Sunday 25 September 2011

Digital Picture Frame


The main reason I decided to buy a digital photo frame is because printing out photos from my Sony DSC-H5 on an Epson PictureMate to share with the family got pretty tiresome. Sure, the prints looked good, but printing them took a long time, they cost about 35 cents apiece and some of the older relatives couldn't see them very well. I figured a digital photo frame would improve the whole process. My requirements were simple: the frame must have very high resolution, be small and lightweight (for packing in a carry-on suitcase), and accept images via a Memory Stick and also via a standard USB interface (which many, I found, do not).



The Sony DPF-D810 meets all of my requirements with flying colors. The 800-by-600-pixel 8-inch-diagonal display is clear, crisp, bright and saturated. Photos display instantly, either singly, until you manually advance them, or in a slideshow with your choice of 10 time intervals from three seconds to 24 hours and with your choice of six transition effects. You can show the full image or crop it to fit the screen. If the aspect ratio of the picture is wider than 4:3, thin black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen--the image itself is undistorted. You can display image information such as the time and date taken, camera type, shutter speed and aperture, EV compensation and more. The unit will show photos directly from an SD memory card, Memory Stick Duo or USB flash drive, or you can copy them to the internal memory, which holds about 150 high-resolution images. A mini-USB connector lets you transfer photos directly from your computer. You can choose from 14 different full-screen clock and calendar displays, or integrate a clock and/or calendar with six of the 10 different slideshow display options. Thus you can place this frame on a desk or mantel and run it all the time as a useful item of room decor. You can even choose whether or not to display the bright "Sony" logo on the lower part of the frame. All in all, this is a very impressive device that should satisfy the most demanding user. Plus, it is small (roughly 9 inches by 7 inches by 1 inch) and lightweight (less than 1-1/2 pounds, including the AC transformer and the remote control).



Speaking of which, the remote control is a great bonus. When I first set up the DPF-D810, I found it difficult to see the on-screen menus while manipulating tiny buttons with minuscule labels on the back of the unit. Then I used the remote. What a difference! You can access all of the frame's well-designed and logically arranged setup and functional menus with ease. Not all frames in this price category offer remotes. I didn't care about it when I selected this frame, but now I wouldn't be without it.



Even though I wanted a digital photo frame for just one simple purpose, I was pleased to find that this one far exceeded my expectations and offered much more than I needed for a reasonable price. If you're considering taking the next logical evolutionary step in digital photography by displaying your pictures on a photo frame rather than printing them, I highly recommend you consider the Sony DPF-D810. Sony DPF-D810 8-Inch SVGA LCD (4:3) Digital Photo Frame (Black)

I'm the one in the family...and extended family...that does the shopping for electronics/digital products. You know me, many of you have that guy in your own families or group of friends.

When I decided to buy digital frames for my parents and my wife for this Christmas, I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of digital frames. I read a lot of reviews as well and compared many of the features available. Here's what I liked about the Sony DPF-D810 8-inch SVGA Frame:



Simply to use, yet has advanced features that you don't get in this price range

Sturdy, well thought-out design (even the remote is sturdy...many have flimsy remotes that are useless)

4:3 format...standard photo size, so it doesn't undesirably crop your precious photos

Allows the use of all standard memory cards to include USB thumb drives -great for anyone that might be technically challenged

It's not a knock-off brand and was obviously well tested..I didn't have to wonder how long it would reliably work



It's not the biggest frame on the market...it's not the most expensive (by far)

It is a great buy for $79!

Excellent picture, good desktop size. Great that it has multiple ways of getting data. You can also superimpose a clock over your picture which is neat, but not always practical.

The only thing I could think of that it cannot do is that I'd like to be able to set the speed at which the slideshow advances. Apparently you can only show one slide, or have a pre-determined speed slideshow. Great for sharing and viewing, but I'd like to see it change maybe every half hour for my desk. Still, it's otherwise perfect. Well worth the money. Remote is more handy than you would think.

I don't know why you would want the Sony logo to show, but it's nice they allow you to turn that off.

I shopped around a little bit and looked at maybe 10 different digital picture frames before buying this one on Amazon. All I can say is this is one of the best buying choices I've ever made, and I'm so glad I did. Just to warn you, this product arrived only today, so I've had only a day to play around with it. But what other reviewers said is absolutely true: the resolution on this digital picture frame is just incredible. For me resolution was all that mattered, along with ease in how images are input into the frame, and this model takes care of both of those. High resolution pictures look absolutely crisp and clear with this frame, exactly as you would see them on a computer monitor, which is what I had hoped for, but I suspected I would be disappointed. The truth is the picture quality is even better than I could have imagined. Let's put it this way, even low resolution pictures (say, 600 by 400) look great in this frame, even though they do appear grainy, as one would expect. But somehow with a combination of the frame's backlighting and precision, even low resolution images appear more clear and clean than you would expect. From a resolution standpoint you absolutely cannot go wrong, especially if you can get this frame for around $79, as I did.



The only cons I have found with this product thus far are that the controls on the back of the frame to set up various options are extremely cumbersome and difficult to get used to; however, the included remote is much easier to use, and after a few clicks you're pretty much ready to go. Aside from that, it's just a matter of inserting your picture media, which basically just means sliding in a standard memory stick or memory card, and selecting how you want the pictures to be shown--either one at a time, several at a time in smaller view, or in various other ways. The other downside I have found is that thus far I have not been able to figure out how to get my pictures to display in a specific order that I choose. The frame seems to have a mind of its own when you're trying put pictures in a specific order. This may just be the result of my own ignorance of how this frame works, given that I've had it such a short time. There are also many features that I find excessive, such as the ability to display about six different types of digital clocks or calendars instead of pictures--why anyone would want to do this with such a wonderful picture frame is a mystery, but you can if you want to.



To put it simply, if you want a good quality, durable picture frame that offers very high resolution and crystal clear photo output while giving you several different, easy ways to input photos, this is definitely the frame for you. The remote is a nice touch also, and it works very well. You really can't go wrong with this frame. My recommendation is fantastic buy, and once other people you know see it, they'll want one, too, so you had better hide yours once you get it! What a phenominal piece of technology!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information