Friday 9 September 2011

yoga mat - yoga mat


I enjoyed using this Jade mat for the past 10 months or so. My only real gripe is that it wore out so quickly. To be fair, though, it didn't last any longer or shorter than my previous mats. But for the price, I had hoped that I could get more than a year of use out of it.



The mat is heavier and thicker than most mats. It is also, at least initially, perhaps a little less sticky than some of the other mats I've used. Once in a while I did have some trouble slipping on the mat during my practice, but this was due to sweat, and I doubt any other mat would perform better in this respect.



For the money, I would probably go for a Manduka mat. That's what I've switched to, and I have no complaints. The benefit of a Jade mat, however, is that it is more ecologically friendly since it is, I believe, constructed entirely out of biodegradable material, which is something you can't say for most mats, including the Manduka. Jade Harmony Professional 68-Inch x 3/16-Inch Yoga Mat (Purple)

I had been on the lookout for a decent non-slip mat for some time. Fortunately, not only did I find a good one, but it's environmentally friendly too! And in colors (early rubber mats were in white...snore)!



The cushion is nice too, especially if you attend classes at a studio with a hard floor surface (those thin, plastic mats just don't cut it on hardwood). It *is* heavier than the average mat, so you'll feel the difference rolling it up and carrying it around. Plus it doesn't slide in and out of my cloth yoga mat bag like the plastic mats, so I've given up the mat bag for velcro straps. There's a heavy rubber smell in the beginning, but that goes away with time.



Easy to clean too ~ I just rub down with anti-bacterial wipes. I can't comment on durability yet, as I've only had this mat for about 3 months. But I use it nearly every day and drag it back and forth to class, and it's as solid as the day I bought it.

I've used a Jade harmony yoga mat for more than 2 years in a regular vinyasa practice. I remember it had a rubber smell at first, but the smell didn't bother me at all (it's weird but I actually liked the smell).



I saw a couple reviewers said it was slippery and not durable - I have had the opposite experience. It's lasted more than 2 years and still has much life to it. It's slightly worn where my downdog hands and feet go, but has actually given me more traction in those places. I should also say I'm an advanced yogi and am very rough on it. It's also great for traction. I've tried Wai Lana and other mats and this one is definitely the best. It does get slippery if I'm completely drenched with sweat, so I don't practice hot yoga without a towel on it. But I typically sweat a lot and my slippage is fairly minimal.



Tip for cleaning - every 3-4 practices I take my mat in the shower with me and rinse both sides with water, then let hang dry. No chemicals and it's kept it clean and in great condition. I can't speak highly enough of this mat.

The mat is indeed very non-slip when it's clean. But when it's not clean, it's very slick, worse than the worst sticky mat. The problem is that its open cell construction (like a sponge) soaks up sweat and body oils voraciously. The only way to clean it thoroughly is to soak it because the oils and such soak deep into the mat and wiping doesn't clean it. Since it's a big rubber sponge it takes days to dry after soaking it. Even worse than the slipping is that it starts to stink pretty quickly when it's not clean. So it's been quite a chore keeping my mat clean enough to enjoy. I'm tossing this one when it turns six months and going back to a normal sticky mat. I'd rather deal with the slipping using a towel than bother with cleaning this mat anymore.

I was so frustrated with those so called "sticky mats" and skidless towels, I left everything to try a jade harmony mat.

This product worked really well for my slipping issues. When my yoga classes get really hot however, i do notice I may slide a little in down dog but it is nothing like any other mat I've tried.



Some people complain about the weight of the rubber mat, since it comes in 3 different thicknesses. Since I have scoliosis and want to carry as little as possible on my back, I chose to get the thinnest rubber mat (1/8" travel mat). While at the yoga studio, I place one of their common mats under my mat for added cushion. I also recommend doing this since the rubber mat tends to be a dust magnet. So if the floor isn't the cleanest (say if you practice at a gym studio), dust, hair and fuzz tends to attract to the mat.



The smell of the harmony mat is overwhelming when you first get it. It would make my entire room smell of rubber when I was trying to air it out. The smell, however, fortunately goes away over time. Just make sure you air it out for as much as possible.



I've had my harmony mat for about 10 months now and I don't notice any wear on it. - Yoga Mat'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information