Tuesday 6 September 2011

Camcorder Case - zi8 case, zi8


== Silicon Sleeve for the Kodak Zi8 ==



PROS: (Unfortunately) this is the only silicon sleeve available for the Zi8 as of yet. The material is very smooth to the touch (good for slipping into pockets!) and does well to protect most of the camera. It's engraved with "Kodak" and "HD" on the rear and front--respectively--so it feels "genuine." And if you haven't removed it yet, this sleeve is also good for covering the loud and juvenile "YouTube!" sticker (don't ya think?) that Kodak stuck to the front of the Zi8.



CONS: The sleeve is NOT anti-static--it was covered with a thin layer of dust nearly 20 minutes after I took it out of the package (of course, this might also mean I need to vacuum!). You can wipe it dust-free easily, but annoying nonetheless, especially if you carry the camera in a (lint-y) pocket. Most distressing is the bizarre "custom" cut, which in some places, seems like it was cut generically rather than specifically for the Zi8. Also, Kodak ignored covering a small but important portion of the front of the Zi8 near the controls--a strange omission worth noting. Perhaps MOST annoying are the side pieces--thin strips that run along the front sides of the Zi8. They're flimsy and thin enough such that just by gripping the camera normally, you cause them to flex and move around.



BOTTOM LINE: It'll have to do for now, and it IS another layer of protection for the Zi8. But static dust and a poor cut means another design is badly needed. I know that many of us, eager to make the Zi8 more rugged, will be waiting! Kodak 1736933 Zi8 Silicon Sleeve (Black)

This is a useful product. It covers the Zi8 nicely and gives it a good grip...and easily slips on and off.



Holes are in the important places. Note another reviewer said a hole exists for no reason....this is actually for the infrared sensor in case you want to use a remote.



The only time you need to take the sleeve off is to change the battery or use the USB arm (which I never use since I just take out the SD card to transfer video...you don't need to remove the sleeve for this).



Yes, it collects lint, like most other silicone sleeves I've seen (e.g., for blackberries, iphones, etc). But that's really irrelevant given the protection and grip you get....granted, its not gonna help if you drop it on concrete, but it will prevent dings and scratches.



Amazon's service was great, as usual.

I like this product for the protection, if you accidentally dropped the camera, but the only reason why I give it 4 stars was the case covers the speaker in the front. I didn't notice it until I was playing the video and was wondering why the volume was so low after turning it up to the max, then I pulled off the case and the sound was clearer. I had to carefully cut out a portion of the rubber case so the speaker would show thru and it worked fine.



On the previous reviews I read about the static, which is true, but I bought a static guard spray, took off the case and sprayed it down and it helped alot.

The case serves its purpose by protecting the camcorder and most importantly creating a better grip (all tat shiny material is slippery) However, you will not be able to access the USB cable without taking the sleeve off first.

Pros: saves your product from bumps and nicks. gives you the basic protection.

Cons: two most prominent trouble areas are (1) Doesn't protect the camera lens part, which seems to protrude (a bit) out of the rubber protective casing, thus leaving it highly vulnerable to scratches (when the camera is placed on any hard surface for example); (2) USB part of the camera cannot be used with the cover on.

I got the video camcorder for my birthday two months ago and thought we have come a long way since the Hi-8 tapes of yesteryear so when I got this I was very pleased. I wanted to protect the little guy so I sought out a cover, but I'm a grown-up man and I wasn't looking for anything cute or cheap. I also wasn't entirely in love with the color of the camcorder (was hoping it was going to be black) so it was a good way to solve that dilemma without upsetting my g.f. So I bought this one and it fit like a glove! It was slick, sturdy, and added a nice touch to the camcorder. It's not bulky but it's sturdy enough to slide it in and keep a snug fit.



I was very pleased with the purchase price and I look forward to seeing how it holds up over time.

The case fits well.

Has all the cut outs for the camera controls.

Thick Silicone- More added protection.

Has grooves to better hand hold the camera.

Bad things-

Macro mode is hard to select with case, mainly due the macro mode switch being located

on top of the camera.

Transferring video requires removing the case. Sucks.

Overall- good case. Really good.

I would buy again...

This is a good fitting sleeve. The two front sides strips (on the sides of the screen) are a bit thin, but have not torn or stretched at this time. The texture offers good grip. I would have preferred a sleeve/case that had a built in screen protector, but I could not find any for this camera. I simply added a universal screen protector cut to fit. Overall, I rate this 4 out of 5 due to the thin strips on the sides and not built in screen protector. I recommend a buy, unless someone decides to offer one with a screen protector. - Case - Camcorder Case - Zi8 - Zi8 Case'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information