Thursday 8 September 2011

Usb Sound Card - sound card, usb


Amazon won't update the listing on this item, but the "Microphone Jack" is a joke at best. Most microphones require "plug-in power", a small amount of power from the jack that amplifies the signal. This does not provide any power. What that means is that most PC microphones won't work, and those that do will be at a low volume with high noise. The sound outputs seem to work fine, but the mic input is a waste of space and money. It will probably work if you use a microphone is self-powered, but not very versatile. that Don't buy it!



Griffin Technology 9066-IMIC2 iMic/USB Audio Interface

This product is vastly superior, and supplies phantom power. Get it instead. External 5.1 USB 3D Audio Sound Card Adapter for PC Desktop Notebook Laptop

I picked this up to try to use it as an auxilliary sound device for my Macs after my iMic died; I figured that if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out much. But it works very well; plug it in and it's recognized, without any driver installation. The out-bound sound quality seems very good. All in all, you can't beat the performance for the price.

I won't beat around the bush, this is a terrible product. I was looking for something to allow Mic level recordings on my computer (Macbook Pro) and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on an iMic. I found this remarkably cheaper device, and decided to try it instead. When I got it, the first thing I thought upon seeing the packaging was how un-professional it looked. The box looks like something someone printed off their computer, and it even had spelling errors on it. When I popped the device out of the box it came apart in my hand. Right then I knew I had made a mistake. It comes with a minidisc that 1. doesn't fit in a mac, and 2. only had PC software on it. Of course the box and the product page don't say what platform this device is for, and indeed my Mac did recognize it when plugged in. However, when I switched over to USB audio out, my ears were nearly blown out. There was absolutely no way to control the volume. Upon plugging in a Mic, I found the device didn't even respond The audio in channel lights up half way as though it's picking up some signal, but it doesn't make a sound (tested with Line In and Garage Band and no response). This is a shoddy, unprofessional product that should be avoided at all cost. Don't be cheap, I'm sure the iMic is loads better.

I wanted this for both listening and mic usage. For simply listening, its okay, but for use with the mic it is unacceptable. It creates a dreadful amount of high pitched noise. I've tried a variety of configurations but so far without success.

I picked this unit up to provide sound and mic for an ear boom headset to take with me in my laptop bag so I can use my Skype line. I have an acer gemstone that I picked up a year ago at a Walmart doorbuster special, and the built in mic never worked. I was a little nervous purchasing this product, given the reviews, but the price was right so I gave it a chance.



Wow, what a refreshing surprise this turned out to be! I plugged in the boom headset, plugged the unit into the USB port of my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop, it showed up automatically in the volume control, adjusted the mixer settings a bit, and it worked perfectly. The sound going into the mono earpiece was perfect, and everyone I've talked to over my Skype line has said I sound crystal clear, like on a real phone, or at least a decent cell connection.



I would recommend this to anyone looking to do Skype or voice over IP. Its always best to have a separate sound system when doing VOIP, as your primary sound typically interferes with your reception. This is an awesome solution to the second sound card problem, its ultra portable, has perfectly crisp sound with no interference



For what I was using it for worked great, but what about music? I reconfigured the sound server to use the little device to play back music, and wow, amazing sound came out of the headphones! This unit can more than replace your current sound system. It even seemed to provide more backbone to the music than the internal HDA sound built into my laptop.



So for doing VOIP, or replacing a sound card that just isn't working for you, or providing sound to a machine that lacks it, this little unit is for you. It works 110% for me on Ubuntu 8.10.

I broke the headphone jack on my laptop, and to get it fixed would cost me hundreds because it's part of the motherboard. So i got this and it works fine for my headphones or external speakers. It uses its own sound card which is pretty decent. My internal sound card is pretty basic itself anyway. I don't use the microphone function so i cant comment on that.

Easy plug and play mini microphone. As I got tired of hooking up a mic on a stand or putting a headset on this little guy conveniently plugs into one of my USB ports and I forget about it - nothing that dangles or flops around. The sound quality is very nice and volume easily adjustable. One of the reviews here have been negative but there are two products - one is a mic and the other a playback only device which I have not tried.

For speakers or headset this produces an acceptable sound. However, the speaker input produces low volume fuzzy and crackly noise. I tried in two PC's running XP and Vista with the same results. Plug the same mike into the rear input jacks and the mike works fine. If you need to use just the speaker output on this it works fine. I bought it to use for Skype, but it is useless for that.

This USB mic input and audio output appears to have promise, but the audio output level is too strong for headphones and it generates electrical noise from the USB.



Apparently, they could not decide between driving headphones or speakers, so they picked speakers and that means the volume level must be turned almost all the way down so it does not hurt your ears when good headphones are used. The audio output quality seems very muddy.



I bought this because my MacBook Pro does not have a mic amplifier, but when the device is plugged into the USB, electrical noise, a continuous buzz and click, is picked up by my headphones. The noise occurs even when my headphones are plugged into a different audio out and the volume is turned all the way down, so the interference is probably electromagnetic noise.



I don't know if this noise problem occurs on other laptops, but the device is in an unshielded, un-grounded plastic case, and that is a recipie for electromagnetic interference.



The "3D Sound" hype is a marketing gimmick since the outputs are still only stereo. - Sound - Usb - Junk - Sound Card'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information