Thursday 1 September 2011

Garmin Nuvi 260 - friction mount, gps mount


I purchased this with some doubt as it was considerably less than a genuine Garmin mount.



Upon arrival my doubts increased as the wings (front) of this platform are not as wide as the genuine Garmin unit which I also own.



Further, the knock off is two ounces lighter and I wondered if the slight weight difference would amount to a significant stability difference in combination with the slimmer footprint.



Well, after tooling around town and the expressway for several days with this unit on the dash I can say it works quite well.



I do believe the genuine Garmin unit would stay stable under greater inertia changes than this knockoff, but if you slam into a full swerving brake both units will go flying and I have found the knockoff has maintained it's position just fine under harder driving and turning (flat out swerving) than I or those with me prefer to experience. LOL



So I give this a full five star rating on both functionality and price. GBFM: Portable and Bendable Friction Dashboard Mount for Garmin Nuvi GPS (Comparable to 010-11280-00)

This Friction Mount works great for my Garmin. It is nice to have the ability to put away my GPS without leaving a circle on my windshield for security reasons. I even bought this for my son to use as well.

I have had this item for about a week now and do not think it is that great.

I like the size of it but it seems to have the same problem as reviews for the Garmin mount have said, this one also leaves dull spots on the dash where it is placed. If I go over the spots with a product that shines the dash, the spots will dissapear but as soon as I sit it back on the dash, the dull spots return. I just do not know if it will in time do damage to the dash.

There is no problem with it sliding on the dash during sharp turns or brake applications. Perhaps it is due to the hot sun in Florida, but the rubber on the bottom of the unit that causes it to stick to the dash has begun to pull away from the base and I have only had it for a week.

I bought this as a gift for my girlfriend (I know, real romantic, right?) and was a bit hesitant at first, but decided against spending the extra money for the Garmin brand one. I'm glad I did. The quality seems adequate, and I don't see this falling apart anytime soon. So far, it holds up to normal driving scenarios and doesn't move at all on the dashboard. She has a saturn, which has a large dome over the steering wheel, so I molded this to fit in the corner of the dome where it meets the flat dash, otherwise it would be too far away. It keeps its shape and stays in place, so I couldn't ask for much more than that. Definitely a good buy!

I was skeptic when I got this product because it has smaller base than the original one from Garmin. However, It works perfectly fine( I've been using it for a month). My dashboard is curvy and I am a rough driver. So far it hasn't budge even on the sharp turn. My suction mount pop-off constantly on the hot day. I haven't try this on a really hot day. Yet, I've been take it on and off to store it when I parked and It works great.

I love this GPS mount. It's moldable so it fits anywhere on the dash in any car. It doesn't leave any sort of residue on the surface. It doesn't move no matter how sharp a turn I take. I especially love that if I'm running in somewhere real quick, I can just thow the whole GPS and this mount into the console, out of sight, leaving no indication to potential GPS thiefs that there may be an expensive device in my car.

Works well for a friction dash mount. As well as my other bean bag style Garmin Portable Friction Mount. Not very flexible foot, can not snugly fit the contour of my Sienna dash board. But I can not find one that will fit snugly for grooves on the dashboard either.

I have an 09 Honda Odyssey which has a large dash. I did not want to use the suction type holders on the van because it would have been to far to reach to touch the screen because of the way the windshield and dash are designed. I also do not like cleaning the suction rings that get left behind on the inside of the windshield and did not want to pay the big bucks for a name brand dash pad so I bought this instead.



In two words: It works. It's not the prettiest thing or of the best quality but it does its job. The things I do not like about this mount is that the mount base (where it meets the rubber pad) is not secure. Sometimes I have to push it down to keep it flat because it'll pop up when I move or take the GPS off the ball hook. Also the rubber pad is too easily moldable. Some may like this but I do not. I want mines flat to fit my dash.

Was much less expensive than other similar items. Works great for me. Stays in place no matter what type of road and has left nothing on dash. Size is great when folded so have the mount and my GPS in a little zip case for easy storage. Very happy.

What can I say. IT is far better than the suction cup that you put on your windshield. YOu don't have to worry about it falling off while driving down the road. Which I consider a safety issue. This one or the one that is like a bean bag are the ones that should come with the garmin when you purchase it. They should do away with the suction cup. - Garmin - Friction Mount - Gps Mount - Garmin Nuvi'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information