Friday 2 September 2011

Routers - best router, cisco


Setting up this router using the included software (Cisco Connect) was a breeze. Within 20 minutes, I installed Cisco Connect, named my network, set my password, secured my network and connected my desktop (hardwired), wireless laptop and bluray player. Setup was a breeze.



The E2500 replaces my Refurbished Linksys WRT160N, which stopped working less than a year after I bought it. That was difficult to use from the start(btw, dd-wrt didn't fix the problem).



The E2500 is lightening fast. I tested streaming video and it worked great wirelessly on my laptop and bluray player all over my house. I recommend using the Easy Setup Key via Cisco Connect to connect a laptop, it was a breeze to use. You can have a Guest Network that has a separate password and doesn't allow guests access to certain files on the network. This is easy to setup via Cisco Connect and easy to turn off or on. Using Cisco Connect can replace going to the web-based router setup browser page for all of the basic setup needs and more.



The unit runs hot, but dint burn a whole in surface its on. There are no lights on the face of the router like prior model designs. The E2500 looks much sleeker.



So the router is FAST, was EASY TO INSTALL and I had 3 devices CONNECTED WITHIN 20 MINUTES. Linksys E2500 Advanced Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router

Did extensive speed and ping tests definitely faster and more stable with this router. I still lose Mbps through walls in my apartment. Even with my older WRT54G2 router in same room I couldn't get similar speeds over wi-fi as hardwired, this router does it with ease. Set up was super easy took me less than 5 min. Overall, the router is great for what you pay for, if you have never owned the N model it's an alternative.



Pros:



- speedy, leaves WRT54G2 way behind



- easier Set-up interface over previous Linksys model



- new matte surface, looks nice next to the PS3 slim



- no annoying flashing lights



- friendly with Docsis 3 modem



- no unexpected signal drops ( note: need more time to fully evaluate}



Cons:



- speed slightly degrades through walls not as severe as before with the G model.

Got this to replace my ailing wrt54g. It was eating my mbps from about 18 down to 1. Setup is nice and easy. I was able to setup and use the included software (Cisco Connect) using Mac OSX 10.4. That OS is not listed as supported, but I haven't seen any issues yet.

Let me begin by pointing out that I just purchased this yesterday, so I can't comment on the long-term reliability of this router. That being said, I had to post a review given that I'm very satisfied with the process thus far. I'll update this as time progresses.



This router was a replacement for my old WRT54G that served me well for about four years, but was acting up (dropping signal, slow connections, low range, etc). So I decided to purchase this model (E2500 as a replacement).



The whole time before this new router arrived I was dreading the prospect of setting it up given my experience with my old WRT54G router. As soon as it arrived, I followed the instructions in the packaging and then put the CD into my macbook to launch the installer. The installer itself simply involved pressing a few buttons and then it did the rest! My network was up and running in about five minutes- with the installer doing all the work for me.



What I did notice was that the installer created a guest account that wasn't protected like the main one. This concerned me, so I logged-in to the advanced settings using the router's IP address at 192.168.1.1 using my browser (you should preferably use the computer you used to setup the network because it's already connected to the network). I think the default is to leave the login name blank and to use your default network password as your login password. Once I was inside, I disabled the guest account, but it turned out that there was a password in place- it's just that it's browser-based apparently (your guests will be able to login to the network itself, but will only be able to access the internet by typing in the password in the browser). So if you want to leave the guest access available, simply write down the default password that shows up on-screen or setup a new one. I also changed the default password used to login to my router in here as well (under the "administration tab"). So, to clarify, the 192.168.1.1 address brings up a menu where you can modify your router's default settings to your liking. I think this was a criticism of the "easy" setup- that it doesn't let you customize your router. I actually see this process in reverse- the "easy" setup configures your router to work properly given your circumstances. Once it's setup, you can modify whatever parts of the setup that you want to. In my case, I only modified the router password, guest access, and my network key.



Once it was setup to my specifications, I proceeded to update all of my computers with the new network key. I also connected all my other devices to the back of the router (there are four slots).



In regards to performance- my macbook that wasn't getting a signal with my old router works perfectly now. That being said, it's a new macbook, so it's able to utilize the "n" band. My sister has a 2006 white macbook next door that only utilizes G though- she's having no problems either.



Overall, I'm happy i made this purchase and highly recommend it to others. I don't own any other n-routers, so I can't comment on how much "better" this is relative to others. I can only say that I'm happy I made the right choice with this one. I'll make sure to update this review should issues with reliability surface.



EDIT: You actually don't have to login to the router's IP address to access the features I mentioned above. You can simply use the "Cisco Connect" software that came with it. The only issue I can think of is that if you use this software, you can only run it through the computer you setup the router with. The IP method above will work from any computer connected to the network (after logging in with password). The con of the IP method is that it's not as "user friendly" as the "Cisco Connect" method. Ultimately, you should weigh the pros and cons yourself and decide which is best for managing your router. I'll be choosing the "Cisco Connect" method in the meantime just because it's easier to use, but I'll go back to the IP method should anything happen to my computer (where the Cisco software is installed). - Router - Cisco - Linksys - Best Router'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information