Friday 16 September 2011

Swimming - goggle, goggles


I started swimming about 6 months ago to get in shape. Pool chlorine really bothers my eyes; even a little exposure will cause hours of discomfort. I tried 10 or 12 different goggles in a variety of sizes and styles. For my face, the Hydrospex is the most effective. It keeps ANY water from reaching my eyes - all of the others leaked to some degree, regardless of price or configuration. My 10-year-old swam competitively this summer, and she also tried quite a few alternatives before settling on the Hydrospex Jr.

These Speedo goggles have stood up to 5-7 swims per week for 5 months now with no signs of wear. The headband stays adjusted, the gaskets form a great seal around the eyes, and the anti-fog feature is a nice benefit. I've dropped them in the parking lot, and they ride around in my workout bag continuously, as I swim at different locations on different days, but they still look new. I've bought a 2nd set in case I ever manage to lose or break these - I don't want to be without them!

Just a note - some of the other goggles that I tried were also Speedos, and others were also respected brands, but the Hydrospex are by far the best fit for my personal facial shape. Be aware when selecting goggles that each design will fit people differently. It doesn't make a particular brand or model "good" or "bad", it's just what works for an individual. Shop around and try different styles until you find what works for you . Once you find the right fit, you should experience no leakage or discomfort. For me, the Hydrospex are just the right ones. Speedo Hydrospex Swim Goggle (Clear/Clear)

Careful if they are not adjusted correct the lens will appear to double the image under water. The nose bridge is not adjustable so if your head is very small or very large you could have double vision with these. If so look for a goggle with an adjustable nose bridge. I had trouble at first but when I got it adjusted correctly it was ok. Quite good, clear vision and no leaks.

Revised:

I gave these goggles 3 stars before, but I'll change it to 4 now if I can.

If what you need is to keep the water out of your eyes for recreational swimming and playing, these goggles are a good choice. Another reviewer said they were very good at keeping the water out at first, but after a few uses, they may leak; originally I had agreed. I've changed my mind because the leaking may be operator error. After using them for awhile, I forgot to put on the straps as recommended by the packaging. If you do it correctly, and you shouldn't have the problem I had which was - by the time I'd get from one end of any pool to the other, I'd generally (not always) have to lift them up to drain them out. Swimming laps, this was annoying. Then I remembered the detail about how to put those straps on right. They may steam up, but the leaking will be minimal, if I get any at all.

I wear goggles, not so much so I can see underwater, as to protect my eyes from water-gunk and from the burning sensation of chemicals. They're and worth the $5.00 I spent for them on sale at a department store. I'm not sure I'd want to pay Amazon's price + shipping and handling.

I used to be a fan of these goggles and used them for several years with a level of satisfaction that would have earned them at least a four-star rating. However, after purchasing a new pair recently, I've had nothing but problems. No matter how I adjust the fit, I get incredible leaks after only 25m. It's a shame because I really do like the clarity of the lenses and how bright and crisp everything appears through them. Obviously, though, when you're not able to get an effective workout for having to empty your goggles every 100m (if you're lucky), nice lenses are hardly worth having. I won't be spending my money on another pair of these again.

Pros:



They have a solid nose piece.

They act as sunglasses.

They are comfortable.

They barely leak at all.

They form a great seal.



Cons:



The anti-fog coating wears off after about two weeks.

They are a little hard to adjust.

I guess goggles is one of those things that either works for you or it doesn't. Most of Speedo's goggles have great reviews so I wasn't sure which ones would work for me. Ordered the oversized Baja model which wasn't up to the mark for me because it hurt after wearing it for some time. Replaced them with these Hydrospex goggles and these are PERFECT! Very comfortable to wear, keep the water out completely, do not get foggy (I ordered the black ones), and do not hurt at all.

These goggles are great! I just took up swimming and my husband recommended this kind with the hard piece between the lenses and they are great! Never fog up and never leak - nice snug fit. I love them! - Speedo - Goggles - Goggle - Swimming'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information