Wednesday 7 September 2011

Belt Hole Punch


This is the cheapest hand punch you can buy, and you shouldn't. The handles are made from formed sheet steel -- the razor sharp edges from fabrication have not been removed. If you buy or own one, smooth down those edges with a file or a knife steel, or you're going to bleed at an inconvenient time. The punches themselves are not removable and rotate into place. This wouldn't be bad if it was only for occasional use, but the punches are not 90 degrees and flush to the brass anvil on mine and therefore it doesn't punch clean holes, you have to clean out the scrap with a knife. If Chinese leather workers actually have to use this tool, I feel very sorry for them.



Summary: Spend a little more for a decent punch. Don't buy a PSO (punch shaped object). Leather Hole Punch Tool

This tool is very poorly made and not adequate for any leather. The wheel is not in sync with the pad and when trying to punch a hole the wheel turns. The supplier contected me an offered to send me a heavy duty tool which I thought was very generous. However since that contact I have not heard from the supplier. I offered to return the tool and to pay the difference for a more adequate tool but have heard nothing from the supplier.

Shipping was fast. The tool had an issue:

The safety lever would not open. It was too long so it was not possible for it to slide/turn to open position. Had to use my file to file it down to correct length so it would turn open.

After that mod, it worked fine.

Punches holes through leather with no problems at all and the tips are sharp enough.



In my case, I had to fix it and made it work. So I rated it as OK (3 stars out of 5) because the price was right. You get what you pay for.



Now I am happy with it.

The item arrived promptly, well packaged, and I found it to be as advertised. It worked well for the purpose for which I purchased it, and I have no complaints about the item, or the purchasing process. I found it to be a good value for the price I paid.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information