Tuesday 6 September 2011

Refrigerator Water Filter - water filter, refrigerator filter


First, I saw that one reviewer has a problem with leaking filters when used in an older Frigidaire. I've had no such problem with the original filter and two replacements that I've installed. (And yuck! to see what those filters have removed from the city water!) So, maybe higher than normal water pressure is the problem and could possibly be regulated. Just a thought.



My Rating:

The filters are 5-star performers but even at Amazon's lower price, I still consider them "pricey", so I dropped a star.



My Tip:

I kept my last filter in until performance (delivered water flow rate) had diminished considerably. It was sort of an experiment in economy. I was surprised when my ice maker started to jam with the under-sized "cubes" (they are actually shaped like half of a large thick coin) resulting from the slower water flow through the old filter. One or more of the ice ejector cogs would get jammed with one of the "runt" cubes. What obviously happens is that the water fill operation is controlled entirely by a timer, so reduced flow results in less water delivered to the tray cavities. The cycle continues and results in small cubes of ice for which the ejectors are not designed.



So my tip is that if you try to extend the life of the filter by accepting the slower water delivery rate, pay attention to the size of the ice cubes. When they are reduced to about two-thirds normal size, the ice maker is likely to become jammed. It's easy to see the problem after removing the cover from the ice maker, but the only solution is to install a new filter. Once I cleared the jam easily by hand but had to (carefully) use an ice pick the next time - and then immediately installed a new filter!



Regards,

EdB

This filter is for my Frigidaire Side-by-side, 26.0 cu ft, Stainless Steel refrigerator. Model # FRS6LF7JS0, S/N: 4A81707239. Manufactured April 2008.



I first operated the water dispenser on 08JULY08. After the RED light came on to change the filter, I kept putting it off...over and over until I became accustomed to seeing the pretty RED light. It complemented the GREEN ice dispenser light very well, especially during the winter holidays.



I finally purchased the replacement filter and replaced it on 14MAY10...yes, that's right, 22 months of filtering and at least 13 months overdue for a change. The filter, being see-through, allowed me to see the bits (albeit small) of debris that floated about when I shook the old filter. It was something of a gagging effect I experienced in my thoughts. I should have changed the filter a lot sooner was the thought thereafter.



The point I wanted to single out is that even though the filter would definitely not pass a health inspection, the water that came out through it was relatively clear...I mean it! I would have never known that the filter was mucked-up had it not been for the RED "change me now!" light. Therefore, this filter is a very good filter.



However, the manufacturer states that this filter is to be replaced after 6-9 months of use or after a flow of 400 US Gallons, whichever comes first. I am assuming that the RED "change me now!" light is initiated by the filter backing up (Differential Pressure a.k.a. Delta-P), if not by this means, then perhaps by a flow meter? Whichever it may be, change your filter when the manufacturer says so. The price is high per unit, but if you were to change the filter out every 6 months, the price per day is approximately $0.19 (approximately $0.13 if every 9 months).



After you install the new filter, the manufacturer says to run water through the filter for 3 minutes. This will cycle out the air in the new filter and kind of give it a rinse at the same time. The water, at first, will come out somewhat like heavily diluted milk, due to the teeny-tiny air bubbles making their way out.



Don't forget to reset your RED filter light (if you have one)!

The PureSurse2 started to leak after 3-months in use. As mentioned in other reviews, my previous PureSourse2 had a plastic shield over the two nipples that plugs into filter compartment. This model does not have the shields and I believe as a result over time, pressure builds up and gradually loosens the connection resulting in the leak. I believe that the maunufacture changed the design as a way to save costs during the maunufacturing. As a result this new design leaks to happen easier.

I bought my Frigidaire SS refrigerator in 2006. It worked great and I usually left the Puresource2 water filter in for 9-12 months between changes. This year the water filter leaks large amounts of water directly from the filter whenever you use the water on the outside of the freezer door. I've replaced this expensive filter every 90-120 days this year. Apparently it's a pretty common problem and the information I've found is that Frigidaire redesigned this filter 2 years ago and now it leaks. Guess they weren't making enough money with a product that worked the way it was supposed to. - Fridge Filter - Refrigerator Water Filter - Refrigerator Filter - Water Filter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information