Wednesday 7 September 2011

Ridgid - battery packs, lithium-ion


Ridgid has stranded thousands of customers of its combo tool packs that use the RIDGID 130377001 24-Volt Li-Ion Battery.

The Ridgid tools are wonderful, strong, and light to use, but the batteries are not worth anything as they fail (loose their capability to hold a charge) very quickly.

Ridgid didn't do their homework on these tools, and all I've gotten from Ridgid and Home Depot is a run around on my requests for help. RIDGID 130377001 24-Volt Li-Ion Battery

I have 4 , all self discharge in 1 month and their actual performance is worse than an 18v battery , even medium loads it will shut off. At least I have a lifetime service on them, these ,outside kits do not.. A 3 year warranty is the worst in the industry as well. Very disappointed. Ridgid cordless is a dressed-up DIY low end tool line. Read on forums on how may issues occur in even trying to get parts or replacements. Sorry I ever started buying them.

I never write reviews but I feel compelled to write this one. I bought this 4 piece set in 2007. Almost immediately the flashlight did not work and one the batteries crapped out. I used this set for alot of projects around the house but with one battery it was never easy. I bought ridgid tools because al of the plumbing tools were always top notch but their power tools are not the same. If I could do it over again I would take Dewalt in a heartbeat.

I bought the 3 piece set when they first came out and then i bought the saw The Hammer Drill has more power than my milwakee corded drill I only have one regret that i did not register them but its not given me a problem at all its the very best cordless set i have ever bought and will not have to buy another one again hopefully and I got them on sale they where less than the 4 piece set that came out a week later now I have been asked by every person wher i bought it and home depot does not carry them now so I can tell people to order this from Amazon They always come through

I bought the 4 Piece combo set from Home Depot back in 2007. Since then it has been used exclusively (not as a backup for corded tools) in numerous projects including the construction of a 3 stall garage with 2nd floor storage room, 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and 3 decks. The 24 volt LI batteries are about the only thing that provides power that even remotely matches a corded tool. Under heavy usage like repeated plywood cutting, or hammer drilling cement blocks in order to tapcon studs, it does drain battery rather quick, but as long as you have the spare battery charging, you should be OK. The second one invariably charges by the time the one in use drains. The key is to avoid the temptation to have both batteries in use on different tools at the same time. A 20x40 shed was hemlock sided (went through about 7000 decking screws) over 2 days by my contractor using my Ridgid XLi when temperatures were well below 30F this February. Not bad for 3 year old batteries. I got the Lifetime Service Agreement when I bought the set and I hope they keep on making the batteries for a few more years, so I can get replacements when they die (which they will do eventually). If I can get a set of replacements, I should be good for another 5 years or so, I'd think. Best $300 investment in power tools I have ever made.

"Ridgid" makes very good products & I'm impressed with their line of 24 volt cordless tools...the batteries provide ample power but ;ofcourse, being rechargeable they only last so long (about 2 yrs.). If well maintained you may get 3 yrs.+. Make sure to "register" your batteries & ask for "lifetime battery replacement" from "Ridgid", if you buy a "combo kit" it comes w/lifetime "repair & replacement" of the tools & batt.'s , a very good thing to have if you use your tools as I do (construction), daily use! Ridgid is right up there with Milwaukee & Dewalt...even Hilti. - Battery Packs - Lithium-ion - Rigid'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information