Saturday 10 September 2011

Art Alternatives - acrylic paints, paint brush


I picked these brushes up from Michael's for $4.99 - a great price for all the brushes. I highly recommend being very extra thorough in cleaning the brushes prior to first use as after a casual cleaning to get the starching agent out, the brushes lost quite a few hairs on the first use. This problem has since resolved itself and while they're not my favourite brushes by any means, they are decent. Great for a beginner or someone who just wants to play around. :) Brush Bundle of 18 Hog Brushes in a Canvas Brush Holder

I recently tested these brushes by doing two projects. One was an acrylic painting on canvas, and the other was doing acrylic dry brushing technique on hand carved wood. These brushes were perfect! No bristle loss while painting on canvas. They held their shapes very well. They "loaded" paint wonderfully. During the dry brushing technique on wood again they performed beautifully. On one of the pieces of wood I needed to scrub a little harder than usual to get into some deeply carved detail and the bristles held! No bristle loss and while they tended to flair a little bit during the process they regained their shape when cleaned, formed and allowed to dry. I highly recomend this set. Don't let the low price fool you, they are quality!

Found this set in a craft store for a bit cheaper, in addition to the fact that I've used them twice and they're already falling apart. Acrylics are hard on brushes but this is ridiculous. Also, brushes shed quite a bit while painting.

They work, however started losing hairs pretty soon, and one of the brushes got blue paint up near the join to the handle, and I can't get it out.



For the price its not too bad, I might use the canvas bag for my knitting needles!

I don't want to keep the brushes in it as the hairs get all bent out of shape.

I decided to get back into acrylic painting after 110 years (did it when I was in college) and I needed some cheap brushes. I got these and they are way beyond my expectations. I've used them for acrylic and for blending watercolor pencil and they do a great job. It's well worth the money and I highly recommend these if you are looking for a lot of brushes at a very reasonable price. I plan to get another set just to have in case I need more! Oh and the canvas case and tall canister are very useful too! - Acrylic Paints - Art Alternatives - Art Supplies - Paint Brush'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information