Tuesday 13 September 2011

Apartment Living


I've been using a Q100 / Baby Q for over 2 years now, and am still impressed by the quality of the product and what I'm able to do with it given it's small size. Here's the set up:



Q100 Grill

Weber Cart

Bulk tank adapter

5-lb. propane tank



The grill surface is large enough for a family of four. Six 1/3 lb. burgers fit well enough; more and they are hard to turn. I've also been able to do two average sized tri-tips at once. The lid isn't tall enough to allow a whole chicken. I was a bit wary of the 8K BTU rating at first, but the grill heats up just fine- it will do a wonderful sear on pretty much anything after 7-10 minutes of preheat. The heat is also very even, with the virtually whole grill surface usable. The best thing about the small burner is fuel efficiency; 5 lbs. of propane lasts all season (in SoCal!) at 1-2 uses per week. Please note that this is a single burner grill with a ring-shaped burner. Indirect cooking isn't really possible although on low heat, one can get close enough to do justice to a tri-tip.



I've only got a couple of small complaints... First, the support ring for the portable tank (at least with the Baby Q) only accepted 14 oz. propane bottles- the kind used with plumber's torches. They are more expensive than the 16 oz. bottles used for camping. I just made my own 16 oz. bottle ring out of a heavy coat hanger. Of course with the bulk tank, this is a non-issue. The 5 lb. tank (from Home Depot) is pretty small. Second, the grill is somewhat sensitive to wind. A good breeze blowing through the sides causes a definite loss of temperature above the grill surface, under the lid. Cooking is still possible but times go up about 30-40%. Last, the holes in the burner can get clogged up, especially when there's a lot of liquid pouring off the grill surface. I've had to 'unclog' parts of the burner with a push-pin a couple of times now.



Anyway, I love the product as it's about 75% of a full-size grill at 1/3 the size and 1/4 the price, within its limits (grill area). I think the only thing I'd do differently is get the version with the side tables (Q120). Weber 386002 Q 100 Portable Propane Gas Grill

For those of you wondering if this grill gets hot enough to cook steaks... well it definite does. I had looked into the more expensive unit like the Solaire Anywhere grill because of its infrared feature, but after reading about how it tends to burn and undercook everything, I opted for this Q-100. It surprisingly gets hot enough to seared 1.25" rib-eye steaks due to the heat conductive iron-cast grate. By the way, the bigger 16oz propane bottle now fits the grill without modification - it even said so in the owner's manual. Also, save yourself money by getting the Charbroil 4-foot adapter hose (model #4623) at Home Depot instead of the one from Weber. From a guy who's accustomed to grilling steaks on a Viking Ultra-Premium T-Series grill, I can say that this is a nice portable unit that doesn't sacrifice much on performance. See some sample images I uploaded.

Last year when I bought this grill, over 100 people had written 4 plus star reviews. So I took their advice and bought this grill, you can see those reviews if you look for Baby Q.

A year later I still love cooking on the Q. I cook for three plus leftovers. The heavy grate is fantastic, all the other grills had thin,flimsy grates. I love grilling with the Q, I can cook dinner in 15-20 minutes.

I hooked mine up to a 5 lb propane tank. The five lb tank is the smallest tank you can buy, I can cook for a month on it.

This grill starts out hot for 6 months, then to get it to grill hot with a propane tank... turn tank on slowly, over ten seconds, and then light grill at the end of two minutes.

Lots of people use tanks with this grill.Weber does not like it, but the support women will talk you through set up if you ask nice. The weber hot line is veryhelpful with cooking suggestions, I had a temp problem they helped me resolve, but buy the book.



Get a stop watch,a basting brush, tongs,grill brush and read the Webber grilling book. This makes a huge difference in the quality of your cooking, I mean it, follow a few directions to get sucess everytime. The weber book is worth is for the grilling time charts.

Leaving charcoal behind took me way too long... this is superior.

Support from Weber is wonderful....

So buy this grill and have fun cooking this summer.



Another year later I am still in love with my grill. The heavy cast iron grate is what makes ths grill superior to other, cheaper grills. My friends bought the cheaper ones, the food sticks, and burns on.

You must clean the grate when the grill is hot, after cooking, it takes about one minutes of scarping with the grill brush. My friends with the cheap grills never want to grill, their grills are dirty and a pain to clean. My grill is always ready to go.

I don't write many reviews, but was impressed with the Weber Baby Q.



It no longer has the retaining wire for the small gas cylinder, so accepts the larger 16oz. The cylinder doesn't flop around and seems stable without extra support. Of course, many will use with a larger tank but for those that don't, buy whichever size you want.



Some people have written they've had problems with the starter. I've only used it 4 times and 2 of those times the wind was really whipping through the porch. No trouble starting it, only took 1 click each time.



I line the inside with foil and will only change it when it gets coated. That saves some cleanup. Spraying or brushing the grill or your meat (I use olive oil) also helps and keeps things from sticking so much. GREAT grill marks on the steaks!



I thought we would miss the charcoal grill with the wood chip smoke, but I read another reviewer's hint on how to get the wood smoke. Make a tiny foil pan to fit that flat area over the spark starter. I made my little pan about 1" by 2" and maybe half inch high. Then soak your chips for the required 20-30 min (I used Mesquite chips). It worked great and we had our Mesquite smoke flavoring... and it doesn't take hardly any chips:-)



Last but not least, the steaks and burgers have tasted great!! And this is soooooo much easier than the charcoal grill, specially for doing something quick after work when you're tired.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information