Saturday 24 September 2011

Cordless Screwdriver - lightweight, cordless tools


I happen to have all three Dewalt 12 volt Max: Impact, Screw Driver, and Drill Driver. Like another reviewer here, I too am puzzled as to why this Screwdriver is better than the Impact for most situations. Having used all three Max drivers, I find that the Impact driver does pretty much everything the Screwdriver would do, but better. Only thing the Screw driver would be better at is if you are screwing in to more delicate (electronics) or fragile material, but if you were doing that then you really don't even need this much power since much cheaper & more compact alternatives exist. The "IMPACT" feature on the Dewalt Impact Driver, only comes on automatically when there is a need for it; so even if you were doing delicate screwing, it still works fine if you can just adjust finger pressure a bit; so I'm really puzzled as to the existence of this Dewalt Screwdriver product.



I also find that I'm far less likely to strip phillips screws using the Impact Driver than this Screwdriver. One reviewer commented that this driver has impact-like feature. I don't think that is true. I think he might be referring to the torque control knob similar to a drill driver. This is nothing like the Impact Driver. You can really feel the difference when you use both. When challenged, the Max ScrewDriver will either strip the screw or just start free spinning because of the torque control setting, but the Impact Driver will really drive the screw in when you hold the trigger all the way down. If you didn't want the screw to over tighten, then you apply, say, half the trigger pressure, and it will tap lightly, still without stripping or free-spinning.



This is an exceptionally well made tool. The build quality is much finer than most other tools I've tried around. The power on these Max drills are surprisingly strong. I also have a bigger 18v lithium Hitachi, but I really can't tell the difference in power between the Max (12v) and the 18v for most of the stuff I do around the house.



However, I regret purchasing this one from the Max series, because I seem to favor the Dewalt Max 12v Impact Driver for most jobs. For me, this is an over-powered screw driver that I might use only on delicate parts connected to electronics or something; again, I would rather have less power and smaller size for that though. It doesn't make sense for me to own this, but I'm no expert, so if anyone can explain to me why I should keep this, please make a comment soon. I would return this right away if I hadn't purchased it as a bundle with the other Max drivers. DEWALT DCF610S2 12-Volt Max 1/4-Inch Screwdriver Kit

Pros:

- compact, short, lightweight = a joy to use

- slim handle is great for smaller hands (e.g. women, kids)

- LED lighting is superb

- well balanced

- stands upright; belt hook

- excellent battery life between uses

- relatively inexpensive for additional battery packs (30 USD)

- powerful enough for 98% of my drilling/driving needs



Cons:

- hex chucks require special hex shank drill bits

- not cheap (but worth the price I think)



Dewalt was little late in releasing their compact driver drills (Bosch has had one for years), but they really set themselves apart for the rest with this one.



I think this category of drill is perfect for most homeowners. Bosch, Porter-Cable, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and others all make ultra compact 12V lithium ion driver/drills. They are all a vast improvement over previous options because:



1) Lightweight: e.g. drilling over you head to hang pictures

2) Lithium Ion Batteries: don't lose as much charge between uses

3) Compact: can fit your drill in tight places



All manufacturers except Dewalt put the battery in the handle which makes for a beefy handle and an off balance drill. Dewalt puts the battery at the bottom which balances the drill and allows it to have a more ergonomic grip. My wife tried some of the other drills with the battery in the handle and found them awkward to hold because of the size of the grip. She loves this one.



The combination of a lightweight drill with a slim grip makes this the perfect drill for many women. Even my kids can use it. My wife hates my Porter Cable 14.4 volt NiCad because it is so darn heavy that she has to use two hands and almost throws out her back doing it. Now my doesn't have to ask me to do the drilling because she can do it herself comfortably.



Dewalt is a great choice for drill to have around the house that every one can use.

What a great piece of equipment! It is so light and handy that I wish I had bought it a long time ago. So easy to use and just the right amount of power for doing small engine work. Not as clumsy and the 18v tool that I had been using and seems to have almost as much power. Battery lasts a long time too. Would recommend this to anyone.

I bought this Dewalt DCF610 (the 1/4 screwdriver, with adjustable clutch settings, but no chuck) to do general woodworking and as a "carry around" cordless drill/driver. Although DeWalt calls it a screwdriver, I use it as a drill too. I use quick change drill bit and driver bits almost all the time, and I wanted the compact size more than I wanted a chuck.



The size, weight and ergonomics are perfect for me. It has a bright white LED light that comes on before the drill starts, which is great for working in dim areas. The clutch has a nice range of torque settings, to keep from stripping or "camming out" small screws. On higher settings, the tool has plenty of torque for larger jobs. The trigger range is smooth and predictable, and has a lockout position on the reversing slider that leaves the LED light available, but keeps the drill off. The upper speed is 1050 RPM, which is fine for me. I also like the you can set it upright on the battery housing, which is a nice touch.



Will it match or replace a 18V impact drill or hammer drill? No. If you are fastening down decking or drilling holes in concrete, this is not the tool to use. But it is the right tool for most of my work, and is the first drill I reach for in the shop or in my carry around tool box.



It comes with a basic charger, two batteries, and a decent if not fancy bag that I will find a use for. I paid $139 for it at home and farm center, but received a $50 gift card rebate that is as good as cash to me. I have learned to check replacement battery costs before buying, and the $40 batteries are a welcome benefit.



For the general woodworker and DIYer, this is a really nice tool. Thanks for reading!



Matthew - Lightweight - Cordless Tools - Drills - Hand Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information