3 software can be annoying, but some people might actually like/want to use it. It depends on your intentions, and on whether or not you're able to get it off of there (haven't tried yet, so I can't comment).



* Personally, I had some issues getting it to connect on my computer at first. This COULD have to do with my system/USB ports, but I tried it on multiple ports including the same ports I regularly connect my iPod to, so it very well could be something with the drive.



So, the math is easy. If ALL you want is a USB flash drive for the lowest cost, you really can't go wrong here. If you have strong feelings about additional proprietary software that you might have to bother removing when you use it the first time, then you might want to think twice. If you want something that is durable and sturdy, keep looking. If you want something reasonably weather resistant, keep looking. If you want to carry this on your keychain, keep looking. SanDisk Cruzer 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive SDCZ36-004G-A11

This is a great, compact flash drive. I would recommend getting as big of a flash drive as you can reasonably afford- you'll be surprised how useful it is if you are moving between computers. Its far better than dealing a couple of CD/DVD-Rs or file transfers.

I have no need for Sandisks U3 software, so I reformatted the drive. After that, I installed Fedora Live so I can boot from the drive directly into linux. Its the fastest/easiest way to boot into Linux for my needs (student, learning Linux of course). I even had 1GB space left over that's on its own partition that's still FAT32 (the only format recognized by Xbox360). It works marvelously- and then I disconnect the drive and my computer (or any computer) boots into its normal OS.



My one complaint is the physical design of the keyring/lanyard slot/loop. The drive does not include a lanyard or mini-key ring, and the part is SO small that you can't simply attach a normal key ring. Pretty minor, but its something that could have been avoided with a more sensible design.

I have bought countless USB thumb drives over the years, and the brands I prefer are SanDisk and Transcend. After losing many caps, now days I only buy ones with RETRACTABLE USB connector, like this one. This SanDisk 4 Gb Flash Drive is very compact and has a higher quality feel compared to older models. It would be nice if the maker includes a lanyard, so that this tiny thing doesn't get lost too easily, but unfortunately these days it appears that no one maker does this.

Ok, so typical teenage boy stuff.....my son forgets his thumb drive in his pocket, it gets washed and dried and I collect it from the bottom of the dryer, thinking there is no way this thing has survived and all his school files are now gone. As, I'm thinking how I'm gonna let him have it, I decide to pop it into my mac and give it a try......what the heck, right? I was shocked when all the files appeared, I clicked on each one, the program application opened each file and showed his saved files, all intact! I think this is the best thumb drive ever - for kids, at least!.....but I'm still gonna let him have it.....

After a few weeks of use I can't find any flaws with the 4 Gigabyte Sandisk Cruzer.

The slide works quite smoothly, locks in the extended position firmly and only requires mild pressure to unlock and retract.

The slide lights amber when the USB flash is in use and is easy to see in a well lighted room.

The flash drive is small, light weight, and comfortable to carry in the pocket thanks to the rounded edges of the drive.

The flash drive can be attached to a key chain by adding a 1/4" ring to the slot on bottom of the flash drive. No ring is supplied.

I have had no read/write problems with the flash drive or any other problems. - 4gb Flash Drive - Usb Flash Drive - Usb Drive - Sandisk'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information