Tuesday 6 September 2011

Microsoft - microsoft, keyboard


There are 2 big draws to this product:



Firstly, Microsoft's name. They make great keyboards, and have for many years. Unfortunately, their products tend to be a bit more expensive than other brands, but I think the quality makes up the difference.



Secondly, the styling. This keyboard has a really classy style and contour. It reminds me of older ergonomic keyboard designs because of the curved layout, but it isn't trying to dramatically change the traditional layout. The translucent border around the keyboard's body is a very nice touch. It reminds me of the glass effect in Aero.



Facts about usage:

The keys have very quiet operation, and very short travel. They feel like a hybrid of traditional desktop and laptop designs. The added media keys around the border are very useful too.



My only gripe about the keyboard is that the F-key layout isn't traditional which makes me second-guess my finger placement when I want to press and F-key. I end up looking down. That's bad form. They layout they picked is more visually appealing and most users don't use the F-keys that much, but I do because I am an enthusiast.



9.5 / 10 Do not hesitate to buy this product. Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 6000 (Black)

I'm not asking for much from the keyboard industry. I just want the older standard layout in a wireless keyboard that I can use from 8 to 10 feet away. After buying this product, I am still searching.



I knew I'd be making a couple of compromises right away. While it has all the keys from the standard layout, the main group is curved in a mild attempt to be ergonomic. It doesn't really feel any more comfortable than a standard keyboard, and now the keys are different widths, making it harder to type. Also, the function keys are tiny and are marked with pictures. While the older F1 designations are printed above the keys, on the keyboard itself, they're printed in white on a light grey surface, making them very difficult to read. And then in a further attempt to make them even more unusable, they're also arrayed in a curved line and evenly spaced. No matter what you use the function keys for, you now have to look at them to figure out which one you want to press.



The real sticking point with me though is that the marketing claims this keyboard will work from 30 feet away. I suppose that Microsoft might mean "if you have the keyboard and the receiver directly pointed at one another with absolutely no obstructions, at 30 feet it might accept a keystroke every once in awhile." I don't need 30 feet, I only need 8. When plugging the receiver into the back of my computer, the keyboard only worked if I typed very slowly and holding a key down (eg: deleting) was right out. Frankly, this level of performance was not any better than the 6000v2 which used infrared technology. So I plugged it into the side port to give it better line of sight. The keyboard works considerably better now, though it does seem to miss a few keystrokes every once in awhile. I really don't understand why they can't get this right. My gyroscopic mouse would probably work from across the street.



I'll try using this keyboard for a few more days, but I expect I'll be returning it. The 6000v2 has a better key layout. And while the older model won't work from 8 feet away either, it has a dongle on a wire that I can stretch across the floor to shorten the length. I was really hoping this updated model would allow me to not have to do that anymore.

Usability and Ergonomics: 5 out of 5

The Microsoft 6000 Wireless keyboard is the most comfortable wireless keyboard to type on that I have tried to date. The gently curving key rows and low-profile, laptop-style keys making typing a breeze while increasing speed, accuracy, and comfort.



Construction and Design: 4 out of 5

The main deck of the keyboard is solidly constructed; there is no flex while typing. The extraneous keys (Home, Email, Quick-Launch, Volume controls, etc) feel cheap, however; some make a grinding or scraping sound when pressed, others occasionally stick. This applies only to the extraneous keys, not the standard keys. The trim around the edge of the keyboard is supposed to match the Aero Glass user interface in Windows Vista, but it looks like cheap, see-through plastic instead.



Battery Life: 3 out of 5

The battery life on this keyboard is very short in comparison with other wireless keyboards. Four different Logitech models I have owned each lasted between 6 months and 1 year on a single battery charge (all keyboards used several hours every day, 365 days per year). The Microsoft 6000 Wireless keyboard lasted slightly less than one month on a single battery charge.



Total Rating: 4 out of 5

The Microsoft 6000 Wireless Keyboard is hand down the best keyboard I have ever typed on, sticky volume keys, ugly border, and poor battery life aside. - Ergonomic - Ergonomic Keyboard - Keyboard - Microsoft'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information