Tuesday 20 September 2011

Farberware - egg poachers, kitchen


A very high quality piece of specialized kitchen equipment. Does a perfect job of poaching. The glass lid lets you moniter the cooking process and it's vented. Has a nice weight and the teflon cups keep the eggs whole.It's as easy as making a soft-boiled egg.If I had to do it again I probably would have bought the 6 egg model because now the whole family want's poached eggs. Fagor 4-Piece Egg Poacher Set

As a chef, I tend to be overly critical of kitchen pieces I buy. This piece is made from quality materials and poaches eggs very well. The 4 is perfect for my wife and I, but if you have more people, I would take a look at the six egg. If you need an egg poacher, look no further.

I was very pleased with the impressive quality, design and function of this egg poacher. The eggs came out PERFECT. They popped right out of the cups. No messy clean up. Also, the generous handles to pick up the cups were not overlooked; they were so easy to pick up with an oven mitt. No fumbling with a fork to get the cups out like with some other egg poachers. The beautiful brushed stainless steel pan and glass lid were also extremely well made. I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally find the perfect poacher!

I've had this pan for about six months, but the cups which have never been "non-stick" are scratched and our eggs are infiltrated with pieces of the egg cups coating. I emailed Fagor to try to get replacement cups since the pan itself is in great shape. They DON'T sell replacement cups! I cannot believe it really. I'm sending the pan to Goodwill and buying a Calphalon. $31.99 for a pan that lasts for six months is too much.

I love this egg poacher. With a little butter or spray nothing sticks. I use it all the time. The only problem is that because the handle and the knob on the lid are metal, they get VERY hot when cooking. So its easy to burn yourself. Just be careful.

Just a thought/note on those worried about the teflon issue. Since you are poaching with this, that means you are using water/steam. By definition (physics) that means the teflon will never heat up over boiling (100 degrees celsius/212 F). This is generally a fairly low heat.



However, once Teflon starts to flake off, you might want to toss it...

I bought this for a friend who was pleased with the high-quality saute pan and glass lid, however she was put off by the cups being made of teflon. I didn't know she had an issue with it.



Supposedly studies have found that pans coated with Teflon can give off unhealthy fumes when the pans are heated to medium and high temperatures.



Perhaps this is an issue for some and not for others.



Anyway, she really liked everything about it except for the cups.



Shipping and delivery time from Macy's (via Amazon) was very fast.

This poacher is a very high quality commercial version. Its a cinch to clean up & I highly recommend this model compared to the cheaper models.

A couple tips:

1) bring the water to boil without the cups or lid on (otherwise they will get too hot to touch by the time the eggs are done being poached)

2) put a little oil on a paper towel and wipe on each cup before use (i don't use butter or margarine.. no need to)

3) bring the water to a boil then turn the heat down to half and put the cups in, then crack the eggs, place the lid on and set the timer for 2:30 minutes or to your liking.

I bought this for my mother at Christmas. She has been raving about it ever since. She loves the quality of the pan, it has a heavy base construction that allows for excellent heat transfer. She also loves the non-stick egg cups and that there are 4. Her other one had only three and they were not non-stick. She has asked where I got it and wants me to order a second!!! - Egg Cookers - Kitchen - Eggs - Egg Poachers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information