Sunday 11 September 2011

Panasonic Camera - digital camera, panasonic


This camera is overall pretty good and has a competitive MSRP. However, be sure to consider the older but higher-end Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8. When Panasonic came out with the new FP1 and FP3 (the touchscreen version of the FP1), I was hoping they would be the same as the well-reviewed FP8 but with an improved look and a lens cover. Well, I was slightly disappointed.



Let's forget the gimmicky touchscreen FP3 and compare the FP1 to the FP8. The FP1 is $40 cheaper than the FP8 regarding market price (as of when I wrote this review) but it has:

-0.6x less zoom (4.0x rather than 4.6x)

-Mega OIS rather than Power OIS (Panasonic claims Power is 2x better, maybe dubious)

-No wide-angle lens (35mm rather than 28mm)

-80 shots less per battery charge (300 rather than 380)

-No zoom during video recording



Personally, that last drawback breaks the deal for me as I need the best video recording experience possible (and I've found that the FP8 has THE best 720p quality in point-and-shoot cameras under $200). But it's up to you on whether those drawbacks are worth the $40 savings. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP1 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)

I bought this camera solely on Consumer Reports ratings. I wanted a slim camera to carry in my pocket at parties, events, etc. with friends. I am not doing any "professional" photos, just fun pics. This camera is AWESOME!!! It is about $100 cheaper than comparable Nikon and Sony cameras, it does great with night pics, some movement, etc. I post all my party pics on FB and everyone talks about how good they turned out. I LOVE this camera!! Can't be beat for the price! Consumer Reports knows what they were talking about. :)

This is a great little camera to carry around for capturing images that come up while driving along or visiting somewhere. I have a Nikon SLR that I use for planned photographs, but this is a great camera to carry around for picture opportunities that pop up unexpectedly. It is small and very easy to use, and it has a rechargable battery that seems to have a very long cycle between charges. It uses a SDHC card that holds more pictures than you are likely to take before you download them, and the image quality is very good.

Do you wonder why the FP1 price has dropped to $79 from about $109 in the past 3 weeks ? (What was it a couple of months ago, about $169 !! ) I think I know why. I tried two different ones, and both have terrible glare on the lens and the glare has the same effect as if you were in a smoke-filled room !! This is true indoors, worse of course outdoors, and even is very visible in its videos. Its pictures look as though they need a polarizing filter...And if that weren't enough, the low-light ability w/o flash is just pitiful. So very disappointing compared to what I expected from Panasonic. Ok for $79, but it never should have started any higher.

All its pretty bells and whistles and durable body cant help.

I have a Panasonic DMC TZ3. It's a bulkier model but gets a 60x zoom, quite large for still a non-DSLR pocket camera. I liked the Lumix line by Panasonic. After playing with many ultra compact models in the store (Samsung TL205 with dual view and Samsung TL105), I decided this was the way to go! I am happy thus far. Please, let me say I am no expert, but I have had 5-6 digital cameras and can compare.



The good:

zooms up to 33.8x, which is HUGE for a camera this size (the optical zoom is internal! takes up no space but quite effective)

lots of scenes and modes to choose from

super small size (0.7" wide), smaller than my blackberry phone!

lightweight

sliding the cover down is an easy and quick power on, makes catching the 'right' moment easier when you don't have a long start up

very quick when using a SDXC card, class 4 or the higher the better

selects and determines the best scene and shot for you

speaker for playback of films is actually quite good



The Bad:

menu and scene selection is not as easy to go through as other models, needs a clicker or round changer on the unit itself (like choosing to film a movie, you must go through menu rather than hitting a button)

quite grainy and noisy in some modes, almost unusable. just have to find right ones



The Indifferent:

the camera colors are a little funky, choose wisely

when pressing buttons, you can notice a slightly 'cheaper' feel than others (the sound, the feel, etc.)



Overall it's a good, solid camera. I dont know if I would use it as my only camera because I personally like a nice, big zoom, but definitely a nice addition to the collection. Definitely great for beginners, people who take pics with friends, and casual shooting. It's no DSLR, but a good, daily pocket camera.

We used this camera on a recent trip to San Francisco and it worked great. The pictures were in focus, the color was good and we were very satisfied with its performance. Never had a problem with the battery, just charged it up each night even though it was far from being depleted. The controls are easy to use and intuitive if you've used a digital camera before. It's small, about the size of a deck of cards, so it fit in my shirt pocket or my wife's tiny purse without any problems and feels solid so you can take it with you everywhere.



If your a professional photographer, you might want something better, but if you just want pictures of your vacation and the family for pictures or screen savers, this camera is hard to beat and it's a lot easier to haul around than the big "professional" cameras.

My wife bought this camera through Amazon for Christmas for me.I needed a camera that was small enough to carry in my pocket and easy to use in the woods. After spending hours reading reviews and researching I determined this was the one I wanted.I have only taken a couple of pictures and one video with it just to try it out. The pics were in dim lit areas so I used the intellashot feature on the camera and all I can say is wow! My very exspensive Sony snapshot camera doesn't take pics as crisp and clear as this little camera does and for less than $80 bucks. I can't wait to take it out in the woods with me when the weather gets warmer and it will be with us on our next vacation. For taking snapshots and for the money this little camera can't be beat in my opinion. - Digital Camera - Photography - Point And Shoot - Panasonic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information