Friday 9 September 2011

Color - art supplies, colored markers


I tried the original 'fine' bic mark it pens and really liked them. They have a pretty great range of colors AND best of all - they sell open stock of their colors. ALL of the colors. No such luck with the 'other' guys. With the limited edition approach they take, to replace $harpie colors you need to buy several that you don't need in order to get the ones you want - wasteful and expensive. With the bic pens that's not a problem. But I require ultrafine point markers. I need the precision for details. And now the marker gods have answered - with these bic markit ultrafines!



The 36 set has all the colors available. So for detail you can use these, if you need to cover more space you can use the 'fine' point ones. I've never cared for the definition of 'fine' points. Because they kind of aren't. These I would consider a fine point and the .005 type pens I would consider ultrafine. Anyway that's not important. What is important is that these are:



nice pens, comfy to hold

good range of colors

the ink flow is good, doesn't drip or pool up

the size of the markers is the same as the fine point ones. the only difference is the tip which means it has a really decent amount of ink in there

the case it comes in is a kinda cool foldout thing to store the markers

really nice price for a 36 set - cheaper than the other guys which is only 24 - AND with open stock if you have a fave that always runs out first



If you're a $harpie fiend like me then give them a try. As for me, these have become my new old faves.



Also for anyone who needs to know the package also states:



Acid-Free Ink*

*no added acid;no measurable PH - this means that there may be a little in there but not enough to worry about. Just a part of the process to make the markers most likely. I guess this matters for rubber stamp people or scrapbookers? Not sure but anywho, now you know.



Also consider that you have to put something down under the paper you're using. These - like all permanent markers - WILL bleed through. BIC Mark-It Color Collection Ultra Fine Permanent Marker, Assorted, 36 Markers

I've been a huge fan of felt point pens since the 60's when I used to use the ones my Dad kept on his desk for detailed drawings of all my favorite creations. When I got old enough to buy my own gear, Flairs, Expresso's and Sharpies were always big favorites. But having tried these Bic's, they may just yet take the prize. The color selection is fabulous, the line quality and color intensity is great, the feel in the hand is much more comfortable than a Sharpie (though I never felt myself complaining about them) and they're just a complete delight to work with. Yes, they are permanent, so don't use them without taking that into account, or you might just stain something you don't mean to. The package these 36 pens come in allows you to spread the pens out while keeping them in control, then pack them back up for easy storage with just two folds. Very clever. I can highly recommend these to anyone who enjoys using top quality felt tip permanent markers for drawing, sketching, coloring or writing (on very high quality paper).

I love Mark-It pens. The ultra fine ones come in a lot of colors including pastels which are fantastic for Shrink Film 8-1/2 Inch X11 Inch Sheets 6/Pkg-Clear because when you shrink plastic the colors intensify and darken quite a bit so a hot pink marker will come out looking more red or burgundy than pink.

I've also used these on domino pendants. The pendants do have to be sealed after coloring, but the colors dry well without smearing. For crafty purposes, these are my favorite permanent markers.

The price is just right too for a lot of colors.

I have been using Sharpie ultra fine point markers for years and really like them but thought the price of this product couldn't be beat and thought the assortment of colors looked great on the page. When I started to use them over half the colors are very similar and don't come out well. I also found the tips are not half as good as sharpie. The basic colors are good but I feel Sharpie is much better

1. When I buy 36 markers, I expect to get 36 recognizably different colors.

2. The color/hue on the tip, band, and clip of the pen was so different from the color of the ink that I had to tape a "cheat sheet" to the container to remember which pen was which color. No pastels except peach in the set; all others were of at least a medium hue.

3. Ultra Fine apparently means Medium to Bic. I needed Ultra Fine markers for my project, not Medium. Thus the two-star (not three) rating.

4. The pens bleed like a head wound. On the Dover Publications Mystic Mandala coloring book, where designs are printed on both sides of the page, I colored one side and got an impressionistic version on the other, effectively rendering one colored page into two.

5. The packaging is a nice three-fold design that can stand on its own, yet folds compact.

6. The actual colors are vivid and lovely.

7. Finally, it's a great price for 36 markers.

I purchased these pens from Amazon, after not being able to find this particular set at any retail store. My daughter wanted them for her lettering hobby, and we had been looking for pens like these for months. She needed colored pens that were not thick-tipped like felt-pens, but not super thin like pigment liner pens. She has been using them practically everyday since they arrived, and says they are "great". I will definitely buy them from Amazon again.

I bought these markers because I like to make really detailed drawings. You can make really thin lines if you are quick, but I discovered that these markers work even better for filling in with color. The colors blend well and a lot of ink will come out if you draw slowly. I love the tips. I love the case they come in.



The selection of colors in the 36 marker set is fantastic. I haven't used up the ink in any of my markers and I've been drawing/coloring with them a lot. If I do use up the ink, I am just going to buy more because I love them so much. - Art Supplies - Marker Pens - Colored Markers - Color'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information