Sunday 25 September 2011

Water Recreation - inflatable boats, boating


Obviously the designers did not build this for whitewater, but if it can hold up to that - for the price, it is outstanding. We had it loaded with camping gear, food, and three people for 4 days, and it didn't even loose air. It will sit three comfortably. 5 is a stretch unless you are VERY comfortable with each other. Weight is no issue. This boat was filled to the brim with water several times and still skidded through shallow water. A pit stop to let the water out and we were cruising again. At one point, the raft was lashed against a rock and turned into the shape of a taco by the raging waters. I was sure it would break, but it didn't!

pros:

*The oars come in 4 parts that snap and screw together. Assembly is easy. The oar locks work well and allow one person to use two oars.

*The seats are comfy. They inflate and latch into the raft.

*It comes with a patch kit, but I doubt you will need it.

*Three air chambers make it sturdy. We could pump it up in less than an hour.

cons:

*No quick release on the bottom air chamber.

*1/4 inch rope is a tad too thin. Buy some 3/8 inch if you want to secure it.

*Only two oars. Intex Excursion 5 Boat Set

Note that I haven't used the boat yet in the water, we will be using it the following weekend and I will update my review in a couple of weeks after we actually use it. But I wanted to rant and rave about the boat nevertheless since it didn't have any other reviews, so I was a bit hesitant about ordering it. DON'T BE.



This boat is excellent quality, the plastic is very thick and durable looking, and it has excellent features to it. First off, the thing is HUGE. It measures 12' by 5' approximately, and it has PLENTY of room for four adults, or like us, 2 adults and 5 little ones. The weight limit is high as well, I've seen it listed at 880 pounds but it says 1000 on the box. It has easy instructions in spite of all the bells and whistles it has. I highly suggest ordering a Coleman quick-pump to pump it up, it is well worth it and I can't imagine blowing it up with the pump they provide, this thing TAKES A LOT OF AIR. Paddles are excellent quality, unlike cheaper brands that have complaints against the paddles.



Note that there is a LITTLE plastic ruler in the package somewhere that you use to put the correct amount of air in the boat. Keep an eye out for it, we lost it initially until the I discovered the toddler had found a new toy!! LOL It works perfectly, you set it on the same ruler on the boat and blow it up until the measurements match. Little features like this that make it easy for non-boaters to figure out are really what makes this boat wonderful. It has 4 areas to put your fishing pole in, paddles can be one double or you can make them into two smaller ones and have nice, long "paddles" on the end.



All in all, the boat looks wonderful and was easy to set up with the simple directions they provide. I highly recommend it at this point, but will update after we actually use it in the water. I believe this will boat will last us a LONG time in the water with proper care, and for the price of less than 150, can you really beat it? Only thing I would add to the set would be an additional paddle set, since the boat is large and it does have two oar holders, I recommend another set.



************

Update: After using this boat on the Buffalo National River, I have to say that we REALLY liked it. It would be near impossible to flip it in calm waters, there is lots of room, the oars work wonderfully and are easy, it is tough plastic and stood up to our scraping on rocks and gravel easily with no wear, etc... What more can I say? It's everything I expected it to be after receiving it, and I am very pleased!! I was VERY happy with the fact that it would be hard for it to flip in the water as well, my hubby climbed in and out of the boat and it didn't even threaten to flip. So I highly recommend it!!

My wife and I purchased this after a lot of research and we have had no regrets. It is quite spacious (we loaded it with 3 adults and gear) and extremely durable, with no experiences of air loss despite hours on the water. We also purchased the motor mount and a Minnkota motor along with a deep cycle battery for leisurely stretches (do NOT get the battery that you can purchase in combo with this - you'll need at least a 75 amp hour rechargeable battery). We have had ours on lakes, rivers as well as to the beach. So convenient and rugged. Its great to purchase something and be so pleased with the results on all points. (Note!!! - if you take this out with a motor you WILL need to register it and display the registration on the side of the boat!!!)

I debated long and hard between getting the Excursion 5 and the Seahawk II. I wanted a boat that I could immediately take out and go rowing, but one that is durable (sometimes there are branches sticking up in the shallow river here) and comfortable. I also wanted to get a boat that I could eventually mount a motor on in the future.



After reading tons of reviews -- and going to the Intex website and other forums -- I bought the Excursion 5 because some forums said the Seahawk II doesn't have motor mount points (this is not true) and some people on here commented that the Excursion 5 is made out of the same "Super-Tough" material as the Seahawk II (this is also not true, but it's very confusing and even the Intex website doesn't make it clear. The Seahawk II is more rigid, can be inflated to higher pressure, and is more puncture-resistant because it is actually a 3-ply system including Super-Tough PVC OVER a nylon fabric layer)



As soon as the Excursion 5 arrived, I realized I had bought the wrong boat for rowing my girlfriend and I around. The boat is too wide and oars too short to really reach into the water well, and the oar locks are fixed in place -- not rotational like the Seahawk II. These two factors make the boat nearly impossible to row.



I immediately ordered the Seahawk II and have taken it out and it is great to row around in (comfy for 2 people, I don't see how you could fit 3.) I thought about what to do with the Excursion 5, and I've decided to keep it because it is a bigger boat and seems like it could be fun to take a larger group (up to 4) people out on it, once I get a motor and mount.



So I want to set the record straight if you are debating between these boats like I was:

1) The Seahawk II is more rigid and durable than any other Intex boats except the Mariner. The Excursion 5 vinyl is nice and thick, but it's still soft and I am still concerned it could rupture if I hit a branch or rock the wrong way.

2) Many of the Intex boats have motor mount setup, including the Seahawk II -- the Excursion 5 can only support up to 1.5 hp because it is not as rigid (the Seahawk II is rated up to 2 hp and Mariner up to 3 hp)

3) The Excursion 5 is a bit bigger, so if you need to fit 3 or more people, it might be the boat for you.

4) Don't expect to go rowing in the Excursion 5. Get a narrower boat, preferably with rotational/swivel oar locks. Maybe if you had 4 people paddling (with an extra set of oars) the Excursion might work okay. - Intex - Inflatable Boats - Water Recreation - Boating'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information