Friday 2 September 2011

Laptop Cooling - laptop accessories, notebook cooler


I purchased this (sadly the day before the price dropped) after searching hundreds of other laptop coolers. The mass majority of the coolers availible are only practical on desktop/tabletop flat surfaces. This one was pitched to be comfortable using in your lap as well.



I used this bad boy right out of the box plugging it into the back of my Toshiba Qosmio F55-Q04. I love the Toshiba, but the clocking of it has the internal fan running full blast 99% of the time. The heat out put coming out of the back of the unit could pop corn.



So, plugging this laptop cooler into it and sitting it on my lap I found it rested well with the one big fan between my legs. I set the fan speed to low and began loading programs and downloading software while site surfing and chatting as well as playing some games.



Only one time did the Toshiba's fan even kick in...and then only for a second. I cannot recomend this enough.



It would be perfect if it had USB Port hub, perhaps the folks at Antec will take this into consideration on their future productions.



It has an illuminated LED light(s) around the fan which appear cool. That can also be turned off and on.



Pros: Packaged nicely. Sturdy construction. Super quiet fan. Comfortable in lap.



Con: No USB port hub. So if you do not have the extra port to plug this in, you will be limited. Antec Unbeatable Notebook Cooler 200

sends plenty of cool air towards the bottom of my macbook. the internal temp isn't affected much, but I use smcFancontrol for that. it does make a big difference in the external temp, though--it keeps the bottom of my macbook cool and since it is raised it has good air flow. if any of you own a macbook, you know how hot the bottom of the laptop can get, and this fan helps keep it cool. actually, after running an internal temp test with and without the cooler, it did cool about 3-6 degrees, which is pretty substantial for a macbook. also, the stand has "handlebars" on the sides so it makes it easy to pick up and move to a different desk or place in your lap. I don't consider this a portable cooler though, but it does work very nicely at home.

I looked at notebook coolers for awhile. I decided on this one after lots of research. I love this thing! It is quiet and does a excellent job of keeping the computer cool. The computer fan was on high all the time and now it is hardly ever on, even when it does kick on I just turn up the notebook cooler to high and it does the trick. I would say this will extend the life of my notebook which was so hot at times. It is a great product.

INTRODUCTION



I received the Antec Unbeatable Notebook Cooler 200 today, and as intended, I first ran an analysis of its efficiency. One will notice that there are no claims by the manufacturers, whatsoever, as what to expect in heat reduction. I was hoping for at least a 15-20 degree drop.



NOTEBOOK COOLERS?



All these manufacturers seem to get away with calling these "coolers." None that I know of have any cooling capability ... it's a fan, and a fan only moves air. An air conditioner cools, but not a fan. A fan can make our bodies feel cool, but that's because our bodies have our own internal air conditioners ... perspiration.



I see a lot of satisfied customers with positives reviews, but no where did I see results of any testing.



HARDWARE USED IN TESTING



MacBook Pro 17" (July 09)

4 GB memory

500 GB 7200 RPM drive

I also utilized iStat Server, which sends very detailed internal information to an iPhone or iPod Touch.



CONSISTENT HEAT LEVEL



I pushed the processor to the max, as well as the drive, by upscaling two movies, simultaneously, in QuickTime, while another movie played in Quicktime on a second display, a 42'' HDTV plugged into the MacBook Pro. This MacBook Pro has two graphics cards, one for regular use, and a second, high-performance one. I used the high-performance one due to the second display ... it also increases performance ... and heat.



TEST PARAMETERS SUMMARY



*OAK TABLE, 20-25 min ... The MacBook Pro laid flat on the oak table I use. I monitored the internals.



*ANTEC 200 w/FAN on HIGH, 30-40 min ... I slipped the Antec Notebook 'Fan' underneath my MacBook Pro, plugged in the USB, and switched the fan to high (low was never tested). The first thing I was pleased to note was the lack of fan noise, which is why I bought this model. Small fans make more noise. I monitored the internals with all the exact same processes running.



*ANTEC 200 w/FAN OFF, 20-25 min: After that, I left the notebook on the stand, but unplugged the fan.



*TWO LITTLE BOXES, 20-25 min ... I finished by placing the MacBook Pro on the two little boxes I've been using to provide an air space.



===



TEST RESULTS: The temperatures ranged from 193-201 degrees, NO MATTER WHICH SET-UP WAS IN USE. The temps stayed in the same range. The ANTEC provided NO noticeable drop in temperature.



CONCLUSION: The Antec Unbeatable Notebook Cooler 200 *DOES NOT* cool a laptop. Setting the MacBook Pro on two little, albeit free, cardboard boxes performed just as well.



** This one is getting RETURNED. I consider it a total rip-off.



If you'd like, view some of the iStat reports here ... [...]

And in the customer's video, he points out the little piece of plastic being moved by the fan. Mine does that, too, but that's it.



=====



After I removed it from beneath my notebook, one of its flaws became quite apparent. Even with the fan on high, it was moving so little air, that it was difficult at first to determine if it was pulling air down, or pushing it up (it does push it). I laid a piece of plastic on it, the plastic that I had taken off the box it came in, and that plastic just sat on top of the fan, without moving ... while the fan was on high.



Of course, it does have a blue light ... if that's worth the money to you. - Laptop Fan - Laptop Accessories - Notebook Cooler - Laptop Cooling'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information