Sunday 4 September 2011

Reconditioned Tools - hardwood flooring nailer, cleat nailer


I am a do-it-yourselfer who decided to put hardwood flooring in the living and dining rooms. Point one, I way underestimated how long it would take. I rented an air compressor and air assisted nailer from Home Depot for a total of $95 for one day and was disappointed in how little progress I made (it goes slower than you think).

For the price of renting a nailer for one day this side nailer is yours to keep forever, which means take as long as you want and don't worry about getting back to the rental store on time. Generally speaking a factory reconditioned unit is given a good quality check before it is released and I had only one problem with this tool and it was one I caused myself by double nailing in the same hole that caused a nail to jam in the chute. The plate and spring mechanism was easily taken apart, jam cleared and back to work. The jamming was my fault. The gun works smoothly, it comes with a hammer. There was one small nick on the one I received indicating it was previously used but at the price comparison of recon vs. new that was not an issue. Even if you are not sure what you are going to do with a side nailer in your tool collection after you have finished the flooring job, the price of buying factory recon vs. rental makes it worth while. Factory-Reconditioned Bostitch U/MFN200 Manual Flooring Cleat Nailer Kit

This item looked and performed like a brand new one. We had no problems using it. The metal side of the mallet is angled so that it is easy to tap the board into place without damaging the face. Hitting the plunger both drives a cleat and snugs the board up to the previous row. Even slightly curved boards straighten up without prying if you use a firm swing.



We installed about 1100 square foot of 3/4" cypress tongue and groove on our floor. This item was indispensable. We used cleats that we picked up at lowes for about $15 a box. We used 3 1/2 boxes of FLN200 qty 1000, placing a cleat at least every 8".



If you pull out the cleat feeder bar at the back of the tool, you an use the tool on the second row from the starting wall. (5.25 inch boards) The cleats are heavy enough to feed themselves. Because of the space needed to swing the mallet, I had to use a regular hammer and nails starting at the 2nd to last row.



The tool is symmetrical, so it works just as easily for lefties.

If you don't have the money for a pneumatic nailer, this is the way to go. I bought my tool new, but I've purchased reconditioned tools from Amazon and been very satisfied with the tool and the price. Far cheaper than renting (unless you have a very small job), and if your local rental place has a well-used tool this will work far better. One caveat: you have to be able to hit this thing HARD for it to work. Think about it- you're driving a spike flush with only one blow. That requires a certain amount of accuracy and a fair amount of force. And you have to be able to do it over, and over, and over ..... and over! Out in the open floor it's not bad, but working in close quarters or at a funny angle can be a challenge. And trying to hammer in a partly sunk asymetrical spike can be a nightmare. So, if you have some experience, a fair amount of upper body strength, and a willingness to break a sweat this is your tool. The rest of you may want to consider the merits of a pneumatic tool, or professional installation.

It was a complete waste of money for me. I couldn't drive a single nail fully using this nailer. No matter how hard I hit with the mallet, it never sets the nail in completely.



After trying it for couple of hours, decided to give up. I ended up renting a pneumatic nailer and compressor from the local rental place and that worked like a charm and was able to finish my floor installation very quickly.



I thought I was getting a bargain, but ended up with a $100 tool which doesn't work. I don't think I can return it, since it is past 30 days period.



Update (10/10): Customer service contacted me and let return the tool for full refund(even though it is past 30 days). Very impressed with the customer service quality.

The tolerances are too lose. Failing 20%. Many times it won't set the nails fully, there appears to be no adjustment(other than shiming the base). At times it drops 2 nails sending 1 almost correctly and the other thorough the corner of the board leaving it protuding half way. Not what I expect of Bostitich. I would have bought a cheap air-nailer if it was half this bad. (I didn't what to carry a compressor or hear it.)

I have used 3 air-nailers. The Porter Cable was the best.

One of the other reviews stated it was hard to use because 'you have to hit all in 1 shot everytime'. No, there is a ratch system. Apparently he didn't use it.

Last year it was $150 then $129 by Dec. Now $59 ??

First of all, mad props to Tool King, who totally handled the return of this tool quickly and professionally--you guys rock.



OK, now to the tool. I own several Bostich pneumatic power tools (roof nailer, frame nailer, trim nailer) which I bought partly for the reputation and partly for the 7 year warranty. I've been happy overall with those tools so I figured I couldn't go wrong with this basic, simple, man-powered tool. I mean, this technology is about is old as it gets: only one moving part in the entire tool and you bang it with a hammer to set the nail. I mean, COME ON--how do screw that up as a tool maker?



I'll tell you how--by using cheap, low-quality steel for the firing pin--which broke within two days of buying the tool. There's a thin piece of metal that the entire tool relies on to work--and that piece of metal snapped right in two with very little use. Of course, the tool was under warranty--but the closest service center was in DEERPARK, TX--30-40 miles from downtown Houston--one of the largest cities in the country. The part costs $5, but I didn't have the time or inclination to let me job grind to a halt while I went down there and had those guys order the part, etc.--so I went straight to Home Depot, rented the EXACT same tool, sent mine back to Tool King--and ALMOST finished my job (installing 1400 s.f. of white oak flooring) before the EXACT SAME PART broke on that tool--about two rows from the finish line. So, $85 in tool rental costs and two trips to Home Depot later, my job was done the Bostich floor nailer was on its way back to Tool King.



You know, I wish the propellerheads at Bostich would read these review and take them to heart. Because to save .10 on the manufacture of this tool they cost me a lot of time--and themselves the sale of a tool. If we can put a man on the moon Bostich should be able to make a f*@%#ing manual floor nailer that doesn't break so easily. It's gonna cost them a LOT more in the long run--in returned tools & warranty repairs--not to mention lost sales from disgruntled buyers... Get a clue, Bostich. - Floor Nailer - Hardwood Flooring Nailer - Cleat Nailer - Cpo Bostitch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information