Monday 26 September 2011

One Person Inflatable Kayak


I'm a student who has barely any money for fun things, so I decided to buy a kayak so I could have a lot of fun with just a one time "fee". It's perfect for being only around $80.00. I have no complaints since it's my first kayak and I have nothing to compare it to. I do highly recommend buying a different paddle, the one included isn't too comfortable and efficient since it's on the short end. People who complain about it's "tracking"(going straignt while paddling) need to understand this is not a touring kayak made of carbon fiber. It's an $80 inflatable kayak. I've taken it out on lakes around 20 times so far in the last two months and have had only one leak. The leak was from me being dumb and taking it to the ocean where a shell made a nice little tear. This was easily fixed with the included repair kit. All 20 trips have been for at least one hour. Two of those were "long" trips(6 miles round trip). It holds up fine in strong winds and mild waves. On my second long trip the winds were 20mph with 30mph gusts and about 2ft waves. It's pretty fun and you definitely get splashed, here in Florida that feels good though. There's a good bit of space behind the seat to store items as well as in the front where your feet go in. It does include an inflatable "foot rest". I'm not exactly sure what it's called but it helps with maintaining proper posture. It deflates in 5 minutes and fits into a small 2x2 bag which fits perfectly in any trunk. I highly recommend this if you need a way to get out on some water but don't have the money or space for a "higher-end" model. Intex Challenger K1 Kayak

My husband I enjoy kayaking and once we saw the prices of fiberglass kayaks, we hesitated to buy. I saw this inflatable kayak on Amazon and showed my husband who told me not to get it because they would puncture easily and blow away or fill up with water quickly- he could not have been any more wrong. After purchasing two, we took them on their maiden voyage today and both of us were very surprised; they were easy and quick to inflate and navigated perfectly in the water. The material of the kayak is very thick and durable and I am in the process of having all of our friends purchase this item as well.

This kayak is a winner: excellent price and very good performance. I bought two of the one-man kayaks (one for me, one for friends and relatives). So far we have traveled 31 miles total spread across four separate river trips down the Rio Grande River (calm waters) here in New Mexico. I am 6'0" and weigh 190 lbs, and the kayak fit me fine. Others I have taken with me have ranged from my 6'2" son-in-law (length was OK for him) and a friend (205 lbs., weight was not a concern). The kayaks handled very well, and both trips were a real joy. Here are some observations:



- Inflation is very fast with the included high efficiency hand/foot pump. There are four air chambers, and the kayak has never taken more than about 4 minutes to inflate. I throw the pump into the kayak behind my seat when we take off, just in case I need to top up later (which I never have had to do).



- Storage and transport are a breeze. The kayak stores in a small, cloth travel case about twice the size of a briefcase. At 25 pounds, it is relatively light weight. Once I had to carry the kayak about 0.5 miles to get to the river, and hauling that weight was not a big deal. I have carried the inflated kayak a few blocks hanging it on my shoulder, and it was easy to carry.



- The bungee cord storage area in the front is great for carrying a fanny pack, water bottle, sandals, spare paddle, etc. Also, there was more storage space behind the seat.



- Maneuvering is very easy, great for river use. There are two small plastic skegs (about the size of your open palm) under the boat to add a little directional stability. The skegs are at the center of the boat, which allows you to rotate easily while still maintaining a fairly consistent non-zig-zag rowing pattern. If this kayak were strictly for lake use, I think rear skegs would work better, but they would also restrict quick turning.



- Buoyancy is very good. The kayaks tend to bottom out on sand bars when there is less than 6" of water. Primarily, it is the skegs that hit since they are located directly below where you sit. But, hey, 6" of water clearance is not bad.



- The included paddles are good quality, but seemed a little short (they are 86"). After my first trip, I went to a local sporting goods store and bought 96" paddles, which worked much better.



- The vinyl construction seems good. However, one of my kayaks developed a leak (and later a rip due to my stupidity in not following repair instructions). I have since fixed the rip using VINYL cement (available at any awning supply store). The vinyl repair kit included with the kayak should be adequate for any small leaks you put in the kayak. I feel confident the kayak will last a long time (especially now that I know how easy it is to repair even a major issue like a rip which I helped cause). However, I am not sure I would take the kayaks into serious white water.



- You will get a little wet with any kayak, so wear a swim suit or nylon shorts. In calm water, most of the water gets in if you aren't careful when you launch or disembark. Carrying a small hand towel is a good idea, both for keeping your hands and sitting area dry, as well as wiping down the kayak after the trip to clean off any dirt or water prior to storage.



In summary, I was extremely pleased with this kayak. It appears durable and has taken me on a few river trips with excellent results. Hope to use it for many trips to come.

Based on the many 5-star reviews here (with which I agree) I bought two of these inflatable one-person kayaks - and could not be happier with the result. My grandson (age 16, 6'1", 185 pounds) and I (age 62, 6', 206 pounds) carried them as checked luggage to Italy - where we used them to explore the canals of Venice. Compared to the $140 cost of a 40 minute ride in a gondola, the cost of this kayak is a bargain, even after paying the airlines surcharge for a second "bag." And, we were free to explore the canals of our own choosing, at our own (leisurely) pace. Even better, we were able to do this at night, when the city is utterly quiet, free of the competing boats and gondoliers - a truly magical experience.



The product arrives very well packed - inside a sturdy display box which fits very snuggly into the (second) packing box. You could easily check the unopened box as luggage, without fear of puncture damage in transit. Also, the product comes with a black, high-strength, carrying bag - a sort of "tote-bag" shaped like a large briefcase. While it makes carrying the kayak easy and could be checked as luggage, I'm not sure it would offer sufficient protection against the airlines baggage-handling system. Rather than run the risk, I used cheap suitcases, mostly to gain the advantage of wheels.



I did not experience the difficulty some reviewers cited. The oars worked fine - we marveled at how sturdy (aluminum pole with plastic paddles) they are, not at all flimsy. There is no need to get an electric pump - this sedentary old geezer had no difficulty inflating his kayak. The instructions are easy to follow - and DO have an obvious and effective warning against over-inflating. A couple of reviewers cited the unpleasantness of water dripping onto them from the paddles - and recommend a longer paddle. While I also noticed this, not lifting the paddle quite so high out of the water seemed to be the cure - although I am intrigued at another reviewer's information that paddle "rings" can be added (at minimal cost) to catch the water.



For our limited purpose, this product was a dream.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information