Thursday 1 September 2011

Greatest Hits Series - anthologies, collection


I have the three volume edition that doesn't seem to be listed at Amazon right now, but it includes volumes one to three in the series. As a fan of golden age SF, this is a great deal. The first volume includes John W. Cambell, Tom Godwin and Andre Norton. The second includes H. Beam Piper, Mack Reynolds and E.E. Doc Smith. The third volume includes Mary Shelley, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and Edgar Rice Burroughs.



As prior reviewers have noted, the Menu feature does not highlight "table of contents", but there is a table of contents of sorts for each volume. Navigation requires the following:



Menu --> Go To --> Cover --> forward side arrow to the Table of Contents. Then you go to the Volume and hit enter. That gives an underlined for each author. Entering on their name gives a list of each book. It would be easier to have a link directly from the Menu to the table of contents, but what do you expect from public domain golden age SF that's copyrighted in the Kindle edition?



The early John Campbell Arcot-Morey-Wade space operas are quite good, but after starting "The Black Star Passes", I skipped ahead to read one of my favorite novels from my childhood "Star Born" by Andre Norton. Several years ago, I paid more for a paperback edition of "Star Born" than I did for the Kindle collection that includes it. The only gripe I'd have is the prequel "The Stars Are Ours!" is not in the collection. That and Star Born were separate Ace Doubles that later came out in single paperback editions, but they should be side to side in any modern collection. The Ultimate Science Fiction Collection: Volume One (22 Books)

I am surprised that they call this the Ultimate Science Fiction Collection when two of the books I have read are not. Ralestone Luck and Rebel Spurs are science fiction? In what universe could they be considered such? They cannot even be considered fantasy. They are fiction and nothing more. I am glad this book only cost me $1. I am half way finished with the book and it looks like the next story is another one that cannot be considered Sci-Fi. Very disappointed.

I was looking forward to reading the stories included in this collection only to find - after downloading it - there is NO TABLE OF CONTENTS. I realize it's not a high priced item but the collection is worthless without a table of contents. So sad. - Greatest Hits Series - Collection - Science Thriller - Anthologies'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information