Thursday 8 September 2011

Ergonomic Keyboard - split keyboard, comfortable


I work in IT, so I get to try A LOT of different keyboards. This is, by far, the best keyboard that I have ever had. I got my first Microsoft Natural Elite about 10 years ago and am only now replacing it because I took it apart to clean it and lost the screws. These things last and last. It got a little louder as it aged, but other than that (and being filthy), it was as good as the day I bought it before I disassembled it.



When I first purchased this keyboard, I immediately picked up about 10 words per minute. I type fast (average around 100 words per minute), and I attribute a lot of that to using a comfortable keyboard.



I code a lot and I email a lot, and I can type on this thing for hours without any wrist or hand strain. The only real drawback is that it's ruined other keyboards for me. When I use a standard straight keyboard, I'm now much more aware of just how awkward and uncomfortable it is. When I use any Apple keyboard, for example, my wrists hurt and my hands cramp after a few minutes.



I recommend this keyboard to anybody for whom comfort is a priority. You cannot beat a split ergonomic keyboard. There may be a bit of a learning curve for non touch typists, but the benefit to your body is well worth the investment.



A final note: I prefer this keyboard over the larger "pro" models because I don't need or like the extra keys for multimedia, etc. and this one is a bit smaller. Also, be advised that they Home/End/Delete/Page Up/Page Down/Insert keys and the arrow keys are not arranged in the standard way. I use all of these keys a lot, but the different placement has never been a problem for me. Microsoft Wired Natural Keyboard Elite Win PS2/USB English North America Black

Fair warning, this keyboard is not for the point and peck typer. And the touch typer will be annoyed for the first week or two until you get used to it.



That being said, I have replaced all of my keyboards with these. I actually carry one around in my laptop bag, and it doesn't exactly fit. Why am I such a fanatic about it? Simply, I spend 8-14 hours a day on the computer. Though I'm very athletic, and have strong arms and hands from years of rock climbing, kayaking, and lifting weights, all to fight off the typical computer jockey physique, at the end of a work day, my hands felt week and painful. I started using one of these as a last ditch effort to avoid going on disability.



The simple fact is that I can type faster, longer, and far more comfortably on these then on any other keyboard I have ever used. No, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. But I don't need them, or use them. If you can't do it with hot keys, your doing it wrong. This keyboard isn't for casual users, if you want email buttons on your keyboard, move along, this is not the keyboard you're looking for. If you type all day, and your hands, wrists, shoulders and neck are killing you, this is the keyboard for you.



There is a learning curve, but trust me, if you are a touch typer, it's worth the effort to get used to them. You will never go back. I know I haven't, and I've been using them for 15 years now.



Simply the best keyboards you will ever buy.



Now if MS's software were just as good we would really be getting someplace.

I have been a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard user for quite a while. I like a fresh response and sometimes replace it every 6 months to a year. This model types about the same, feels about the same, and is smaller without a soft wrist wrest to the previous Microsoft models. That being said, it functions well, really does help with reducing my shoulder strain and I can type very efficiently on it.



So now for the drawbacks:



The arrow keys are strange. The up & down keys aren't back to back. To save space, the left and right arrows are back to back. This causes me a lot of heartburn because I'm a big arrow user. I'm still adjusting.



As well, the page up/down button area is also slightly different than the typical keyboard. If you're a big user of any of those keys, you may also want to be aware of the difference.



I do like this model because it fits my desk better, but the arrows issue still bothers me. We'll see if I can get used to it.

This is exactly what I was looking for and it shipped really fast. I got a new Windows 7 computer with a standard keyboard that I didn't like. This is exactly like the one I was used to, and it has the USB2 connection to work with my new system. It also has the PS2 connection to work with my husband's old system in case he needs it. And it comes in both black and white. Good product, [...] was a good company for the vendor. Thanks Amazon.

Watch the height if using on a computer desk with slide out keyboard drawer. Didn't think about this and since the height of the keyboard(2.6 according to manufacturer) is different from the regular flat keyboards(1.5 inch). When sliding the drawer in and out the keys rub the bottom of the desk even though I have a 2 and 1/4 inch gap between drawer and bottom of desk which is probably a pretty standard gap on computer desk, measure first. Other than that it is great. - Natural Keyboard - Keyboard - Split Keyboard - Comfortable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information