Friday 9 September 2011

Water Cooler - igloo, beer


I have been on a mission to find a cooler that does not leak. After purchasing 2 coolers within a month's time, both different brands, I decided to try my luck with the Igloo. It's terrible. The lid does not screw on, it's a pressure fit. I knew this when I bought it. The carry-handle helps to keep the lid in place. Although there is no problem with the lid coming off, it leaks everywhere around the rim when you transport it. I found this out the hard way when I filled it with Kool-Aid and ended up with a car mat soaked with red KoolAid! This is by far the worst of the 3 coolers that I have tried. The first one was a 2 gallon Rubbermaid (leaks around the rim) and the second was a 2 gallon stackable Coleman cooler (leaks around spout). If anybody can recommend a cooler that does NOT leak, I'm all ears! Igloo 431 3 Gallon Beverage Cooler

Just the right size for a small weekend trip, but the lid isn't secure, it just pushes on and can pull off or fall off if the thing gets knocked over. We like it though, but ended up taping the lid on so it doesn't fall off if we knock the cooler over.

This is a great little cooler. I have used it for a 10 person team in a hot climate. I fill it completely with ice and then fill it with water. It will keep ice water for two whole days and even a little into the third day then I need to start over. The lid does not screw on it is pressure fit. Don't forget to order a paper cup holder if you are using it as I am for a crew. There is a holder grip on the side but the cups and holders are sold separately. Highly recommended.

I bought this item because the 3 gallon is so much easier to handle than the 5 gallon, and the 5 gallon was all I could find locally. This is great for camping, which is why I bought it. It has come in handy for gatherings at home as well.

I want to have good drinking water at the campgrounds I visit locally and absolutely refuse to purchase bottled water. Campground water is typically potable, but I often don't like the taste and simply prefer water as a beverage over other options that take up room in my cooler. Since many road crews use these I knew it had to be a solid, sturdy product that would maintain cold water and remain durable if handled with care. It's more expensive than one you can buy at a large chain store, but those can't even begin to compare to this product in those same categories. You get what you pay for - this is a prime example.



I use water from my Brita to fill this and also make 8 sizeable blocks of Brita ice from the disposable plastic containers that lunch meats come in. I took it on a 3 night trip recently and the blocks of ice were still nearly 1/2 intact at the end of the trip. I will fairly state though that the weather was a bit cooler than normal for the season and my campsite had complete shade. As far as it being in a warmer environment for a 3 night trip I doubt the ice blocks would still be maintained, but am reasonably sure that the water would remain at least on the cooler side if kept out of the sun as much as possible. If being used for a day trip on a very hot day you'd be fine with having the water ice cold all day with already cold water going into it with a few ice blocks. I have a hitch mounted bike rack on my Jeep and when the bikes were removed it made a dandy place to hang it so that it could be easily accessed.



If you are planning on using a full 3 gallons in this be absolutely sure that it is placed on a completely level surface while in transport. I had mine slightly leaned back on top of a plastic tote on my front seat and it started to spill out of the top a bit. Thankfully I had only gone a few feet from my home when I discovered the problem. Once leveled out evenly I had no further problems. The lid does not screw on (which likely caused the leakage I experienced since it was leaning back a bit), but does stay securely in place with the white handle. My only regret about this product is that I didn't purchase it a few years back.

Really works great and is durable. I am a soccer coach and I use this all the time. The only flaw is that the lid is not tight and it sloshes and leaks in the car. Also, almost everyone tries to pick it up by the red handle and it spills (you have to use the white handle to carry. But all-in-all a very good product.

This is a great cooler for making Kool-aid or Lemonade in the summer time (or any time for that matter) we have 3 boys who are constantly wanting something to drink and this cooler keeps whatever we put in it, COLD. Its great to take to the beach or to the park for picmic's too! the lid does not screw on, it presses on, but that has not been a problem and it has never opened accidently. This is a high grade cooler made with premium materials, we really like how well the spout works. There is a great handle for carrying this to the car, or picnic table or beach. I couldint imagine having any other beverage cooler after owning this one! Holds lots and lots of ice and keeps everything ice cold! enjoy!!!

This 3 gallon Igloo cooler is awesome. At 3 gallons it is not too big. Great for our baseball team. The cooler is short with a wide base, so it does not tip over in the car on the way to practice or games. It is super tough and made to last. I looked at a made in China cooler by Gatoraid that was 50% more expensive because of the "Gatoraid" logo. - The Igloo cooler is made in USA. I trust the USA plastic. Plastic from China could possibly leach chemicals into me and the kids. Better safe than sorry. - Hiking - Camping - Beer - Igloo'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information