Saturday 24 September 2011

Playstation 3 - 1920x1080, monitor


I was almost ready to buy a GTX 460, a Nvidia 3D vision kit, and the Asus 23.6" 120HZ 3d monitor. This would have totaled to $640, ($490 if you have the proper card already). The Asus wasn't even back-lit LED.



Instead at the last minute I saw this, strangely without any reviews. I looked more into it, and apparently it was a new release, and some review on Newegg said the 3d looks impressive, so I took the risk and went ahead. Total cost $300 (the price seems to fluctuating up and down). The biggest con is there just isn't so much information about it online. The funny thing is, I still don't know some important details, which I will go into.





PROS:



Hands down, the cheapest way to get into 3d gaming, 3dwise the value doesn't get any better than this



The 3D Looks GOOD, no flickering



LED Backlit saves energy



1080p resolution, cinema aspect ratio (i.e. no bars on Hulu)



Comes with TRI-Def (3d conversion software for games and viewing photos/videos)



Cheap Polarized Lenses, and NOT tied to Nvidia Graphics Card to keep 3d





CONS:



2d wise, it is a typical run of the mill screen, blacks are disappointing, there is minor backlight bleeding, definitely doesn't have that WOW feel some displays have,



I can't find too much information about it. The 3d solution is TriDEF, (The same software AMD 3D uses) BUT, AMD does not list this as a compatible display. If you go to the downloads section on

Tri-Def, the LG is a separate download. I installed the "generic" TriDEF software and it did not work with the display. How much modification does TriDef do for the LG display? Is this a "standardized" 3d display that will continue to have updates? It's a mystery to me.



I do know that the Tri-Def software included is modified to the point that upon start-up it checks every time to make sure that the specific LG monitor is connected. If the monitor is not connected it will prompt you to enter a license key Not the biggest deal, though know that the included software ONLY works with the specific monitor.



The Tri-Def software does say that it does not support 3d Blu-Ray movies. If you hook up a 3d blu-ray player to this monitor, will it work in 3d? Third party sources say yes, though it can't be confirmed from LG's website.



Text is difficult to read in 3d mode (and in 2d mode with glasses on)



The Display is VERY bright (for 3d), though it's annoying to push it down every time you take off the glasses. (UPDATE- It is easier with Forte Manager, see bellow)



It's not REALLY 120hz, from my light understanding "tru-motion 120hz" is a technology that helps control motion blur you see on quick moving pictures.



Just like my old Samsung 226BW, it has a bright blinking blue light, fine for an office, but this is supposed to be a "cinema monitor". Why the distracting blue light? And when it's sleeping it starts blinking, so you have to turn it off if it's in your bedroom. (UPDATE- Install "Forte-Manager" [...] , you can actually turn off the power light in the settings (Note forte manager does not work via a VGA cable) Well played LG







Conclusion:



I didn't really elebaroate in the Pros, but the 3d effect is pretty cool, and it does work well. This has the advantage over active technology of giving you two simultaneous images, (so no flicker effect), though it has the Con that in 3d mode you really aren't seeing 100% 1080p. I've only really tried it in WoW, and I have to say it's pretty cool. It does take some getting used to, and probably makes the game a bit harder, though as most describe it, the added depth you see into the screen is impressive.



Overall I'd say I'm quite happy of my purchase, though am admittedly a little concerned over future support. I really hope that AMD eventually lists this as a "compatible display". Just like the series of "Lost" I'm sure this review gave you more questions than it answered, though I'm sure in the next 30 days we will figure out the answers to these. You don't hear this very often, but shame on LG for lousy marketing. LG D2342P-PN 23-Inch Widescreen Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor

This monitor has a very bright screen with what I would judge are pleasing color renditions. Other reviewers have rated it average for rendition, but compared to my old monitor it was good. I bought the monitor primarily because it was an inexpensive way to get 3D, and as such it certainly is one of the least expensive 3D options. It works just fine with my AMD processor and built in GeForce 9100 video processor.



I tried both the included 3D glasses and ReadlD 3D glasses and both appeared to work about equally as well. The 3D essentially reduces the vertical resolution from 1080 to 540 pixels. The produces obvious black lines when viewing with 3D glasses. In addition small text is not very readable. Non 3D text on the icons looks indistinct and hazy. It is possible to set back far enough to get rid of the black lines, but then you are getting both reduced vertical and horizontal resolution. The black lines and low resolution were not visible to my spouse, so it would depend on the viewer's sharpness of vision. I have 20/10 vision with my glasses, but even with them off I notice the black lines.



I have a large number of 3D pictures taken with my Fuji 3D camera and also scanned 3D slides dating back to the 1950s. So I was able to compare a number of pictures iusing the free "Stereo Photo Maker" in interlaced mode. Some looked good, but with dimished resolution, while others had ghosting. The ghosting was often critically dependent on the vertical position of your head and at some positions it was possible to remove it on some slides. But some had ghosting both at the top and bottom which could not be removed. Sometimes it could be minimized by viewing the slides close to the monitor, but often one set of ghosts could only be removed at the expense of making the others worse. I do have a side by side 720P 3D movie which was not too bad when viewed at a distance from the screen. The motion apparently mad the ghosting less obvious and more tolerable. I also used the TriDef 3D viewer which came with the montor, but it didn't seem to do a better job.



Formats are not well standardized so I was not able to properly play the native Fuji movie AVI format. When played through TriDef it was only 2D, and when played through 3D Movie Maker the picture was in 3D, but I had no sound. Slides in either side by side or the native Fuji MPO formal could be played adequately.



So while the monitor certainly does provide 3D reproduction at a very modest price, the downside is the reproduction with ghosting. My spouse did not seem to mind the ghosting as much as I did, so this problem may be tolerable to some users. I would recommend buying it with satisfaction guaranteed return priveleges. Since it works without a special graphics board, and the glasses are lightweight as well as inexpensive, some users may be willing to tolerage the defects. The Samsung passive monitor is due to be released in 2012 and it promises full resolution. It may be well to wait for that monitor, but since the technology is more complicated it will probably be higher priced. But it will still have the advantages of the lightweight glasses without the need for an expensive add on graphics board. I find that my old Realist slides still give the best 3D reproduction compared to the LG monitor. Not only is the depth superb, but figures have natural rounding and do not look flat unlike the digital reproduction. - 1920x1080 - Monitor - 27 Inch - 24 Inch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information