Saturday 17 September 2011

Battery Packs - lithium-ion, makita


I have owned a set of Makita tools with the LXT batteries for a couple years now and I have noticed absolutely zero power loss or any other problems. I use them quite regularly whether building concrete forms, decks, remodels, etc. I can think of three things that may be happening to the batteries of those who have commented on bad performance or longevity; (1) Occasionally, batteries can be bad from the factory (I have yet to own a milwaukee tool with the new "V" or "M" series battery that holds up past a few months. I have both V28 and M12, and have had ALL packs replaced) (2) It is possible to have a bad charger which is damaging the batteries itself, or (3) Perhaps the users are taking them all the way to the point of stalling and complete discharge, and for that the batteries are truly not made to do. It is best that once you notice the battery pack is wearing down, to grab a fresh one and put the discharged on the charger to cool down and refresh. Also, if the batteries are being stored for most of their life, it is best to keep the charger plugged in and rotate batteries through it to keep everything active and refreshed. Lithium batteries have computer chips and sophisticated circuitry, allowing them to constantly be charged without damage. Ni-Cad on the other hand are not supposed to be charged over and over again because they typically have memory effects and lifetime charging limits. It is best to mostly, not completely, discharge a Ni-Cad before replacing back onto the charger. Because a consumer only has ultimate control of this last variable, it is a good idea to read the owners manual and find out what the manufacturer thinks is best operating practices. Only those who are using the batteries and tools know how they are being treated, and you may very well be doing everything right and not fall into this third category. Being that my kit is from a couple years ago, and my newest battery packs (purchased just for continued use because I have many LXT tools) were purchased last year sometime, it is possible that the newer batteries are of a lesser quality, and that would be unfortunate. What I can say is this; I own many Dewalt tools, which I have only had to replace a couple Ni-Cad battery packs in the past 5 years. (Dewalt tools are mostly made in Mexico) I have owned MANY Milwaukee tools in which their Ni-Cads held up pretty well, but their Li-Ion line is absolute crap. Several years ago when their tools were still made in the US, their quality was impeccable. Their tools are now made completely in China. (Yes, many of the Makitas are also) I own several Bosch as well, and their batteries and tools are right up there with Makita's quality. As far as Skil, Black and Decker, and any other cheaper or knock-off brand goes, I would personally never purchase them. For one, you are supporting China, and secondly you would be purchasing a tool that is undependable. Hitachi has an excellent warranty, and makes excellent air nailers, however I'm unsure of the quality you may find in their power tools, both corded and cordless. I hope this was helpful. Makita BL1815 18-Volt 1.5 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Battery

I love the drill but the battery life is a real problem. I had both original packs replaced under warranty when the charger reported them bad. Now one of the replacements is flashing bad on the charger. These have been cycled maybe a dozen times. I'll be complaining to Makita and also reporting this on the various woodworking groups I support.

Really, these batteries provide seemingly endless power. They hold their charge for weeks with very little loss. I can use one battery for drilling and driving throughout an entire (moderately sized) project. They are extremely lightweight and charge in twenty minutes or less usually (in hot weather it takes longer). All three of mine slide on and off easily, with no issues of binding or falling off. With all the praise comes a VERY important caveat. DO NOT run these batteries into the ground. The instructions state that as soon as you notice a loss of power, stop and charge. If you over-discharge Li-Ion batteries, you can seriously degrade the life of the battery. These batteries are 1/3 cheaper on Amazon.com than at the home centers, so buy from here! Also, only the cells themselves are made in Japan, all other parts are made and final assembly is in China.

I replaced a 14.4 Milwaukee NiCad with a Makita LXT and noticed that my old Milwaukee NiCads outlasted these in terms of longevity. Run time is solid, but lifespan is short. Two dead after one year, I'm only a homeowner. I've only done a few lengthy jobs such as putting cement board down in a 10x20 room, and building a deck with these, in addition to the other basic tasks of drywall, and other light construction needs. Love the light weight though. Now, I need new ones. Somewhat disappointing.

I went ahead and invested in a pair of these batteries despite the mixed reviews, figuring I'd at least get a year out of them with the warranty. So far, they've performed just fine, even on tools that are supposed to only use the BL1830. I mostly use them on the BHP454 drill (note: this is one of the tools that's keyed for the 1830 pack) and BTD141 impact driver when I'm not going to be using them for long, so the decreased runtime doesn't bother me. I also use them on the angle grinder and recip saw (after removing the little tab on the tools) for light work in tight spaces. I wouldn't want them to be my only batteries, but they're a great addition to a couple of the larger batteries if you have a few tools that can use them.



These slim packs are very handy on the drill, impact, and flashlight- the lighter weight and smaller size are noticeable, especially with the smaller (BDF/BHP452) drills. However, buyer beware when it comes to using them on the 'heavier' tools, as they are keyed for the larger batteries because they can draw more current than these smaller batteries can provide without damaging the cells. So you probably shouldn't slap one of these on your circular saw and go ripping 2x12s all day, or you'll kill the pack very quickly. Makita isn't trying to screw you into buying more batteries, they're trying to make sure you don't kill your batteries.



Another note, considering how many complaints of defective packs there are: don't run these batteries down to nothing, and try not to store them fully charged. Running them into the ground is a sure way to damage the cells, and I've read estimates of up to 20%/year capacity loss for a fully-charged pack, compared to as low as 2%/year for a pack stored @ 40% charge.



And of course, like any cordless tool/battery purchase- shop your options before buying batteries separately. I got the BHP452HW kit for only $50 more than 2 batteries. That's a cheap, easy way to have a spare drill or driver and charger for around the house, or to sell to recoup the extra cost.



I'm knocking off one star because Makita doesn't do a good job of letting people know that these slim packs only work on certain tools- and not very many, either. That's been a complaint for years now, and it's still not mentioned anywhere in their literature or website- even my local Makita dealer didn't know they weren't compatible with all LXT tools. It's not like it's standard practice- Bosch's and Milwaukee's slim packs fit their entire lineup, AFAIK. - 18 Volt - Makita - 18v - Lithium-ion'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information