Sunday 11 September 2011

Elliptical Machine - elliptical, schwinn


This is one great machine. It is very smooth,very stable and extremely well built. It took me a little over two hours to assemble and the assembly directions are very clear and well labeled with one exception. In the assembly directions, it calls for six #B screws when it is obvious they meant #A screws because they were the only ones left in the assembly process. I was worried that I would not be able to assemble it without help but had no trouble assembling it myself. For the money, I don't believe you could get any better quality even in a more expensive machine. I have very bad knees but this workout actually helps them and gives me an excellent full body workout. I recommend the Schwinn A40 to anyone. Schwinn A40 Elliptical Trainer

I'm quite happy with this machine and have already made significant strides toward my New Year's resolution of working out more often. Some notes:



- It does have a short stride length. I'm 5'3" and I actually wouldn't mind a longer stride length, but am okay with this one. People with longer legs may find themselves a bit cramped.



- The console is bare-bones. I find it difficult to read in low light, and have sometimes thought I set up a program only to discover after my 30-minute workout that it's still waiting for me to press the start button after having input all of the settings.



- The built-in reading ledge is actually perfect as a perch for my 10" netbook. I've happily watched Netflix episodes while exercising away. I don't think I could read a physical book, because there's no lip to the ledge and I'd have to hold the pages spread open, but magazines should be fine.



- I go barefoot inside my home, but can't get away with it on this machine, as there are significant indents on the steps. I ended up getting a pair of Vibram Performa shoes to get a close-to-barefoot feel without causing deep creases in my soles.



- When I'm at a running pace, the machine still feels stable but I can tell it's noticing the larger shifts in balance. I'm about 120 pounds; if you're significantly heavier, you may find it to be a bit more precarious for higher speeds.



- I can actually grab the back handle/base, lift (which tilts the machine), and pull this around without throwing out my back or anything like that, so if you do need an elliptical that you can move (short, non-vertical distances) around your house, this one may work well for you.



- It does run on batteries, but you can buy an AC adapter from the manufacturer's website.



I purchased this from a local store and had it delivered pre-assembled, so I can't comment on that aspect.



Overall, I'm quite satisfied. I wouldn't suggest it for serious runners looking for an indoor alternative, but if you just want something relatively inexpensive and don't need fancy features, this should fit the bill.

The trainer came pretty fast, but unfortunately, one part was distored. First I contact the company. It was a terribile experience, because they didn't have any parts available for replacement, cuz it's a new model. I called three times, the wainting period starts from one week to threee months. Each time, you got a different answer. The last time, they told me that You had to wait for 2-3 months for shipping from other countries.



Finellay, I called amazon, they replace the whole unit without any delay. Perfect! Amazong's customer service is far much more better that Schwinn fitness.



I'm 5'6", the stride is too short for me. I get used to those gym models with 24"stride,they burn more calories than this model. And I doubt the accuracy of the calories counter of this model.

works good, display is a little dim, wanted to opt for the ac adapter, tried to go to there website that was supposed to have the adapter, does not exist, I found a 9 volt dc transformer and made a connector for it because I did not want to mess with batteries, overall great product

I am a 22 year old small female, 5'4'' and 114lbs and I put this together my self in a little over an hour. Very simple! ( The hardest part was getting it out of the box, should have seen me on the floor both feet on the ends of the box trying to pull it out!) It weighs only a couple pounds less than me.



PRO's- Stable, not too space consuming, and a great workout.



CON's- Just for looks fan, barley puts any air out, Pulse grips are incorrect, and frame was a bit bent when received.



All in all I would buy this machine again for the price.

OK, to begin, I am commenting after only using the Schwinn A40 a few times so time will tell as to whether it still gets a positive rating from me, especially as to how the console holds up.



First, the order/set up. I bought this on Amazon using Prime and had it in two days....sweet! I took everything out of the box and checked to ensure all was there....which it was. The parts are easy to identify and marked either "R" or "L" which really helps on assembly and the directions are easy to understand as well. The hardware (screws, bolts, washers, etc.) comes on a cardboard sheet with each item lettered (A-B-C, etc.)and a drawn image of the item underneath. This is handy should you mix any up and in my case saved me time from a factory mistake. Somehow the metal Ex4 washers were put where the plastic Px4 washers were and vice-versa. At first I thought that the factory had not included the Ex4's but a quick comparison to the drawings answered that question.



The actual assembly was a breeze albeit around two hours as most reviewers have mentioned. It is a one person job although putting on the foot pedals is a lot easier with two. The fact there are two wheels on the front made it easy to move from the open area I assembled on to the room where it was to be used. Lift and push/pull is a lot easier than having to pick the trainer up; a definite two person job.



In my case I put the trainer on a carpet because that is where I need it. I thought from some of the other comments this might be a problem but it wasn't. The trainer is solid when you're using it, no wobble, and I didn't even have to adjust the feet for stability.



Second, are the accessories starting with the console. I took the advice of a previous reviewer and used an AC adapter that I had lying around instead of batteries. It works like a charm and I would suggest you not buy one from Schwinn; the can found for a far cheaper price at dozens of places.

Regarding the LED on the console it got a lot of negatives from other reviewers and after using it I see why.



The "readabilty" factor is not the best due to small, non-bold fonts and no backlight. Unless you have a good deal of light and a good pair of reading glasses (for some of us) it is difficult to make out many of the read-outs. Schwinn could dramatically boost the reviews on this trainer by making a more user-friendly console. That said, the built in programs themselves are more than adequate for our needs.



My last comment about the console deals with the heart monitor. It works by holding your hands around the sensors, a pair on each side of the console. When exercising I found it to be cumbersome trying to get the right grip on the monitors and getting close enough to read it while still pedaling. Schwinn should put these on the handles so you don't need to break stride just to see how your heart is doing.



Finally, the performance. I was somewhat concerned about the reviews as to the stability/performance factors some reviewers complained were poor due to their own height and weight. However, after using the trainer I can safely say it works for me.

I am a male, 5-11, 185 pounds, and the trainer handled my usage without any problems at all. The stride is just about right and the "flow" (arm movement with leg motion) suits me fine. Of course, like any new piece of exercise equipment, you need to get the "feel" of your machine and the A40 is no different. This is especially true if you have never owned an elliptical. (Think "patting your head while rubbing your belly" awkwardness at first)



As for the workout itself it is perfect for what I want: to build up cardio-vascular strength and lose a few pounds at the same time. The first program in the A40 is "Course 1" which, even after setting the minutes to only 10 and level to its lowest setting you are feeling the effects out the gate. For me that says I have a lot of latitude to increase the duration/difficulty of my exercising.



Overall, after a ton of research on these ellipticals I settled on the Schwinn A40 and so far am glad I did. For me it seems a solid machine, developed in mind for those who don't want to hassle driving to the gym, but do want a challenging workout out home. - Elliptical - Schwinn - Exercise - Affordable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information