Saturday 24 September 2011

Cable Modem


Works great. Easy, hassle-free setup, no software install required, just connect the cables, call your cable company to register the modem over the phone and you're done.



This is the only Energy Star rated cable modem I could find. Power adaptor is compact and electronic--not a brick-- so it doesn't get hot or waste energy. Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem - RoHS

This modem was economical and very easy to install. I simply disconnected my old Comcast modem, connected my new Motorola Surfboard modem, and called Comcast to give them my MAC ID (located on the modem). Within five minutes I was connected to the internet with the same great speed!

I purchased this modem to replace my leased Comcast modem because they were going up once again. The setup was easy just plugged it up and called Comcast to give them the mac address. The worst part of the deal is that Com freaking cast has yet to take it off of my bill so hopefully it will be off this month with a credit.



But the modem works great. But I also found that I could have gotten the same modem for a $1 difference from Walmart and not have to wait on the shipping.

After being placed on hold for 10 minutes with technical support, I was informed that Comcast wouldn't activate it because I didn't buy it from an "authorized retailer". The interesting part is that Best Buy is the ONLY authorized retailer. I asked the tech support rep if it's an issue of trust with the Motorola brand (counterfeiting, shoddy equipment, etc...) and he just towed the company line and said, "sir, I'm sorry, but you need to purchase this from Best Buy and not Amazon.com". I was flabbergasted.



As of the writing of this review, Best Buy is offering this same modem for $30 more than Amazon, and Comcast just raised their modem rental fees from $5 to $6.61 in my area. I can't help but wonder what kind of profit sharing setup they've got behind the scenes. This feels like marketplace manipulation, collusion, or some other anti-trust lawsuit waiting to happen.



I'll probably try to call back in another day or two and claim that I bought it from Best Buy. Maybe I caught a tech support rep on a bad day. If not, this modem is getting returned. I just wish Comcast didn't have a monopoly over my cable/internet service -- I'd drop them in a heartbeat.



EDIT: As posted below, I was able to successfully activate the modem via Comcast's Online Chat Support.

This modem rocks. Set up was simple, I plugged it in hit the internet, was redirected to Comcast's web page to register the modem, plugged in my account number followed the prompts and was online in minutes. This replaced an RCA 10mbs modem I was renting from Comcast. I had been having issues with log delays loading pages. Bandwidth speeds tests were coming back at 7-9 mbs on downloads and 1 mbs on uploads. With the Motorola SURFboard SB5101U I jumped to a consistent 18-23 mbs on downloads and 2.5 - 2.9 mbs on uploads, when it comes to computers this is the best $50 I have ever spent!

This review is for Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem. I got this because the cable company raised the rental rates on cable modems again. This product is the retail version of the same modem I was renting (a Motorola SURFboard SB5120). The only difference is the rental unit had a standby button on top to disconnect the ethernet or usb output while not disconnecting the cable link - this unit (SB5101) does not have that feature.

This unit has both USB and eternet connections so can be connected to your computer either way. If the USB connection is used, a driver is requiered (included on the CD that comes with the modem). Set up is easy - plug in the cables and power cord, call the cable internet provider and give them the MAC address from the sticker on the bottom of the unit - that's it. It took me less than 10 minutes and has performed flawlessly ever since.

Purchased this modem to replace an older Linksys modem that used to have intermediate problems occasionally slowing the download speed to a crawl. Before calling Comcast to have their rep checking house connections, I decided to give it a try. What a difference it made!

I'm consistently getting the highest download and upload speeds and could not be happier.

This is a good Modem. I simply replaced my Comcast modem with this one. No problems. Just works fine out of the box. It is the same modem comcast rents to you. You must call to register the new modem with Comcast.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information