Sunday 4 September 2011

Little Big Planet - little big planet, video games


From all the reviews I've read before purchasing this game I was a little skeptical that it wouldn't be for me. I was wrong. Matter fact I purchased it for my 5 year old boy first, just to keep him away from some of my other games while I'm at work. And you know what? This game stays in the PS3 all day. Not only that, when I get home from work the first thing he wants to do is play Little BIG planet. Its fun for me and him. I was hoping for simplified controls like a Mario plat former with just a jump button. But he's figured out how to use the Dual Shock 3 just as good as me. With the main buttons, X to jump and R1 to grab things, it couldn't be any easier. He also knows how to change their clothes and apply stickers and so on. This game is simple, plain and easy. The only problem he may have is figuring out that the game has some physics involved. Running faster to get further jumps, holding the jump button longer, how to jump on springs like objects to get higher takes a little timing that I even have trouble with. This game has plenty of levels, I play maybe an hour a day since I bought it and still have not finished everything. You can also make your own levels, download levels that others have created online, and play with people online. This game has infinite replay if you get into the community. Also, If you want to teach a child how to be greedy with items than this game is for you. I forgot to say that this game is fun for me too. Glad purchased it and you'll be too. One if the few must own exclusives for the PS3, this is coming from a 360 lover. LittleBigPlanet - Game of the Year Edition Playstation 3

I bought this game because it looked like something my wife and I could enjoy together. The first game we'd gotten for the PS3, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, hadn't really appealed to her. And I wanted to get something we'd both like.



At its core, LittleBigPlanet is just another platforming game in the long line going back to the early Mario Bros. games. The gameplay is good, but nothing radically different from earlier platforming games. But there are several things that take LBP from good to great:



i) The detailed artwork and music - The visuals and music on the story levels are fantastic. Each level has a recognizable look and feel that is designed to evoke a particular mood. The music is catchy and adds another level to the game.



ii) Sackboy personalization - As silly as it sounds, the ability to change the sackboy's outfit, skin, and accessories makes the game a lot more fun. This ability, combined with the fact that additional personalization options open up throughout the game, means that you can spend a surprising amount of time dressing up (and re-dressing up) your sackboy.



iii) The community levels - I have been absolutely amazed at some of the levels that so-called amateurs put together. While some of the community levels are poorly conceived, there are incredible gems out there. Many of these levels are just as good as the story levels. If I had the time (and the skill) it would be a lot of fun to build my own level and share with the community.



This is a great game and I highly recommend it. We've gotten hours and hours worth of fun out of it.

BRIEF OUTLINE OF THE GOTY EDITION



Play, Create, Share - that's the LBP motto and, unlike most marketing empty slogans, Little Big Planet is more than up to the promise.



The Game of the Year edition includes all the paid content made available online since the initial release and more - see below:



- 18 user-created levels developed especially for the GOTY, good but not always up to the polish level of the professional levels

- 3 sticker packs - some paid for these to download, include here

- 16 new costumes - see above

- the complete Metal Gear Solid set of levels that includes trophy levels and never-seen-before weapons such as the Paintinator

- the key to access the online beta of ModNation Racers (after December 3, I believe)



All of this on top of what turned out to be an already incredible game that stimulates creativity, cooperation, curiosity and celebrates the players themselves, proud creators of over one million levels, published and accessible by all. I don't play the game so much but, when it comes to the kids, this is by far their number one game and they have quite a few to choose from already. They are proud of their creations and they seem to have what seems to be endless fun playing other people's levels online.







REVIEW



Since this is about the GOTY, I will not write a full review of the game itself. I understand that many are new to the Little Big Planet universe but, it turns out, great reviews of the original game have been written by others so simply click on LittleBigPlanet to get an idea of what the game is about. Suffice it to say here that LPB takes advantage of just about every feature and peripheral that the PS3 has or supports and its online interaction is simply unparalleled. For example, you can go to a friend's profile and not only play his or her levels but see what other players levels your buddy liked and get to try those out. Or, you can create some awesome weapons. You can include that weapon inside the prize bubble of a level you create and whomever plays your level can earn the object that you created and use it somewhere else - the fun is endless.







PERSONAL EXPERIENCE



Play, Create, Share - and, in our case, a lot more. I am not only a (casual) LBP player but also a parent and, to my delight and unlike what 'some' claim, this game has, in fact, made better, smarter kids. And I'm talking about my two boys. They took the 'create' part quite seriously and, after staging duels with custom-made awesome weapons, they began working on their own levels and, to my surprise, they actually asked me to help them learn computer programming - which we are doing now. And their grades have actually improved - the reason they are getting the GOTY is because they've done well in school so far this year.







EVALUATION AND RATING



If the 'regular' edition was a 5-star in my book, then add 50% to the initial evaluation. It's a definite 'must have'.



For anyone who doesn't own the original LBP, the GOTY is without a doubt the way to go. For owners of the original edition... I don't know if everybody does this but we were able to sell our 'used' (it was in mint condition, actually) copy of LBP for about half of the original price and we used the earnings to partially finance the purchase of the GOTY. - Video Games - Game Of The Year - Little Big Planet - Ps3 Game'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information