Tuesday 20 September 2011

Motion Sensor Light - motion sensor, home security


Just added this to the bottom of our apartment's formerly unsafe and dark stairway. Powered by the 4 size C batteries, my only worry was whether this would sufficiently illuminate the section (the reason I ruled out a solar powered unit; these tend to put out as much light as a birthday candle). Initially tested the unit indoors and I was pleasantly surprised to see the LEDs put out a great deal of light...enough to read by. Installation is a breeze, the motion sensor is sensitive enough to turn on from about 6-8' away, and hopefully the light lives up to the 6-12 month battery replacement claims. Only negative is not specific to this unit, but of LED lighting technology: the lights are so cold blue, it sometimes looks like a new car headlight is shining downward. Wonder why manufacturers do not include a slightly warm-tinted clear film to alter the light's colour a bit. But overall, think this is a perfect renter's choice in adding some safety lighting outdoors. Fulcrum 20031-101 Motion Sensor LED Porch Light, Silver

I've had this a few months now and it's working perfectly. I have it hung on the underside of my porch roof so it's not directly exposed to the weather and I honestly don't think I would recommend it for places where it will get rained / snowed on. I'm sure it will be able to handle the ambient moisture / cold / heat from being outside but I don't think it would last long if you plan on mounting it directly in the elements - at least not unless you do some slight modifications to it like using caulk or silicone over the seams. The motion sensor function works great - it only comes on when it's dark and the sensitivity is perfect. Once it detects no motion for approx 10 to 15 seconds it goes right back out again. The light is very adequate for shining on a door so you can see the keyhole or find your way in a dark area.



UPDATE 9/17/2010: I wanted to add a couple of notes now that I have been using this light for six months. I had initially given this 5 stars but had to knock off a couple of stars due to some serious issues with the light. The light began staying on all night long when there was no motion - occasionally going off for a second and then coming back on again. Since it had been six months since I installed the light and the light was getting a bit dim I assumed that maybe it was because the batteries were dying. When I opened the door to replace the batteries white water poured out - the water was white due to the moisture inside the light corroding the batteries and they were leaking a lot of acid. It actually burned a little and the batteries were in such bad shape I'm surprised they were even able to turn the light on. As I mentioned above, my light is not exposed to any direct moisture at all - it's hung on my porch roof which has an eave that extends down one foot from the roof line and the light is mounted in the corner. No matter how hard it rains the light would never be able to get hit by water so apparently the ambient humidity is getting into the light and condensing inside. I was able to get the light working again by leaving the battery door off and letting the insides dry (inside the house) for a week - I think the water was causing the circuit board inside to short out. Before I put the batteries back in I sealed all around the lens and all the seams with silicone sealant. After I put the batteries in I sealed the battery door shut with Dap 18324 Seal 'N Peel Removable Caulk, 10.1-Ounce so hopefully that will keep moisture from entering. It really is a nice light and it's a shame the manufacturer didn't put a little more effort into making this more weather resistant. If you plan on using this outside at all I would recommend that you seal it up good first unless you live in a desert. As I mentioned the battery life is roughly six months, which is decent, but I think I expected more since it runs on 4 C cell batteries. Then again, maybe they would have lasted longer if they weren't soaked in water.

We park on the side of the house where there is no light so I started looking for an outside light that would be easy to install and wireless. The first night it was up I thought this has to be a bad unit since it didn't turn on when I drove up. Once I turned my headlights off and got out of the car it lit up and provides adequate lighting. The function of it only turning on in the dark was battery saving plus for me. I was afraid with the dog running by it all day we'd be buying a lot of batteries but it only turns on with a combination of darkness and motion. It's been outside on a pole without shelter since February and works great.

I love this light! Installed in minutes using only a screwdriver. Looks great! No wiring! Provides loads of light! Much better coverage than other LED lights that I have used. Automatically turns on when you approach leaving your hands free to unlock the door. I can think of at least two other locations where I can install others. Great item!

This detector does an amazing job for lighting small areas (25 sq ft). Its bigger than the photo would indicate (almost 6"x6"x6"). The 4 batteries fit in the sphere itself not the base. I mounted 1 outside above the doors of our shed and 1 inside the shed at a height of about 6'. The one side picks up a person about 5' away. Provides excellent light for about 25 sq ft with dimmer lighting for about 100 sq ft. Quality is fine for a sub $30 detector. Just installed so I have no idea how long the batteries will last.



Con: no sensetivity setting on motion detector. Not an issue in my case but some may want more/less then the pre-set.

I installed this light on my front porch about two weeks ago. I got the light because I didn't want to keep the front porch light and the driveway coach lanterns on when I or my wife or kids were out late. The plastic mounting plate has two #4 screws, and the light is easily removable from the mounting plate. The light seems very securely mounted by the two screws, and swivels and rotates to give illumination where you want it. My porch is about 6 feet wide, and the 6 LED's give a bright, almost newspaper-reading-quality, blue-white light to illuminate the door handle and keyhole. The motion sensor works well, turning on as I approach within about two feet of the door. The instruction sheet says the 4 C cells will last between 6 months to a year, "...depending on frequency of acivation...". The instruction sheet mentions that the light is for outdoor use, and the light and battery compartment seem to be sealed, or at least protected, for outside use. Overall, the light seems ideal for my use, but no telling yet how long lasting it will be. - Home Security - Motion Sensor - Led Light - Led'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information