Friday 16 September 2011

Sealed Lead Acid Battery - 12 volt battery, security system battery


Original review: I ordered two of these batteries from Amazon and received free shipping since I am an Amazon.com prime member. They arrived on time but the box they were in was damaged. Suspecting poor handling by the shipper, I opened the box to discover that it was the packaging not the shipping that caused the damage. There was no padding or protection of any type - no air bags, no peanuts, nothing - the pair of approx. 2 1/2" x 3" x 4" batteries were in a 4" x 8" x 10" box. The terminals were not covered and the two batteries could have come in contact with each other and shorted out. It's scary to imagine what that might have done. The terminals on one of the batteries are smashed flat against the top of the battery and will no doubt break off if I try to straighten them. After seeing the damage, I decided to return them to Amazon only to get this message:

"For safety reasons, items that are classified as hazardous materials or use flammable liquids or gases cannot be

returned to Amazon.com. Customers should dispose of hazardous materials according to Local, State and Federal regulations. Customers should contact their local government or local waste company for directions on how to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste."

So, beware, you may waste $35 like I have if your batteries arrive unusable. It came as a real surprise to me that a company can sell a product and not have any liability to replace it if it arrives defective - I've never experienced that with any other company. And, yes, I know these reviews are for the item not the seller. I believe a zero star is applicable for the item since it arrived defective and I am stuck with it whatever the reason.



Update: Careful work with screwdriver, pliers, and a soldering gun allowed me to put these batteries in the backup power supply for my garage opener. They work fine, so I am changing my rating to 4 stars since the batteries themselves seem to be good quality. I hope the distressed terminals do not break off.



Update 2/22/2011: Ordered another one of these for a security system. Amazon has fixed their packaging. This one arrived with the terminals well protected and the battery was in a box that fit it perfectly. This box was wrapped in plastic air bag padding and put in a larger shipping box. UPG UB1250 Sealed Lead Acid Batteries

Right now Radio Shack (the only place I can find them) is selling these batteries for 35 bucks. I got this at around half the price, and of course combined it with other stuff to get the free shipping deal.



The battery came packed in the brown box with an air bag. The battery had some cheap plastic thing over it, but that's it, no individual box or anything ("OEM" I guess). The terminals come with covers but they were loose in the box. The red terminal was bent a bit (easily fixed with pliers) and there is a strange rattle inside the battery, like something inside broke during shipping. These issues didn't inspire confidence.



Having said all that, once installed, the battery seems to be working fine. We'll see if it actually lasts 4-5 years.

I ordered two 12 volt batteries listed as suitable replacements for my Belkin UPS. Upon receipt, I discovered the power terminals on the batteries are too narrow to allow the cable connectors coming out of the UPS to properly tightly grip onto the battery power tabs. Every attempt to attach the UPS cables(power and short jumper cable)and then carefully slide the battery/cable assembly back into the UPS housing resulted in loose or open connections. All because the replacement batteries have a narrow (.187") power tab width instead of the original wider (.250") tab width needed for a tight grip on each of the 4 terminal posts. I finally realized the futility of this situation and attempted to return them to Amazon only to find my return window had expired 1 day earlier. So, if you are expecting exact battery replacements for your application you may be surprised to find you can't actually use or return them!

It was shipped VERY fast - twice as fast as designated. It had protective caps, arrived already charged, and was a perfect fit into my UPS. I've had the unit installed for a couple of months now. After a week or so, it seemed to peak charge itself and held a longer charge.



I have had two street power outages since installing the unit, one for a few seconds and one for 2 or 3 minutes, and it handled both of them just fine.



Just a note - I recycled my old unit locally. It's nice to avoid landfills with these things.

I bought this here at Amazon to replace the same exact backup battery for my ADT home security alarm. It works like a charm with no problem. It's been running for a month now and I don't expect to replace it for another 3-5 years.

We purchased this battery and installed on 4/1/10. At that time it measured over 12 volts and thought it solved our problem. Not even 4 months later we began having alarm beeps. When the battery was measured, it read 10.77 volts, which was not sufficient to power a 12 volt requirement. I contacted the seller and they refused to consider any returns, saying it was only warranted for 30 days and I should contact the manufacturer. Well, I can tell you, anyone who has ever bought any battery would not find this acceptable. If your AA Duracell lasted this short of a time, you would take it back to the store. Their batteries are defective and they will not stand behind them. Do not buy from this seller. You are better off to spend the same amount or even twice as much and have a battery that is not a second and a company that accepts responsibility for their product.

I bought this to replace the original battery in my security system, which lasted for five years. This was exactly the same battery at half the cost the security company wanted to charge for a replacement. It worked perfectly once it was connected and has not provided any problems one month into installation. I will provide updates in terms of longevity. - Sla - 12 Volt Battery - Security System Battery - Battery Backup'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information